1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron confident his strengths fit Texans

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Jan 9, 2006.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3574001.html" target="_blank">Houston Chronicle</a>

By JOHN MCCLAIN

Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak remains the heavy favorite to become the new Texans coach as the search to replace Dom Capers enters its second week.

Kubiak was interviewed in Denver on Friday. Club executives said Kubiak was impressive.

NFL teams are forbidden to hire coaches until their seasons have been completed. That means the Texans couldn't hire Kubiak until the Broncos lose in the playoffs. They host New England on Saturday.

The interview process continued Sunday when San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron visited Reliant Stadium to meet with owner Bob McNair, limited partner Cal McNair, vice chairman Philip Burguieres, general manager Charley Casserly and consultant Dan Reeves.

Fresno State University coach Pat Hill is in town to interview today. Hill, who declined comment when he arrived in Houston, also will interview with the New Orleans Saints.

Cameron, who was an assistant at Washington when Casserly was the general manager, was excited about the interview before he returned to San Diego.

"We talked about the offense, the defense, the personnel - they've got a plan," said Cameron, who has directed one of the NFL's most prolific offenses the past two seasons. "You stand here and deal with men that have a plan (and), you know you have a chance."

Before he came to Houston, Cameron got advice from his boss, Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer.

"It's a thrill to get a call from any National Football League team," Cameron said. "But Marty said, 'Cam, when it comes to winning in the NFL, it comes down to three things: the owner, the owner and the owner. There's an owner that you need to go talk to,' and that's why I'm here."

Cameron was the head coach at the University of Indiana before returning to the NFL.

"The first thing that we have to do to be successful is to find quality people," he said. "I think that's my strength.

"I think Cam Cameron cannot take this organization where it wants to go by itself. We have to find the best men we can possibly find on our coaching staff, men that want to be great coaches in the NFL.

"We have to do a thorough evaluation of all the personnel, which I've pretty much done, and there are some positives to draw on. We need to get the type of players we need to win a championship, and that's where my strength and my focus and philosophy start - with the people."

Bob McNair also has interviewed Miami offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, Texans receivers coach Kippy Brown, Kansas City offensive coordinator Al Saunders and Buffalo defensive coordinator Jerry Gray.