1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cam Thomas loses his damn job to Lissemore

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Dec 10, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    About damn time...

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2013/dec/10/cam-thomas-sean-lissemore-chargers-nose-tackle/

A contract year for Cam Thomas with the Chargers could be the last year.

That is the direction, anyway, the situation appears ahead.

The fourth-year veteran nose tackle has been replaced in San Diego's starting lineup, Sean Lissemore getting the nod Sunday versus the Giants. Lissemore joined the Chargers on a September trade with the Cowboys for a conditional draft pick, and he is under team control in 2014.

Thomas is not. This is the final year of the 2010 fifth-round pick's rookie deal.

He said Tuesday his approach to the rotation change is to "take it like a man."
    "Come ready to play," Thomas said. "Basically, no difference in my mindset. Everything is competition. You just keep going. Keep building. We're out here trying to do something."

Lissemore's promotion was decided in the aftermath of the team's loss to the Bengals one week earlier.

Cincinnati rushed for 164 yards, including 101 in the second half. To ice the game, it chewed 35 yards on eight straight runs, burning three timeouts with three first downs.

This is a rotation change, not a benching.

Thomas, who's made 10 of his 15 career NFL starts this year, played a season-low 17 defensive snaps Sunday against New York. But that was only three fewer than Lissemore.

When asked about Lissemore, defensive coordinator John Pagano said Tuesday he was "very excited" about the 26-year-old.

"His play has really gotten better once he got into the system and what what (defensive line coach) Don Johnson has done with him," Pagano said. "He is a guy that can play the nose or at the end for us. He's a hard worker and disciplined player that is very structured in his game. He needs to keep getting better like everyone, but I thought he played well last week."

In Dallas, Lissemore fell on the short end of an offseason scheme change.

The Cowboys went from a 3-4 to 4-3 alignment, the latter a lesser fit for his skill set. Rather than cut him after the preseason, they traded him to San Diego for a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2015.

In joining the Chargers' 3-4, Lissemore needed to regain some of the weight he lost and learn a new language. He did both.

A listed defensive end, he said it'd been a while since he last played so much nose tackle in one game, adding it "went well."

"It's a physical, physical position," Lissemore said. "I always pride myself on being a physical player, but pretty much any position on the defensive line is physical. ... Nose is like stepping into an intersection. You never know where you're going to get hit from. It's tough, but it's fun."

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Bye bye Cam. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. At least then activate geathers to get him some playing time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +237
    So babyzilla never mounted to j-wall. smh

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,500
    How can it be a benching when he's still playing? Cox got benched, Thomas just will get fewer reps than Lissemore.

"This is a rotation change, not a benching."

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Spoken like someone who's never played an organized sport in his life.:rolleyes:

To the players, not starting is the perverbeal bench.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I hate to say this but, I told everyone last during FA and going into the draft we're going to need a NT. I don't know what people thought Cam Thomas was going to be. We went from Aubrayo Franklin (who gobbled up blockers) to Cam Thomas and the drop off has been magnificent.

Lissemore at least has leverage in the ground game.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Couldn't agree more. What was said about Cam when he was in college has come home to roost. The guy is not a worker unlike Lissemore. As Ant said don't let the door hit you, we are moving forward without passengers like he, Cox, Meachem (gone), Mouton (not that he ever got much of a chance), English.

Geathers is nowhere near being the answer either, he should be dumped too imho. We need some magnificient beef to play nose in our 3-4.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    At least Geathers has the chance to develop, so I'm not ready to throw him out just yet. But if the Chargers want to really run a 3-4, they better find a real nose tackle and there's maybe three or so in the draft.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Geathers is very raw, I would never cut him. He's an UDFA rookie, give him some time to adapt.

Cox same thing, give him another year with a consistent or decent pass rush.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,771
    If I recall correctly, the knock on Thomas while in school was that he didn't give it his all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    I disagree and have played organized sports. Being on the inactive roster or not getting a sing snap is being benched. Not starting is either a Christmas Card with a statement of 'We wish to broaden your playing horizons' or an attempt to light a proverbial fire under his arse.

Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words to say 'benched' but I understand your implication.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    He had the 'lazy tag' on him. I remember someone, Buck Melanoma I believe, who watched him play in College and said that he would often get lazy on his blocks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,771
    He played for the Tar Hills here and that is what I remember also. How is Buck by the way?

