1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Can the Chargers get it done in New Orleans next week?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    No! The Chargers are not an elite team. Our starters would not be practice squad players on any other roster. We are 0-4, the worst team in the NFL and most of the College ranks. We cant beat the unstoppable Saints becuase we cant hold the sweat that comes off of Brees' and Sprole's jock straps. We suck! We cant win! Dont even get me started on the most loosingest head coach in the NFL, let alone Chargers history Norv!

I cant watch, we are doomed! DOOOOMED! DOOMED I TELL YOU!

</sarcasm>
    :rolleyes: :poop: :rolleyes:

2. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    This is the part of the game I'm most interested in. The Chargers offense needs to show that it can move the ball consistently against mediocre to bad defenses. If this game is going to be a "shootout" then the Chargers need to show that they got enough bullets in the chamber to keep the pace.

Also something I will be closely monitoring, Norv showed us (yesterday) he will onside with the lead, it seems like "trickery" as a whole within the league is making a big comeback with lots of fake punts, field goals, etc. in almost every game now. Teams may have been sleeping on special teams, but if you do you will likely get burned. In the past, Saints have made some hay on special teams, not so much so this season and because of that, this is an area where the Chargers might be able take advantage of (a thought that was almost inconceivable a year ago) but that is how much the Chargers special teams has improved, imo.

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Okay...just so I'm clear: You're saying the Chargers will lose...because Brees & company are good?

So, if the Chargers do somehow win, it won't be "...a fraud...against a lousy 0-5 team" true?

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,771
    I'll go out on a limb here and predict a Bolt win in a low scoring event. The defense is getting better every week and I can see them taking control of the Breesers, I'm more worried about River's and company.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    It was reported after the game that the onside was a result of Novak misunderstanding a signal from the sideline. Quite frankly, the reason the onside was "unpredictable" is because it was a completely stupid and uncalled for move. We had just scored to go up by 17 with only a few minutes to play.

6. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Bolts win this one.
    1. Saints receivers seem to not be on same page with Brees and all
    have developed a case of the "dropsies".
    2. The fans will not be that into it, they have much more experience
    with bags over their heads than anyone else in the league.
    3. Antonio Gates cannot be covered, and Rivers now is quite aware of this.
    4. Rivers will have time to throw, Saints D line has their own flag, it's not
    the fleur-de-lis, it's a plain field of white (same as the French flag).
    5. Mathews is faster on carpet. (He'll have a few long runs).
    6. Our safeties will have plenty of opportunities for picks with the pass rush
    coming and Brees will have to chuck it before he's ready.
    7. (insert your reason here).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    And the week prior to that, they nearly beat a very bad Chiefs team at home, only they lost.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    7. Pat Robertson has cursed the city as being a den of iniquity. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
  9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I'm aware of that, but didn't include it, because though a close loss, the loss reinforces the 'awful Saints' theory.
    I cited the Green Bay game 'cause it's part of the rationale for me saying I don't think they're as bad as 0-4 suggests

11. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    The best part about this is I still hadn't sobered up from yesterdays game before this thread started! Can we beat an 0-4 team? Can meaning 'theoretically'? Theoretically a pee wee team could beat the saints....a piece of cheese could gain consciousness and take over the universe...of course some on this forum think these are more probably events than any Chargers team winning.....ask 'will the chargers get it done'.

They can and might win, they might not, nothing is guarenteed in football, that's why they play the games. Let's be completely honest, we all know an 0-4 team with a great QB at home is a dangerous animal...it's backed into a corner and terrified. But with the right preparation and execution the animal can be taken down. With Gaither back and a weak Saints rush Rivers should have more time than he has had in the first 3 games....when he's had time he's looked good. Gates shows no signs of his age or foot bothering him, and Floyd has glue all over his hands. Toss in Meachem, Royal, Rosario and our pass catching backs and that's a lot of options. I think Norv is figuring that we don't need big plays to put up points, check downs and tight end routes work. Our defense looks to be the better of the two with the exception of Cason, who terrifies me and I'd probably give Gilchrist the nod this week as Cason looks like a terrified child in every game.

Butler for president.

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You know that both Gates and Floyd have dropped many critical passes already this season, right?

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Butler for president FTW. Ingram for Secy. of Defense. :tup:

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    So, in other words, you simply ignore any data that doesn't support your opinion. That's OK I guess. But it suggests your opinions are based more on your preconceived notions than the facts. Teams can have drastically different performances from week to week, but there have been a few obvious patterns.

