1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Restrictions at Qualcomm

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AndyCr15, Nov 26, 2011.

1. AndyCr15

AndyCr15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I hope someone can help. Me and my brother are here all the way from London, we have tickets for tomorrows game.

I have a decent Canon DSLR with a 300mm lens, but I read on Qualcomm's list of prohibited items that any lens longer than 3 inches would not be permitted.

I've taken this lens in to Wembley and Candlestick last weekend, will I be refused entry from Qualcomm or is it not so stringently enforced?

If I take it to try my luck, do they have somewhere they keep it for me while I watch the game? (I have a regular lens too)

Many thanks for anyone that can help.

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Hey Andy;

I honestly don't know, but if you ask SDRaiderH8er he might be able to help you out. He is a big camera buff. If you get a chance, join us in parking lot M-4 under the trolley bridge for our tailgate party.

Pointy

3. AndyCr15

AndyCr15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I've messaged SDRaiderH8er to see if he can help. :)

I was advised to take the trolley to the stadium, but I guess it would be safer to drive. If they wont let me in, I can leave the lens in my car.

From what I can see, I can just drive up and pay $25. Does the car park normally fill up?

(Sorry for all the questions!)

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I believe there is a restriction. But cant say for sure. I know that they charge photographers a lot to be on the field. You might want to call the Chargers PR department and see if given the distance you traveled that they could allow it.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    It can fill up rather quickly, depending on the opponent. I've taken the trolley to every regular season game since 2004. Last time I had to park in the stadium was last season. It was a pre-season game vs. the Bears and the trolley wasn't running because of one of the lines snapped and stranded one of the trains. Normally I'd walk it in. But I had my (then 5 year old) son with me. So I drove in. Just as I drove in, my son looks up and says "hey daddy, there's the trolley".

Regarding your camera...
    I'm a season ticket holder since 2000. I own two seats, and sell 5-6 games a year to a friend of mine. He brings all sorts of camera equipment in with him. So far, he hasn't been turned away. His latest toy is a Nikon 7000. He brought that to the Raider game.

And should they turn you away, there isn't a place where you can safely leave it.

6. rbc

rbc BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I took my SLR, same length lens to the Fan Fest last year and they told me to put it away once I was spotted taking shots. They will notice a long lens like that. Only credentialed photographers are allowed to bring those types of lenses...BUT...I think you could probably sneak it if you are higher up in the stands..if you are Field Level or even Plaza...forget about it.

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I could hold the camera for you at our spot and you can pick it up after the game.

8. AndyCr15

AndyCr15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, just so you know, they didn't mention my camera so I was fine with my 4" lens :)

Here are a couple of my photos -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well done, thanks for posting and stick around.

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Charger Bronco 1.jpg Charger Bronco 2.jpg
    My experience is that they'll check your camera bag, but mostly looking for other
    prohibited items...staff generally know the "3 inch rule" (aka "the Simon Cowell Rule")
    but aren't really interested in measuring anything. As long as it's not a massive,
    professional-looking lens, they don't seem to much care.
    Today I took in one about 4 inches, and one nearly 5 inches, and no one blinked
    (I'm using micro 4/3, so a modest 45-200 lens gives me equiv. to a 400mm DSLR lens).

Here's a couple lo-res samples from today.

(p.s. this is more for future ref., obviously I'm too late to help YOU re. TODAY)