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    The funny thing is the wrong guy got hurt, I'd give Jerideau more of a shot over Geathers. Geathers plays too tall a bit like Cam and is easily moved aside. Jerideau is shorter/stouter so in theory should be a better proposition physically.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I know when I played baseball and football if you played less than 50% of the time it was considered the "bench" or riding the pine.

Depending on Cam's rotation I figured it was the correct phrasing, and given his horrendous play this year I think it's more than appropriate.

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    He's not really raw. Just because a guy was a UDFA doesn't make him raw. The guy started for 2+ years playing the nose for a premier SEC team that operated a good amount out of a 3-4 formation. His drop in the draft was because of his limited upside (he offers very little in terms of pocket-collapsing or pass-rushing - the only time he did it of note in college was against guys where were undersized technicians he could use his superior size and length to drive back like Barrett Jones). He's a pure center-plug, 2-gapping run-stopper, but if this club wants to 1-gap and not 2-gap, he's really never going to be ideal starter material - and 2-gapping doesn't play to the strengths of Liuget and Reyes at all.

Is Geather still incredibly inconsistent in terms of his technique? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean he's raw. He's shown perfect technique at times, bot hat Georgia and in the preseason with us, but he fails to deliver it even 70% of the time. He fights his own height too often rather than using it to his advantage.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I'm really glad you specified "plays too tall" because that's really what it is and I know some would want to put it that he is too tall. The issue is less Geathers' pure height as much as it is his height relative to the fact that he'd just not a natural knee-bender (yes, in instances of a NT who is being asked to anchor this is just as relevant as it is for OL) which is preventing him from getting leverage and in fact using his height against him (aren't physics a cold-hearted biyatch?), Now that might be fixable by having the guy drop weight some, but it's no guarantee. But that's the major difference between him and someone of similar measurements and build like Daniel McCullers who has some similar issues with needing to work on his pad-level consistency, but he's also shown a greater ability when he does get leverage to effectively bull-rush, collapse the pocket, and be pass-rushing force. He also moves A LOT better laterally than Geathers ever has - and I'd wager he likely shows up at the combine in the high 350's, which would be down 25 pounds from his billed UT playing weight, which is likely the more ideal weight for him to play at as a pro.

18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    I liked this thread a whole lot better before the mods changed the title from Cam Thomas Benched.

How about we change it to: "Captain Willard sent on a dangerous mission into Cambodia to neutralize Cam Thomas?"

We could get Anteater to do the voiceover:
    I was going to the worst place in the world, and I didn't even know it yet. Weeks away and hundreds of miles up a river that snaked through the war like a main circuit cable plugged straight into Thomas. It was no accident that I got to be the caretaker of Colonel Cam Thomas's memory any more than being back in Saigon was an accident. There is no way to tell his story without telling my own. And if his story really is a confession, then so is mine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I was speaking more NFL terms. He's raw in the amount of playing time. He was used in a heavy rotation with Georgia's DL.

Like Dublin said, he does play too tall. At 6'5-6'6 in change. But, we saw against Philly (I believe), how he can use that size to block a FG. Does that warrant a roster spot? No, but I wouldn't give up on the guy 14 games in.

• Like Like x 1
  20. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I reckon Louis Nix will start to look increasingly attractive for the upcoming draft if Lissemore doesn't manage to aboslutely wow the coaching staff in these next few games.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Yes. Next 3 games is massive when it comes to the NT position. They're easing Lissemore into the role, but its clear with Lissemore in the game, Reyes and Liuget are getting and winning their 1 on 1's. If we can get some pressure from JJ, Ingram, Williams, Keiser, and also an underrated Walker, this team has a chance tomorrow night.

Either way, we're gonna need vet depth at the NT position.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    He was out here last month. Doing well... I will pass along your salutations...

23. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    This must have been hard for you. Thank you for doing the hard thing so often

24. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I watched a lot of Cam's play in college & his effort was very inconsistent. This move comes as no surprise to me. To be honest (and he is/was more of a 4-3 DT), Marvin Austin was a far better Dlineman, just not the type who would sacrifice to play at the pro level. He was always looking to get paid. Not even sure if he's on a squad now.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,771
    Good to hear, am glad all is well.

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I wish they had a word to describe.. never mind I'll be the bigger man. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  27. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    "they" have lots of words...give me an idea and I'll help you with one

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Austin was cut by the Cowboys after one game... and anyone who has watched a Cowgirls game this season has seen how bad their DT's situation is.

29. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    As I said - he was only looking to get paid. He made a little cash w/o putting in any effort.

30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    • Agree Agree x 1