1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can he have another 2004 type offseason

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Nov 14, 2011.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I know the season isn’t over, but IMO, whether we win the division or not, we stand no chance of doing anything in the playoffs.

So I was thinking back to 2004 and wondering if we could have another offseason like that one.

Trades
    Roman Oben- LT
    Keenan McCardell (Traded for on Oct 19, so not the offseason)

Free Agent Singings
    Steve Foley- OLB
    Randall Godfrey- ILB
    Mike Goff- RG

Draft
    Rivers- QB
    Olshansky- DE
    Keading- K
    Hardwick- C
    Shaun Phillips- OLB
    Michael Turner- RB
    Shane Olivea- RT

Undrafted Free Agents
    Malcom Floyd- WR
    Wes Welker- WR

That was the offseason that completely turned around this organization, and is the type we need this year if we want to re-open that window that has slowly closed on us

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Doubtful. What free agents are left nowadays? Also if Norv's coaching team it doesn't matter who we get.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You don't think there are Goff, Foley, and Godfrey type free agents? Those type guys are available every year. We just refuse to touch them and instead ask guys like Vasquez to start as a rookie, and stick with scrubs like Clary at RT when he should be the backup

• Like Like x 1
  4. sargecharge

sargecharge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't even realize how STACKED of a draft class we had in 2004. Good call!

5. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    When you think about it, what an incredible off-season's work that was. Although it would be wonderful to have another off-season like that, i don't think summers like that happen too often, if ever again.

We just need some steps in the right direction. I'd be happy with retaining core personnel, adding some solid vets, a decent draft class and new HC.

6. LakeShow

LakeShow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    A good draft class, some vets, and retaining players like VJ is key to taking steps in the right direction. We don't need to blow up the team, because most of our games have been decided by a touchdown or less, but if we had more depth we could have easily won most of our lost games this year.

7. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    It would be great if AJ figured out WHY that was a great draft.
    2001 they TRADED DOWN for LT (gave up Vick)
    2004 they TRADED DOWN for Rivers (I know it was a trade be we got a lot for him)

And when we traded UP we get a SP player in Hester:cry: and a hurt Mathews.

I'd like to see AJ get more aggressive with the quality of players but than again he thought English, Bird, Busted Davis, were quality players. Lets not forget Kiel over Palumalu.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If we could just have one that is half that good, it would be better than any offseason since

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Thanks to garbage time TD's. Sorry but the GB and Oakland games were no where near as close as the score indicated. By the way, most of our wins against garbage teams were by a TD or less also

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That was Butler

11. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    John Already passed but who knows what they really had on the player list.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    True. I have no problem putting the blame on AJ. Anything to get him out of Chargers park

• Like Like x 1