1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can Merriman make it through the entire season?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Moving on.... Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +1,444
    Don Banks from SI predicts that he won't.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...04/crystal.ball/index.html?eref=si_topstories

2. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    People stop with this ****! Merriman is fine! He is just doing this for Publicity! Hes fine!

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,987
    SM will not make it though the season. His heart is in the right place but his mind is cheating him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He'll finish the season but fail in the playoffs.

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Agree. He'll have a setback, realize he can't play, undergo reconstructive surgery, and get ready for '09...

• Like Like x 1
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,987
    I've been down that road, it never gets better.

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    It may never get 100% better, but it can get better enough for him to play again and be a force.

There aren't any guarantees, but it's not as if other athletes haven't recovered from LCL / PCL reconstruction.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Alot depends on the quality of the brace he'll wear. And if 300+ pounders stay away from those knees. Any guys knees can get whacked at any time with a bad hit. HOpefully a very good brace will help him to be able to keep his knee working this year.

9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Here's what I'm thinking.

The type of hit it would take to disable Merriman's knee would take it out, pre-existing injury or no. So I don't see much difference in injury risk, really. The biggest issue in my mind is the dropoff in play quality.

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,817
    the big risk is that b/c he has a "bum knee" it's temptation for cheap shots to be taken. There are guys in the league that will do it - hell that's how he got hurt in the first place - but I certainly hope that they don't...

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I heard BR Smith say not to worry, that SM will make it through all 16 games.

I'll go with that.

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes 16, not 18 though....

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Those guys didn't play for a season and a half without having surgery. His body is going to be off kilter for the entire season and regardless of what kind of brace he wears, the knee is going to undergo abnormal stress and so will the rest of his body. I still remember the Steve Mizerack beer commercial when he said "Practice, practice, practice" when asked what his secret was. Merriman will not be able to practice to keep his edge, he'll be on pain killers and the injury is sure to deteriorate throughout the season. Merriman is just being plain stupid. It may be his decision, but he is more than likely playing himself of the that mammoth contract is due for after the coming season. The only thing that will change his fate here is if he comes to his senses when his body betrays him and he has the surgery that four different doctors have told him he should have now.