1. The Saints have lost all of their games
    2. Their defense has been terrible in each game

I don't think the Saints are a bad team. I don't think their awful. But they are certainly beatable.

15. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    I'm not sold on our team as a whole. The win in KC was nice, but -1 yards of offense in the entire third quarter has me more than a little concerned. With 6 turnovers, frankly we should have put up a 50-burger if the offense is as stellar as we'd like it to be. I love the D I saw and I think they can play with the Saints, but the offense is going to need to spell them off the field consistently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Ack! This is why you shouldn't jump to absurd conclusions! :confused:

No, you mis-reading my comment does not at all "suggest" I hold any such opinion!
    I never said the Saints weren't "beatable."
    I said I'm concerned because their 0-4 record is misleading. If I were arguing that they
    were horrible, I would be stressing the games that made them look worst. But I wasn't...
    I never said I was "ignoring" any data...but since my claim was that the Saints aren't as bad
    as 0-4 suggests, the onus is on me to tell why...and the best argument for that is that they
    --in their most recent game--played to a virtual tie with a very good team, on the road.
    That is indisputable--despite their other 3 games--and is a reason to take them very seriously.

Honestly, I really resent the 100% fabricated nonsense about me supposedly "ignoring"
    data because of preconceived ideas. You, of course, are absolutely free to disagree with
    any opinion, but my record on this site absolutely refutes any such claim of refusing to
    accept data I didn't like. :mad:

17. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    He also knows he does get hurt easily so look for him to be protecting his body before he protects the ball.

18. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,504
    Since we've only lost one game, how many can truly be considered "critical"? ;)

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I said critical, not game-defining :-D

20. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +316
    We should beat the Saints.., but our inconsistency scares the hell outta me. :cautious:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I've been a Cason backer too but that blown coverage on Bowe for a TD was a rookie move.

22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +509
    1. Bowe is no slouch.
    2. Cason expected Bigby over the top (that's why he bit on Bowe's first move.
    Bigby followed the TE dragging instead.
    3. Pro Bowl corners get beat every week.
    4. That game is over, we won.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +251
    I like the Chargers chances in the Big Easy. The offense should be able to give the Saints "D" all they can handle and them some. With all of the weapons Rivers has to work with they could hang on to the ball and chew up the clock. The offense really hasn't worked together this season due to various injuries, but it looks like things are starting to gel.

If the defense can put some heat on Brees (and I think they can) he won't be able to sit back and pick on our CB's all night. I am expecting a close, hard fought game on Sunday night. Again, I like our chances.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,374
    You said you didn't mention the KC game because it didn't support your opinion. Your opinion would see much more valid if when I brought it up, rather than saying you didn't bring up the Saints/Chiefs game because it did not support your opinion, you explained why you put so much more stock in the Saints' performance against the Pack instead of their performance against the Chiefs. I have not said the Saints are great or horrible. The whole premise of this thread is, "How can we possibly beat a mighty 0-4 team with a horrible defense on the road?" It's not like I or someone else started this thread to argue the Saints were a bad team or the game should be a cakewalk. It was started by someone who is acting like a game against an 0-4 team with a bad defense is an insurmountable challenge. My only argument is that acting like the Chargers cannot possibly win is ridiculous. Yes, the Saints are not as bad as their record would indicate. They are a talented team, a wounded animal and they are at home. The game will not be an easy one. But asking if the Chargers "can" get it done seems like a question that should be reserved for when they play an elite team, not an 0-4 team.

At the moment, the Saints are playing like the Chargers have in years past, playing just well enough to lose, regardless of their level of competition. It reminds me of last year, when we came close to beating the Pack at home, despite two pick sixes by Rivers, and then got manhandled by the Raiders at home the following week.

Honestly, I could see the Chargers winning this game or losing this game by two scores. We just don't know what we are going to get from this team week to week. They need to show some consistency.

25. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +295
    This is a classic trap game. On the road, struggling opponent, ENORMOUS game the following week.

Something tells me though this team is somewhat better grounded than years past. I call no trap here, Chargers win.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Anyone that looks past Drew Brees...at home...should be shot.

• Like Like x 1
  27. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +295
    Yep, but again, I don't see it happening.

28. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I thought KC was supposed to be the trap game? When did this switch? Why didn't I get a memo?

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    With all disrespect to Mr. Robertson, I believe the citizens of N'awlins beat him to it.

Bourbon Street.jpg

30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I think that the silver lining here, is that--at least for the next 6 days--
    the Chargers are decent enough to have trap games!

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2: