1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron getting some notice...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mapcap55, Nov 2, 2006.

1. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Philadelphia Daily News

all the way at the bottom of the article:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Lol! This cracks me up. We've been one of the most innovative and balanced (and high-scoring) offenses in the NFL for going-on three years now.

If the Chargers were the Jets or the Skins or any other East-Coast team, Cam would've had ESPN analysts and SI writers swinging from his jock after '04...so many of them he would have thought it was a crabs outbreak. But he's a Charger so they're just now starting to smell the coffee...

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Zactly.

4. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I have been a tad critical of Cam because I think he could be even more inventive with all his weapons out there. But he does do a better than average job. I would still like to see us use Turner and LT in some unique ways. I want the chargers offense to be running plays and things that make the rest of the league look like college ball.

I think we can do it. The biggest opportunity is with our running backs, since we have two good ones with different styles of running. And since LT can catch, there is a lot of innovative plays Cam could come up with. Like the deeper pass to LT on sunday. Need to see that more with Turner in the backfield to keep the threat of the run. Hit LT on that pass early in the game and then do it again only hand off to Turner on a draw play. That should pick up some yards.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Man, we are top 3 in the league. What more do you want? We have been using even more formations and personnel packages this season, really keeping defenses on their toes. I for one think Cam is doing a phenomenal job. He deserves alot of the credit for how many points this offense puts up.

We have also done a very good job of scoring TDs on our first drive of the game. TN, SF, Baltimore, St. Louis--we've scored a TD on our first drive in more than half of our games. Alot of that has to do with the coordinator scripting plays he thinks will work against the opposing defense.

6. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I think Cam will make an excellent head coach.

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Greg Cosell from NFL Films was on Fox Sports Radio this afternoon raving about the Bolts. He lauded our offense for its creativity, use of formations, personnel and shifts, saying Cam really gets the most out of a talented group.

He also said the Bolts were the best team in the AFC. He picked us over the Colts because he said we were physically tougher than the Colts on both sides of the ball.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I guess all the pundits that said we'd have to dumb down our offense for a "rookie" QB were wrong ...

• Like Like x 1
  9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    yep, well said.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    OK admit it you lying sacks of ****....

Most here HATED CAM and called him out as a POS early on.

If you cats remember my "flashes of brilliance" regarding Cam speeches I ranted on way back in the day and then got **** on.

Well lick my left nut now. :icon_banana: :yes: :bolt:

11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Yeah, whatever Trumpy. :lol:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The first guilty one has spoken up. :yes:

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    You know what we havent talked about in a LOOONG time????
    Where would we be right now if we had Daren Sproles? He'd be returning punts and kicks for an avg 25yds at least.
    And I can only imagine him and LT lining up against a LB's on 3rd down plays.

We could be unstoppable if Sproles wernt injured, the guy was a weapon.

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, before the preseason, there were a bunch of whiners on the UT and Chargers.COM forums complaining that Sproles hadn't busted a return for a TD yet and maybe we should have someone else returning kicks and punts.... :glare:

They got their wish. :unsure:

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm not about to start humping Cam's leg based on six games in this season. There have been a multitude of occasions in the last couple years when offensive play calling has cost us ball games. Has everyone forgoten to fit that was thrown after the loss to the Ravens? How about the infamous three rushes up the middle in playoff overtime two years ago? Cam didn't look like such a genius then, did he?

No disrespect intended, but how hard can it be to look like a good OC when you've got the best running back, the best tight end, a top tier QB and a capable line?

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    That's a good point.

The Norv Turner principle...

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Is it forgetfullness ?

Hmmm....

Lets rewind the clock a few years.

Brees was a rookie with Flutie towering over him (top tier)?

Gates was a rookie.

Our O-Line was a shambles and LT was bring fed the short pass up the asss to save our lives.

Oh and Cam could not call any deep plays because the moled one did not have the juice yet Cam managed to show why he deserved to be an O.C. when most wanted his head.

18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The offense has been in the top 5 in the league for three straight seasons now. Alot of that has to do with the offensive coordinator.

