1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Call him Vincent YAC-son

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

On the Chargers’ second overtime drive Sunday in Tennessee, the Bolts broke the huddle with a run play called on 2<SUP>nd</SUP>-and-7. Quarterback Philip Rivers noticed the cornerback playing eight yards off of Vincent Jackson, so he quickly changed the play to a quick throw.
    “You don’t want to throw it out there unless you’re going to get some yards on it,” Rivers said. “You don’t want to take the ball out of LT’s hands, throw it out there and get two or three yards.”

But based particularly on what Vincent Jackson has done of late, Rivers knew that the play had a chance to go for a nice gain. The quarterback took the snap and immediately threw to Jackson, who caught the ball, slipped a defender and raced up the field for a 12-yard gain to the Tennessee 16 yard line.

“What (Jackson) did on that play was outstanding,” Rivers said.

On the next play, LaDainian Tomlinson raced to the end zone for the game winning score.

Rivers called Jackson’s overtime catch the second-best play the third-year receiver made Sunday. Later in the game, Jackson caught a pass on 3<SUP>rd</SUP>-and-4 and raced up the field for a 29-yard gain.

“I thought the biggest play he made was the third down conversion,” Rivers said. “He jumped over the guy. He’s continuing to make big plays.”

Jackson’s ability to pick up yards after the catch – or “yac” as receivers call it – have provided big plays for the Chargers in recent weeks. Three weeks ago against Baltimore, Jackson ran a 12-yard route and caught a pass on 2<SUP>nd</SUP>-and-9. He split two defenders and raced up the sideline for a 31-yard gain. The Chargers scored a field goal on the drive to make it a three-possession game late. It’s those kinds of plays that have been crucial for the Chargers.

“I’ve had some opportunities to get the ball in situations where I can make some plays after I catch it,” Jackson said. “You try to make the most out of what you can get. It’s that simple.”

Jackson’s big frame (6-5, 241) can make it difficult for smaller defensive backs to get him to the ground after he makes catches, but Head Coach Norv Turner believes it’s Jackson’s athletic ability that have helped him pick up such big chunks of yards after catches lately.

“I think he’s using his quickness,” Turner said. “He’s a big physical guy and at times wants to overpower people. I think on the plays, he’s used his quickness and made that first guy miss and then he’s in the secondary running.”

Yards after the catch are easier to come by when a receiver is able to create space between himself and the defender. Turner said that Jackson’s grasp of what he’s being asked to do has helped him get more open, which has resulted in the big runs.

“I think he has been better with the ball in his hands,” Turner said. “He’s gotten in opportunities where he’s had a chance to run. I think it’s comfort level, comfort with what we’re doing and getting the opportunities to do it.”

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I would think that Spanish speaking folks would call him that anyway.

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Umm.. isn't that what all receivers should do after making the catch? If given the opportunity, you need to run with the ball. That what Jerry Rice did for years. Catch a 5 yard pass, and run to daylight. Just because Jackson's done it a couple of times, doesn't justify writing an article about YAC and why/how he's doing it. Are they running out of stuff to write about?

Props to Jackson for stepping up as of late. But he's supposed to run with the ball not just catch and fall down.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Man, what's with the whining?

Jackson's YAC of late has had a significant impact on a couple of victories. That he's suddenly getting more YAC is a fact worthy of discussion. It's a sign of improvement.

5. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I will call him Vincent I drop to many balls son, Where is E.P. at?:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    :lol:

7. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    So much for all the props given to Norv on the podcast for that playcall. Looks like it should have gone to Rivers. :lol:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Spanish would llac for yac. Otherwise it's hac with a J.
    :lol:

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Here's a YAK for you all!

[​IMG]

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    And remember the TD pass to Gates in the Ravens game where Antonio flat out embarrassed Ray Lewis? Pretty sure Rivers audibled on that one too.

Vincent is now reaping the rewards of having C.Chambers opposite him. I think the dude will always be solid.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Yakitiyak, don't talk back.

Have you ever eaten Yak? Not so good. Extremely chewy meat.

If you are ever in Denver go to The Fort restaurant in Morrison. They have all kind of exotic meats there. Nice place. G-8 leaders ate there a few years ago.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Been to The Fort a few years ago - they serve some mighty tasty animals there!! :yes:

VJ is looking pretty good this year. still has work to do & needs to stay focused, but he's a load for most DB's. I think that he fits in well with our other receivers.

Must say, though - this nickname is pretty weak.

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    How could the 29-yarder have been "later in the game"? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Been taking your vitamins again, T/K?? :lol: :icon_tease:

15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Saw that also. Whole article is a little strange. Why an article about Vincent's YAC in the first place? This in general isn't his forte. At 3.0 YAC he is 12th in the AFC West amongst wide receivers.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Digging deep for a story line. :icon_shrug:

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think it's because he's had more YAC in the last few games than the rest of the season combined. It's a sign of improvement.

I'm sure if this was an article bashing VJ, nobody would have any problem with it. :icon_shrug:

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No problem w/VJ getting some love. Just thought the title was pretty weak. :yes:

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Not defending the quality of the article. But people just seem to get pizzed if Jackson gets any kind of praise.

20. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    If you look up YAC , even the ones you think are good at it dont have a very good average so yeah, thats what WR's are supposed to do.
    Howevera 2 to 4 YAC average is pretty typical and his for this year is 3.

Terell Owens for this year is 4.3, Randy Moss' is 3.

I think the best piece of that article is Rivers audibles. Seeing things and making the good call.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It's his third season, the time typically considered the maturation period for most WR's. VJ has been one guy whose upside I have always appreciated. Nice to see him coming into his own, especially in such a timely manner. People getting down on Craig Davis should remember this, because at this point he is ahead of the curve and his injury problems parallel the situation that VJ was in at one time. People who are PO'd about Davis should remember this. I remember people calling the 240 pound Jackson delicate and a sissy, especially when one of his injuries was a lacerated lung. So, back off you ingrates! He plays hard and is probably the premier blocking WR in the league.