1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Thomas doesn’t feel pressure

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 21, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com

Posted 47 minutes ago

Rookie DT Thomas is comfortable with expectations and ready to absorb information from coaches and teammates.

SAN DIEGO – “Hey, man. Your weekend furlough from the zoo is almost up!”
    That good-natured ribbing from a veteran teammate didn’t phase fifth-round pick Cam Thomas[​IMG].
    Standing in the shade, disassembling the tape around his hands after Friday’s practice, the 6-foot-4, 335-pound defensive tackle let out a gleeful chuckle.
    Propping one foot on a stool, his jersey didn’t feel heavier despite the No. 76 stretched across his chest.
    That’s the number vacated by Jamal Williams, who helped anchor the Chargers’ 3-4 defense for 12 seasons.
    “People are going to mention it, but I feel like there’s no pressure,” Thomas said. “If Big J Williams didn’t have No. 76, I’d just be Cam Thomas. (But) I give the man the utmost respect because he’s basically a legend out here.”
    The North Carolina product’s own path to the field on Sunday begins as a quest to absorb the plays and terminology of San Diego’s defense as fast as he can.
    One of the first things he’s learned from the veterans, in between mixing a few gallons of Gatorade and carrying a few helmets, is that his body won’t carry him forever, even if it is the stereotypical combination of size and strength that embodies a nose tackle.
    “It’s more than just a physical game,” Thomas said. “It’s also mental. As you get older, you lose some of the physical ability. I’m just trying to get on top of the mental part .”
    Not that he’s losing a step at 23 years old, but the sooner he’s operating subconsciously, the sooner he’ll operate at game speed.
    “I’m just here to do a job and help win games. That’s basically it. And my job is to clog up gaps and help make plays when it’s my time,” he said, cracking a smile at the thought.
    The Chargers moved up 13 spots in the fifth round to select Thomas, who as a senior at North Carolina helped the Tar Heels to the ACC’s best run defense.
    His ultimate goal is to one day leave the league on his own terms. That would mean a long and productive career.To become that kind of player, he believes he can’t let other players compete harder than he does.
    “There’s a bunch of grown men out here fighting, going for a job,” Thomas said. “It’s a job. Every day. Get paid, feed your family members. I know that the intensity level is going to be up there.”
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Apr 10, 2010
    And Cam shouldnt feel any pressure to step up right away. Thanks to the depth we have going into this year at NT.

Sucks tho I really wanted Jwall to be here for the tutelage of the next everydown NT of the future. Owell we still have the greatest WR coach in Chuck Joiner!! Love what he has done with our WR core too.
  3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Jul 22, 2007
    Cam Thomas is in a similar situation that Ryan Matthews is in. He just has to perform better than last year's talent at his position. The bar is set low.
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    besides feel the pressure when training camp actually starts, not in the middle of OTAs or OCAs or whatever alphabet soup name these things have