1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cable or Satellite?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by y2craig, Sep 15, 2008.

1. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Good heavens, I just moved recently and I am undecided on cable or satellite.

For satellite service I am looking at DirecTV whereas for cable my only choice is Time Warner. FIOS is not available where I live in this area ... go figure.

DirecTV is a little cheaper at the moment until after 12 months, but gets more channels than cable. Drawback: paying for extra receivers and weather (so I hear).

TWC: I can at least connect multiple TVs after the digital cable, but the price is not cheap.

I hope to have something by this weekend to catch up on college and pro football ... I missed OSU getting crushed by USC. Anyone have any thoughts on satellite v cable?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I have DTV

I dont think Time Warner has The NFL Network so that alone makes the decision for me.

DTV also has way more HD channels than anyone else. At least around here they do.

With DTV you do have to pay $4.99 per month per reciever but Cox is the alternative here and i have to pay for their recievers too. Cox also at the time, was going to charge me $7.00 a month for NFL Network where it was incuded in DTV.
    DTV was cheaper for me. My only gripe was getting somebody worth a crap to install it.

3. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Yeah, that is what I heard. In addition, which you are 100% correct about, TW does not have The NFL Network. Once again I am leaning towards DTV.

By the time I make up my mind the draft will be taking place. :unsure:

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Time Warner has The NFL Network but Direc TV is better... :tup:

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Where? :icon_huh:

Time Warner still doesn't have the NFL Network. My area was Adelphia, which had NFL Network. Then TW bought them out and they took it away. It's still not in the channle line up.

Y2K-
    Costco also has the receivers too for about $169. DirecTV will give you a decent deal to start, but the additional receivers might cost a bit.

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I thought it did...

7. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    So how much does Direc TV cost in this area? Including being connected to another TV?

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    we have DTV with 1 HD DVR, 1 regular DVR and 1 regular receiver. We have SHOtime and the plan that includes basic cable and the expanded cable. In total it's about $100/mo.

When you set-up service you should CALL them, b/c the sales reps will give you a better deal than setting up online. Usually the first few receivers are free, when we set-up ours about a year ago with 1 dvr and 2 regular recievers all the equipment was free we just pay $4.99/mo for each rental. The first 3-6mo you can get free hbo/cinemax/shotime usually too. Our bills for the 1st 6mos were under $80/mo until the special deal expired and we upgraded to HD.

I will NEVER go back to cable again unless I have to. DTV has all the channels I want [NFL Network!] AND I can schedule stuff to record remotely online. It is <3

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I have Dish Network and love it. :yes:

The standard receiver controls two independent sets which is nice.

10. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Where I live there is no choice.....I have Dish but Direct is available. But after having satellite the cable choices just don't match up. The worst problem with satellite is when the snow piles on the dish and blocks the signal ususally the 90 mph winds knock most of it off.

Cable is available but the weather knocks it out on a regular basis and the channel choices suck and it costs more than its worth.

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    It probably depends on what you're looking for.

HD? Sports Channels? etc.