1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone admit

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by P88F, Oct 1, 2007.

1. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Just curious, Can anyone actually have enough balls and admit they were excited about the Norv hiring? I know I was! What a fool I was

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Like I have always said, Norv was 6th on my list of 5 to potentially coach this team.....:no:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Nope.

I think all of us wanted someone else. I was hoping for Rex Ryan or Mike Singletary.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I would have taken ANYBODY over Norv!!!

I didn't want Marty gone!!
    Those of you that did need to shut up and enjoy this season!!

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I wanted Rex Ryan. Norv was not even a consideration for me.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Norv was WAY down the list for me

I will admit I bought AJ Smith's BS line about continuity and giving Norv the talent to work with. I bought that **** hook line and sinker.

edit: you want proof for me, see episode 77

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm not so sure about Rex.
    Just because his father was a horrible HC.
    But I'll take him over Norv!!

8. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I was another who wanted Rex Ryan. He wasn't hired because he would not be a yes man to AJ. Establishing professional relationships works way more succesfully than hiring your friends.

This is why the Chargers have not gotten respect over the years. The decisions of the front office over the years have justified it.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I did want Marty gone, just because of the distraction it would have created come playoff time, but I did not want Norv (as I put it back then, no retread coaches) I wanted someone new like Ryan or Rivera

10. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I was so shocked to hear that they hired Norv. Still shaking my head about it... :icon_shrug:

11. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I can, and go a step farther, still think norv is a great guy and could right this ship with a decent staff.

Like olberman said on sunday Norv like our team was thrown under the bus by the worst people in the NFL spanos and smith, they hired him late, and got him crap coordinators. I mean really take Marty, Cam, and Wade... all three great in thier own respects, and follow up with Norv, Ted, and Clarence... WTF this staff is a joke, and I feel for the players they try and want to win so does Norv, but he is the scapegoat for what in fact is half a staff, everyone we had worth a damn is gone, but lets g'head and keep chanting marty, but throw in a chant for wade and cam, whateva it is what it is only game that matters is next week's so lets make denver fans feel the disgust we did, by getting beat by a "lesser" team, we are already expected to fail, might as well have fun watching this season ain't over....

BOLTS UP! :bolt:

:deadhorse: Donks down!

12. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Honestly, I was a bit surprised at first, but I did buy into the rational of him being the guy who put in the offensive system and the easy transition.... blah, blah, blah.....

I grew to be excited about the possibilities. I admit it. I bought it.

As Crack Head Bob would say, "I am torry."

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I was never particularly excited about Norv.
    But I didnt think he'd run us into the ground.

14. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    It was a last minute move with a bunch of feces thrown around by AJ making it sound like he would have been his #1 pick all along. Warning signs were going off right and left, but like many of you, I chose to ignore/support the hire.

:censored:

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Let me offer a couple examples of how excited I was to hear about this hiring...

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6428 - bump me

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showpost.php?p=186529&postcount=9

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showpost.php?p=186875&postcount=10

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showpost.php?p=186481&postcount=87

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showpost.php?p=186488&postcount=93

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showpost.php?p=184679&postcount=20

So yeah... I can admit that even I didn't expect him to be THIS bad.

16. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I thought AJ knew what he was doing. I figured he'd researched all the guys he interviewed... I didn't know that Spanos told him to hire someone off an old team Rolodex and since Kevin Gilbride & Mike Riley were already working somewhere... we got Norv.

Seriously, I admit that I followed the reasoning AJ sold us and bought into the Charger hype. Knows the system... installed the system... developes young quarterbacks... innovative play caller... Just who the heck was Smith talking about?

[​IMG]

...okay Reverend AJ Smith, now you can pass me my Koolaid.

17. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I convinced myself it would work because i had to. When the announcement was made I was very upset.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    My sentiments exactly.............

No matter what though, getting rid of Schottenheimer had to happen. The timing of it was disastrous. I would even have accepted Wade Philips. While his prevent D gave me cardiac arrest, at least he had halftime adjustments that worked. I don't think Ted knows the meaning of the word adjustment.

19. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Was very disappointed the day the announcement was made and was in sort of a state of shock.

But I came around to the idea of this beaten dog being able to make something of this team and felt the players were mature enough to police themselves. We know that is not the case now.

AJ won't change his mind and he will never give in to you ******s so you can forget a coaching change this year. So settle in for a painful season and lots and lots of whining from fans and players.

Still a 5% chance this can come up roses but I don't think so.

20. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
  21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I didn't.
    I hated it from the start but I drank the Kool-Aid anyway in hope that it would work. :icon_evil:

22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    OMG I love it! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    So far I have suggested blackberry and cherry sauce for my crow.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

My sentiments EXACTLY. I forced myself to accept it, and I trusted that AJ made the right decision. I was wrong:no:

25. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Me too. I just went against all of my instincts and put my trust in AJ.

I thought this might work if Norv could work his magic with Rivers, we'd be an overpowering offensive machine. We'd grab control of games early, minimize the times when Norv would have to make crucial in-game coaching decisions. Most importantly, we had to get off to a fast start in September and October. Because from Day One, I had no confidence in Norv's ability to rally this team out of a hole.

But like most of you, I wasn't prepared for it to be THIS bad.

26. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Good job in_a_days. I like a poster who backs up his facts with proof. You were spot on too about Norv. Didn't care for the hiring of him either, since he was a PROVEN loser as a HC. Hell, Singletary would have been a better hire at this point!!

27. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33

I really believe that AJ thought it would work out. His reputation is on the line, too. I'm sure he doesn't enjoy being labeled "The worst person in football" by Keith Oberman.

Who could have known the team would collapse like this? That said, two of our losses could easily have been wins if players and coaches alike had been a bit smarter.

I do believe that it starts with the coaching, though.

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I knew Norv was bad but not THIS bad!!!!:icon_evil:

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The last time that I felt this upset about a coach's hiring was when Marty was hired. But I, too, tried to drink the kool-aid & believe it would work out.

No more kool-aid for me, thanks. :no:

30. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Completely agree.

Everybody wants to win, and I fully believe that A.J. and Dean thought this was the best approach. I don't think for even a second, though others like to say it, that A.J. would sabotage the whole thing for the sake of his ego. A.J. and Marty had philosophical differences, and evidently didn't work well together. Dean fired Marty because Marty wanted out and set it up so that he would get fired. Dean and A.J. thought continuity was important, so they went with these hires. It isn't working out so well, but I think that they honestly did what they thought would be best. I know people are frustrated, but some of the things people post just astonish me.