1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron speaks up: He's making the calls

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LaDeezie21, Nov 10, 2006.

1. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Cameron speaks up: He's making the calls
    By Jay Posner
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    November 10, 2006

Cam Cameron says he is "never overruled" by Marty Schottenheimer on play calls.
    Cam Cameron wanted to make one thing perfectly clear: As the Chargers' offensive coordinator, he calls every play.

He calls the plays that work, that helped the Chargers score 40 points against Tennessee or 48 points against San Francisco. And he calls the plays that don't work – including every play in that oh-so-aggravating 16-13 loss six weeks ago in Baltimore.

Not surprisingly, that game, the one that made Martyball a four-letter word again throughout Chargerville, was a major topic yesterday on the one day during the 2006 season that Cameron was (and will be) allowed to speak with reporters.

For one thing, Cameron said he is never overruled on play calls.

“Just to put that to rest,” he said, “I think Dean Spanos, A.J. Smith and Marty Schottenheimer have not called any plays this year.”

So Martyball is really Camball?

“I'm going to put it this way: When things are not going the way everyone wants them to go, it's Camball,” he said.

At the same time, Cameron also said “it would look selfish on my part to think that it's me. It's not me. It's us, offensively, win, lose or draw. But I have no problem. I know I'm accountable.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061110-9999-1s10chargjp.html

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Scott Kaplin and Billy Ray Smith talked about this article on 1090 this morning.

3. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Camball Trumps Martyball

After the Ravens game, when everybody was calling for Marty's head, I said that the poor playcalling was to be laid at the feet of Cameron. I got flamed for it, of course, because everybody hates Marty, but here it is; straight from the horse's mouth:

I think that Cam does a great job mixing things up, but sometimes he out thinks himself or gets hung up on something and games like the ravens game happen. I am not saying that he stinks or anything, but to blame Marty for everything is just plain stupid.

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Camball Trumps Martyball

I still blame Marty! :icon_tease:

5. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Camball Trumps Martyball

So I guess by my logic if Blaming Marty is stupid and you still blame Marty then...:icon_eek: :icon_tease: :icon_tease: :lol:

6. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    what did those two knuckle heads say? I miss listening to them in the mornings.

It's just nice to put that issue to rest. It's frustrating to see all of the 'fire marty' threads pop up when we lose. I want to win every game just like the next Charger fan but the reality is that the bolts will lose some games .

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Camball Trumps Martyball

That was logic you were using huh? :lol:

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    They just mentioned the article and that all the media wanted to talk to Cam about the losses, but let Wade off the hook, even though the defense contributd to those losses.

True, but the two games we lost were both very winable. That's why it's frustrating, to me at least.

9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Camball Trumps Martyball

Did madcap just call the Supreme Moderator Being "Stupid"? :no:

• Like Like x 1
  10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    It's pretty cool that Cam is trying to step up and take responsibility for the things we've all been most critical of. I think it reflects the culture of accountability that is so important if you really want to be sucessful.

And what's the deal with Marty allowing a coordinator to talk to the media? It seems like a remarkable coincidence that the first public interview (in recent memory) with a coordinator was all about how Marty isn't responsible for the play calling... Would Marty have allowed the interview for any other topic?

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Camball Trumps Martyball

:no:

• Like Like x 1
  12. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    So you mean I owe Marty an apology ? :icon_eek:

13. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Oh I agree they are very frustrating and we really should be 8-0 but we are still tied for first so I'm not too upset.....yet.

I've been happy with the way the games have been called after the Baltimore game. We are no longer afraid to pass and that should help us out in the long run. I'm glad to know that we can deal with 8 man fronts from now on. As long as the bolts don't start the game off the way they did in KC we should be fine.

I guess what worries me when all that fire marty talk comes around is that the team has been used to this system for a while now. I'd hate to waste a season on adjusting to a new coach/scheme.

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I too think the game calling has been much better since the Ravens game. The KC game we got behind becuase of turnovers which is not typical of this team. I like that they're opening up the play book and letting Rivers throw the ball, but we just need to mix it up with the run and pass. Besides the first drive of the Clevland game we didn't run the ball enough in the first half. Towards the end of the third period we really got LT involved and all of a sudden LT has 3 TDs.

Mix it up and take what the defense gives us. They put 8 in the box to stop LT, let Rivers kill them. They play the pass, let LT beat them. :tup:

15. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    In a way, I am glad they melted down in Baltimore. As sick as it made me at the time, I think it showed the err of their ways, and finally convinced them to let Rivers and the rest of the offense play. Clearly, the correct choice.

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Cam mentions something that I was also trying to point out to some fans and that was the fact the RUN was working in Baltimore. It was not so much they did not want to pass more so than we were ripping up the vaunted Raven defense on the ground.

