1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can Ron Rivera really fix this defense?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 17, 2009.

?

Is Rivera the right man to turn the defense around?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Our offense is always top 5 in scoring and very efficient, and we know thats where Norv's expertise is. The reality is he has very little input on what happens with our defense.

Our problem started when we lost Wade Phillips as DC.

2006 - 1st in scoring offense, 7th ranked D with Wade Phillips. (14-2)

2007- 5th in scoring offense, 14th ranked D with Cottrell (11-5) I feel we still could have won the Super Bowl this year If we had stayed healthy in the playoffs.

2008- 2nd in scoring offense, 25th ranked D with Cottrell/Rivera (8-8) Got a little better after we fired Cottrell.

2009- 10th in scoring offense, 26th ranked D. (2-2)

The common denominator is our defense is looking worse and worse every year. We are still trying to copy Wade Phillips 3-4 scheme, and we have 3-4 type players, but we're doing it with a true 4-3 coach in Ron Rivera. I feel like we might be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and despite his intensity I'm not sure Rivera is the right man for the job.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Can he play NT?

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I would say, that from what I've seen, he's not the problem. We're not getting pressure which is definitely due to predictable play calling but that is not his fault. There is no doubt about that Rivera has the schemes and then it all falls on execution. Execution or a lack thereof is hurting us way more. It's not that the blitz is bad but that the players can't execute. Couple a lack of pressure with a very week vanilla defense that seems to be afraid to tackle people and everything gets magnified and looks way worse.

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Not if he has to stay with the 3-4

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think its harder to preach a scheme when its not actually your own idea. If we didn't have 3-4 in place already I don't think Rivera would be running it, I think he understands the 4-3 better.

I do agree our players need to be held more accountable this year. We are flat out getting our asses handed to us on the D-line. Possibly the worst in the entire NFL through 4 games, and thats not an exaggeration.

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Need you ask what I voted??? :lol:

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm not to high on his defense right now, but he might be able to, but not with the players he has right now :no:

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    With Jamal out I'm not so certain we have 3-4 players anymore.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Are you talking scheme or the number of guys you consider to be football players? :unsure: :icon_tease: