1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Camp wrap: Best breakouts, rookies, redeemers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    By Clark Judge
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer
    Sep. 6, 2010
    Camp wrap: Best breakouts, rookies, redeemers - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

You can see the full article via the link above. Posted here are the Charger selections:

Five guys ready to break out
    Malcom Floyd, WR, San Diego: With Vincent Jackson on the shelf, the Bolts look to Door No. 2 for their next best receiver, and you're looking at him. Floyd is big (he's 6-5), with soft hands and a knack for the ball. Once upon a time he was overshadowed by Jackson, but not anymore. "As far as a big guy who goes up and gets the ball," said teammate Quentin Jammer, "I don't think there's anybody other than Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald who can do what he does, which is adjust to the football." I don't know, but I might throw Calvin Johnson in that roll call, too, but you get the idea. Floyd is better than most people know. "I know I have ability," he said. "I've been getting opportunities year after year, and this is just another year where I can get more playing time and more looks my way."

Five rookies to like -- a lot
    Ryan Mathews, RB, San Diego: He plays for Norv Turner, and if you know Norv you know he loves to run the ball. So Mathews should have a ton of carries, and, presumably, he does more with them this season than LaDainian Tomlinson did last. "I know I'm coming in after L.T. and everything," said Mathews, "but it's a new year and a little bit of a different team and the running game is going to be fine. I have an excellent, excellent line in front of me, and they're going to help me carry the load."

Five guys to pull for
    Brandyn Dombrowski, T, San Diego: Why? Because he steps in for Marcus McNeill, who joins Vincent Jackson in Career Counseling. McNeill didn't sign the Chargers' one-year tender, thinking it was unfair. So the Bolts moved on, while McNeill refused to budge. Good for him. Because the Chargers won't either, and if McNeill thinks this is a game of cat-and-mouse he doesn't know GM A.J. Smith. Without McNeill, the Bolts go with Dombrowski, and while he's a natural left guard he proved last season he could play right guard or right tackle effectively. So why not left tackle? Dombrowski is a solid run blocker -- maybe better than McNeill -– but must polish his pass-protecting skills. Give him time. He will.

Coach in the best spot
    San Diego's Norv Turner: He has the best team in the AFC West. He has one of the best schedules on earth, with the AFC West and NFC West featured. And he lives in San Diego. What more can you ask for? Well, since you asked, this: A Super Bowl. Turner is 18-0 in December with the Bolts, so he knows how to win meaningful games, but he lost three of his last four playoff starts. He has the team to go the distance. So go.

Five guys with something to prove
    Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego: Like teammates Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson, he's an unhappy restricted free agent. Unlike McNeill and Jackson he signed his tender and reported to camp. Now we find out what he has to offer because the guy who produced 39.5 sacks in his first 42 games has four the last two seasons. Merriman swears he's ready for a break-out season, but he missed the last two games of preseason with an Achilles injury that may sideline him for the season opener and that has critics wondering if it's the beginning of another setback.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We got an incredible amount of love in this article, rather surprising

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Gee Norv really is in the best position of any coach around at the mo...if he can't win the Superbowl this year...he should be shown the door! (and AJ too)

However if we fail in playoffs again , I can't help but get the feeling that the absence of VJ and Mcneil will be used to justify it all.

DONT GO THERE AJ!! It was your call remember

4. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I'd like to add a sixth guy to break out in 2010....Legedu Naanee!!!!

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    From the article (I implore you all to read the whole thing):

Good, because that would be the worst investment ever.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Nice reminder of why the more I think about, the more I think we are going Arrowhead Stadium look like a food processor, turning all that red and white into pink goo.