Guys who break down game film and make a living analyzing players and schemes, such as Greg Cosell from NFL Films, have a very high opinion of Cam's offense, of his ability to exploit favorable matchups. Cam deserves alot of credit for this team's success.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Today it is easy to say "hmmm yeah Cam has all of these polished weapons at his disposal".

Our 12-4 year got the monkey off Cam's back so he has two seasons where fans have not run it up Cam's wazoo.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    You may want to go back and revisit our seasons prior to being 12-4 in 2004 with Cam and the point gets dulled real quickly.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Cam was trying new tweaks when he got here.

Brees first and second years were classic examples of Cam attempting to do some creative stuff with the O but just did not have all the chess pieces. Instead, Cam was called an idiot college coach who did not belong in the NFL. His plays were predictable and boring. Run, run, pass.....etc etc etc.

Now I start to read where posters loved him all along and I say "yeah right".

The same with the Rivers doubters who could just not let it go yet now are saying "I thought Rivers was the **** from Day One" :icon_shrug:

22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    The end of my quote there was with regards to this season. For the record Flutie towers over no one. I guess my beef here is that I can't give Cam any more credit than I give Marty, which isn't a whole hell of a lot. The major criticism of Marty is his lack of balls and ability to finish the game (ie the Ravens this year and the Jets in the playoffs). In my mind Cam shares just as much responsibility for these tendancies as Marty does. But I don't see anybody talking about how great Marty is and how much credit he deserves for our 12-4 season. What about last year? We should have been BETTER than we were the year we went to the playoffs. So we scapegoat the schedule instead of putting it on the organization... weak. This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately sport and league and I don't care what we did two years ago. What kinda job did Cam do last year? How's he doing so far this year? He may be good, but he is no better an OC than Marty is a HC.

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I really don't mean to come across as negative, or sound like I'm trying to bash Cam. But the dood has pissed me off at least as many times as he's made me proud of him. I definatly don't know near as much as people who analyze film for a living, and I don't doubt that they have a high regard for Cam's ability to create good matchups. But (as stated in my previous post) I have to give him some of the blame for our lack of aggresiveness when we have a lead (or at least inconsistancy in this department). From one week to the next we might go for the balls in the fourth quarter, or we might not throw a pass. I can appreciate that you have to change your game plan from week to week and that a predicatable offense is a bad offense. BUT GOD DAMN DID THAT RAVENS LOSS PISS ME OFF AND I BLAME CAM AS MUCH AS MARTY.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Even though Flutie was shorter he still towered over Brees metaphorically.

The reason ?

Brees was annointed the starter and did not beat out Flutie and basically went toe to toe with Brees.

Sweeping generalizations about the fan base by my reads are being made in regard to Cam. There were some very vocal advocates to get rid of Cam early on .....

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Raven LOSS I place squarely and solely on the PLAYERS.

You know - false starts, missed Merriman tackle, missed FG's.

The plan was working statistically and on the field and the players lost it in a loud hostile environment.

Few consider that throwing the ball too many times could have resulted in more uglyness as well.

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    You know what, you're probably right Trumpie. But there was such an anti-Marty uproar on the board here that I don't think your opinion is the consensus. I just think it's BS that people (just my perception) blame Marty when we play conservative and credit Cam when we don't.

27. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    nah... i believe the players on the field deserve the credit on offense...as much as i wanna say that cam deserves notice, i really dont think he does. how hard is it to be innovative when u have players like LT and Gates? give credit where it is due. i'll probably get some criticism for this, but im prepared to respond. oh yea, lofton is still my boy, dont worry.

28. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Sorry I just started reading the threads.
    This is the right opinion. Cameron uses the variety weapons of our
    offence very well. He's doing this most of the last 3 years.
    Cameronball will bring us deep into the payoffs.

29. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I respect this kind of seeing the truth as well.
    What do we know about the relationship between HC and OC ?
    Who pushes the buttons ?
    We have such a fine team know, that even a middle of the road-coach would get a winning percentage.

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    My opinion is rarely a consensus on any forum and it is not intended to be that way. I post what I feel and believe and some take strong exception to that fact. I agree with your post that the teeter totter of fan rationale is exactly as you described. :yes: