1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone please explain this

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Aussiebolt21, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Aussiebolt21

Aussiebolt21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    How can you lead the NFL in total offence and total defence and still miss the playoffs. Is it coaching? is it the special teams poor performance? Has this ever happened before?

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Awful special teams, we were on pace for worst ever. Not sure if we set any records. At least Norv kept his promise of no more blocked punts (barely).

Add to that all the fumbles at awful times (all the Tolbert/Mathews fumbles cost us a lot of points).

3. Aussiebolt21

Aussiebolt21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    And I forgot to mention injuries, when you loose your best three receivers for a good chunk of the season it really hurts

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Don't forget that the #1 defense ranking is a complete joke and about as far from being reality as it could possibly be. They are somewhere near the middle of the pack.

Also, don't under estimate the importance of not overlooking your opponent and the coach needing to ensure his team is ready week after week. because the Chargers played in 5 games this year where they completely didn't show up and looked pas their opponent. Hopefully some day, we can get a head coach that will instill the importance of not overlooking a crappy opponent

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Its all stats.

You can skew the stats to make anything look good. The bottom line is performance. Stats are for the fanatsy football people, real people look at the standings.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    What I wanna kno is how much longer are they gonna have that addage of If you win your division your in. Congrats OAK on the 6-0 record and absoultly not even a sniff of post season play.

Win your division my ***, more like win your conference.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    win your division means have the best record (or tiebreaker) of all the teams in your division, not the best record within your division

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    also, I believe they showed a stat that the Chargers have the best point diferential for a non-playoff team since 1970 (or something like that)

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    everyone on the team sucks. Stats lie.

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    You can run and tell that, homeboy

11. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    They also led the league in Sacks.....while they did until the Steelers got 4 on the Browns and we only got 3 against Denver.

You have to give credit to coaching for the statistical rankings I believe...especially with all the injuries.

Special Teams is the #1 goat......Scifres usually pinning teams in the 20 used to hurt our ranking.....this year lots of TD drives of less than 20 helped them.

Playing from behind also helped the offense pile up yards in some games.

It's usually a combination of thinks as much as people want to blame one thing.

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I bet the people in Seattle are happy! They won their division

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    About as happy as we were in 2008.

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The offense was phenomenal, no reason to dispute that they were indeed the number 1 most potent offense in the league this year. Rivers had his best year and the rushing game was solid throughout.

The defense consistently held teams and was a pass rushing nightmare for their opponents. How it didn't translate to more wins is baffling. The Chargers had a decisive advantage in time of possession because of this defense yet the most potent offense in the league didn't handily put opponents away. Why?

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Statistically maybe, but we were the #15 rushing team in the league, and many of our runs where in the 2nd half of blow outs. We rarely ran in close games

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Turnovers, how many times did we drive the length of the field just to fumble it away? How many Interceptions did Rivers throw? How many big returns did our special teams give up, how many touchdowns did our special teams give up. How blocked punts did we have, how many bad punts did we have, How many Field Goals did we kick? How many Field goals did we miss?

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Every unit and every player on every team has made mistakes throughout the year. That's inevitable. Rivers has thrown some INTs, WRs have dropped some passes, defenders have missed some tackles. Mistakes always happen, so pointing at them is not a solid argument to say that they share all or most of the blame or that their overall performance (statistical or otherwise) isn't as good as it's looked.

The bottom line is, more often than not the offense has been responsible for what's good with this team this year and there's no shame in admitting it. Has there been some costly mistakes by the offense? Sure, the end of the first Raiders game definitely comes to mind. But if I'm going to divvy the blame to the three units of the team the offense is going to get the tiniest piece of the blame pie.

18. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    It was pretty evident that the historic special teams breakdowns cost us early, but what is most upsetting to me are the games the earlier poster mentioned, where the team just did not show up against very weak opponents, even with the season on the line against Oakland and Cincinatti. I cannot help but feel it is the HC's job to get a team's heart and heads ready for games, and I honestly feel that's where Norv fails to get it done far too often.

19. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    Excuses are like.....you know the rest.

The way the NFL compiles stats skews the rankings...we were defensively decent, and decent running the ball, horrible special teams, horrible preparation, and good to excellent passing game...bottom line is that's not good enough. Defense needs to tighten up, either drafting a SS or shopping for one should be second on list only after signing Jackson.

the stats are skewed because....we gave up a ton of special teams yardage or blocked punts or turnovers....so even if the other team scores, they only have to go 20 yards to do it...then we had horrible return average on punts and kickoffs, so we have to drive 90 yards, and there you have #1 offense and defense...but all that really matters is whats on the scoreboard at the end.

those not to blame for this horrible year

Rivers
    Antonio Gates
    Ryan Matthews
    Vincent Jackson
    McMicheal
    Crayton
    Tolbert
    Cooper
    Weddle
    Jammer
    Cason
    Phillips
    Burnett
    Siler
    Garay
    McNeal
    Ron Rivera

those to blame

AJ Smith
    Norv Turner
    Crosby
    Malcom Floyd (not strong enough for this league-season is sixteen games)
    Nanee (see above, plus some key drops)
    Buster Davis (what a bust)
    Larry English (see above)
    Oliver (stupidest DB, can't even read a newspaper)
    Castillo
    Sproles (worst 7 million dollar player in NFL history)
    Hester

expect a strong oakland and KC next year, plus road games at Soldier field, foxborough, ny jets, jacksonville and home opponents Baltimore, green bay, minnesota and miami

They better sort this roster out and get prepared or there will be a losing season (if there is a season) next year...

sorry for the ramblin' rant, just venting and Norv.....STOP PUSSSING OUT AND ABANDANING YOUR GAME PLAN! A FOOTBALL GAME IS 4 QUARTERS, THE CAPTAIN MUST ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN!

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Wait... Defensive stats are a joke, but you are using offensive stats to make a point? Which is it, are they a joke, or do you just feel the need to nay say everything based on your obviously jaded opinion of the team?

I for one know the D earned their top billing. If you disagree, well go back and watch the games again with an open set of eyes.

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976

I LOL'ed when I read this...

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Stats do not tell all the story, which is what I was implying (Sorry it went over your head). Stats say we are the #1 defense, but that is a complete joke. Stats also say we are the #15 rushing team in the league, which is also a joke.

I have watched every single game twice, and I will say the same to you. If you really think they are #1, then you should go back and watch because they were no where near top in the league.

Do you think the Bears, Steelers, Ravens, or Jets are sitting their thinking, "Damn I wish our defense was as good as San Diego"? Not a chance in hell.

23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    No, they're thinking, "Whew! Philip Rivers and The Chargers didn't make the Playoffs this year."