1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Camp reports? Oben practicing 8/9?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LittleTrain, Aug 10, 2006.

1. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Anyone here still going and see Oben working out? Seems like a good sign maybe?

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Right on......let the brothers know what you see with OBEN.

U da man !!! :tup:

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +854
    That's big news. Hopefully Oben will be able to go on opening day. :tup:

4. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Mad Dog (a long-time, well-respected poster on another board) said he wasn't in pads and did have a limp yesterday.

I'm hoping someone comes through with some more information...kinda surprised that original post didn't draw more response on the chargers.com board.

5. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I guess he didn't see him working out like the other guys did, but he saw a limp they didn't. I'm encouraged if he's working out and can live with an athlete limping (some of them play that up). It's funny this Oben thing is much more of a question mark to me than even Rivers' performance. I expect Rivers to do well, but Oben is a total mystery. At least we have McNeill there to fall back on if needed.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I would like to see McNeil start at left tackle and move OBEN to the less demanding right tackle spot. He has played that spot before and is way way better than Shane Olivea. Shane moves to right or left guard.......bada bing.

7. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    No way you are moving Olivea around at this point & the team seems happy with both the OGs. That's message board legend stuff there. Maybe if Olivea or Dielman regress this year something happens or Goff shows signs of aging, but right now there is no way they start to scramble the OL that is projected to bring all five starters back from last year as starters this year. If they were going to switch it up it would have happened before minicamp, not now right before the PS games start.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I still don't think Jordan is as bad as his rep.

In '07, a HOMEGROWN offensive line could look like this:

McNeill - Dielman - Hardwick - Olivea - Jordan

Athletic and powerful.

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Goff becomes Dielman or Olivea's backup?

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,890

Substitute Jordan for Justin Blaylock in 07 and you've got it locked in baby

Btw I really think Olivea will be gone next year and Scott Mrzucowski will take place

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Shane is not the answer at right guard.

Dielman ran out of gas and is suspect.

Goff is slow of foot.

Leander Jordan is another Fonoti (good run blocking but sucks at pass blocking) and is good for depth only but not as a starter.

McNeil - Olivea - Hardwick - Goff - Oben

This is the line up I would like to see on opening day.

12. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Both. I'm not impressed with Goff's athleticism. He can't get to the outside, and even when he does he rarely finishes.

13. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Oben is a fine pass blocker, but is the WORST run blocking OT on the roster. No way should he be the RT now, or in the future.

Keep him through '07 to teach and back up McNeill at LT.

Similarly, keep Goff for quality depth through '07.

When I went back and watched tapes this offseason, it was clear that the best OL from last year at getting to the 2nd level and finishing blocks were (in order):

1. Hardwick
    2. Olivea
    3. Dielman

Dielman is just a couple years into learning the OG position. He is improving, and IMO will become a quality starter for the future.

Olivea is best suited to guard, no matter what underoath or some of the other guys say.

Jordan primarily had breakdowns late in the 4th quarter last year. That is a conditioning problem. He also is the Chargers best run blocking OT from last year, and is the most athletic OT from the returning OT's. I do feel that he can and will improve enough to man the starting RT job in the future.

If not, like Ant said, Mcuzkowski (sp?) has a chance at that spot. I also like Clary in the Shrine game, but he's a year or two away from competing for a starting tackle position.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The worst run blocker we have is Dielman followed by Olivea then Goff and finally Oben. Oben is our best pass blocker and run blocker hands down. This is why if he has lost a step, put him at the less demanding right tackle spot. Oben has played it and did not falter and would be a marked improvement over Olivea.

Jordans problem is not conditioning. It is lack of ability at the next level for pass protection. He does not come equipped with the tools to move quickly to stop the best defensive ends in the league.