You go with what is working and Cam did exactly that against the Ravens.

All of the FIRE MARTY chants are from fans who are frustrated or morons.

If anyone is going to use the "can't win the big one chant" the same crap was said about Cowher, Dungy blah blah blah .....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Even though Cam is saying he is responsible for ALL the play calling, fans will still think Marty is micro-managing every call.

WAKE the FUC up people !!!!

The ONLY clip I have heard Marty yelling at Cam was to scream "make them bleed".

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Cam will get some more HC looks this offseason. It was nice to hear his version of things as well as Wade's. IMO this sunday is the type of game I'd like to see this team win as well as in Denver next week. We'll have all of our horses back in a few weeks and look the fuc out after that. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  19. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Camball Trumps Martyball

:icon_eek: Yikes, I better be careful...

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://blog.chargers.com/

Here is the linky to the audio of Cam and Wade. This is rare to hear our coaches speak so listen up !!

21. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I like to look @ the Ravens game like this,

We lost by 3 right?

we had 1 missed FG
    and a botched FG

thats 6 points we gave up
    and there were some good returns

if anything, I blame special teams for that game

because add 6 to our score and we won

• Like Like x 1
  22. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I feel the same way.

23. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Here's what Cam had meant by “We ran the ball better than we ever dreamed we'd run against them, because no one had run the ball on them,”

(Counting only the RB/FB carries versus Baltimore)

Week 1 - Ravens vs. Tampa Bay - 12 rushes, 23 yards, 1.92 yards per rush allowed

Week 2 - Ravens vs. Oakland - 20 rushes, 36 yards, 1.8 yards per rush allowed

Week 3 - Ravens vs. Cleveland - 17 rushes, 32 yards, 1.88 yards per rush allowed

Week 4 - Ravens vs. San Diego - 39 rushes, 157 yards, 4.02 yards per rush allowed

So, the 3 weeks previous, the Ravens hadn't allowed as much as 40 yards rushing against them from any teams' RB/FB, and held teams to less than 2 yards per carry.

However, San Diego nearly quadrupled that 40 running yards, and doubled the yards per carry versus the Ravens. Against the league's top run defense.

• Like Like x 2
  24. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I don't buy that. I'm sure Cam is in charge of the play calling and it's mostly his job, but you can't tell me that marty just sits back and lets his co-ordinators do whatever they want and not have input....

That baltimore fiasco was marty. Marty tells cam how to play it and then cam calls the plays. So, in one way, cam was telling the truth, but there's no way in hell that cam is all on his own.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I think you are confusing two aspects here.

First, the coaches all agree on a basic game plan to attack a defense/offense.

Second, the coordinators call the game (not Marty).

Marty may decide to "go for it on 4th down", challenging plays during the game or call a timeout.

I think Cam is telling everyone Marty does not micro manage the play calling.

Cam outright called it CAMBALL when things do not go right because he is responsible for the ultimate call but not so arrogant as to think it is all on him in a team sport.

When Marty was asked a while back if he ever directly called a play he could not recall that he ever did intercede in that manner. I am paraphrasing here.

The head coach is too busy chewing the refs and the players out all game long.

26. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    The run WASN'T working in Baltimore you retro-1960 ball-control beef-myopia never-met-a-charger-o-lineman-he-didn't-think-sucked Marty-homer. :lol: Did you miss the part where he said he felt stupid after the game? Did you forget the part where we scored 0 second-half points? Did you forget the part where we LOST?

I can't believe you're one of the three people in the universe who still think the playcalling didn't suck in Baltimore. :icon_tease:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Why do you dismiss the fact Cam said we were running the ball better than anyone imagined and we would protect the QB given what the Ravens did in the prior games ?

He was saying hind sight is always 20-20 so shoot me the next time or whatever but he was disappointed with the second half of the game. WHY?

Because the plays he called knew would work.

They were working.

I can not believe you to be so obtuse to overlook this fact as it should have nailed you square between the eyes.

**** - Cam was pretty freaking blunt about it for starters.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Just look at these stats and Cam knew this info and the RUN was not working?

Someone was either too drunk or missed the game all together.....

29. Edgar

Edgar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I think there is a set game plan going in - obviously. But I believe Cam has full power to call every play and adjust to the defense. I did not get a feeling the guy was "covering" for Marty. The first drive we threw the ball all over the place. Rivers throws an INT - LT was moving the ball a bit.....so Cam went in to a shell.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Camball Trumps Martyball

I still blame Marty too.

All week, the coaches discuss strategies for different points in the game and different plays for every situation. The game plan is pretty set going into a game.

Marty could have told Cam to open it up against Baltimore at any time, but did not.

The buck stops at the feet of the head coach.

• Like Like x 3