1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can VJ shake the "inconsistent" tag?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 17Rocks, Jul 20, 2008.

1. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    From ESPN:

I see VJ referred to as inconsistent an awful lot. He did come on strong at the end of the year last year, but will that carry over into this season?

2. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    He'll probably put up inconsistent numbers if LT and Gates are both healthy, but I think we saw in the playoffs that he can get it done if called upon. I wouldn't be that surprised to see him, Chambers, and Gates have similar yardage totals at the end of the year.

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i remember someone calling him "weak" because his YAC was low, but then the next game he broke a tackle and ran it for a grip of yards lol

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    His problem has been that he's a slow starter; both in 2006 and in 2007 he didn't play well for the first half of the season. However as the season progressed he became more and more valuable.

VJ has got to start as strong as he finishes in order to truly be a #1, but he's made so much progress I have faith.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Comes with maturity.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The whole receiving team was struggling in the beginning last season due to no veteran talent. It was easy to see that Rivers missed McCardell big time!!! Even Parker would have been helpful.

It took a few weeks for Chambers to learn our offense but he figured it out and that also picked up Jackson's performance.
    Chambers is ready to shred any defense and Jackson is going into his third year as a starter!!! :bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    A few also called him "brittle".

8. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    wasnt that pf88?

anyhow, VJ has proved himself as a receiver, who could forget the seattle game in 06?

9. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Inconsistent? Maybe when he first got into the league. Watching him last year, he looked anything but. The addition of Chambers helped free him up, but VJ made some great catches and fought for more YAC's.

10. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    This preseason, nobody better plant a goddamned hand truck near the field! :tdown:

11. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    VJ was inconsistent, but I think it's pretty clear, in hindsight, that it was poor coaching. Chambers' arrival marked a vast improvement in WR play. You could see it at a stunningly fundamental level - sharper routes, hand-catches, YAC.

Lofton may have been a great WR in his day, but as a coach I think he lacked.

With Chambers and Joiner here for a full year now, I believe we're about to witness the second coming of "Air" to San Diego - Air Turner, with Philip Rivers in the cockpit. That is, if Gates can really, truly recover. If he does - whoo boy.

12. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    VJ is ready to be a prime time receiver this season. He showed what he can do in the playoffs last year by making big play after big play. He lead the league with 300 postseason receiving yards. He had at least 93 yards receiving in all three of the Chargers’ playoff games, including his first career 100-yard game when he recorded 114 yards and a touchdown in the Bolts’ Wild Card Playoff win over the Tennessee Titans. Throughout the postseason, Jackson routinely made huge catches on third down, tying for the league lead with eight third-down catches, good for 152 yards (19.0 avg) and a touchdown. :tup:

13. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    VJ has followed the same trajectory as the majority of receivers, maturing with the third season. A guy his size, who could simply dominate others physically in college, needs time to develop the abilities he didn't need playing against guys who wouldn't even make the Arena League.

14. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Charlie Joiner is a definite upgrade at WR coach. He's the master at running the perfect route, catching and getting the YAC. Glad Lofton is in Turdland

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Just don't ever bring in Kellen Winslow as a tight end coach!!! :lol:

16. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Lofton's already been mentioned as a HC candidate should Kiffin's Raiduhz fall on their face for the fifth straight year.

So.... looks like Lofton's the new Raiders HC in 2009. :lol:

It does make sense that Joiner is our WR coach, seeing as how Norv's WR schemes are inspired by Joiner's precise route-running. Who better than the source of inspiration to teach what Norv wants?

17. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    VJ will be fine. He has Chambers as a player to help him out and we have Joiner as well as the WR coach to help VJ with his route running and catching skills.

I have no worries what so ever about VJ what so ever.

I think he will start to shine this year because of his height and coaching he has around him. Teams will start to game plan against VJ. Just my opinion there.

18. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

It's going to be hard to double cover VJ, Chambers, and Gates, and still try to key on LT. :yes:

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    There is going to be a lot of single coverages for VJ to exploit.

The opposing defenses ar ealways going to key on LT all game long and the rest of the offense is going to see a lot of looks from Rivers. It means that our WR's are going to have a lot of favorable outlooks that it is not funny. There is going to be so many weapons for Rivers to see that he is going to be like a kid in a Candy Store trying to select who he wants to throw the ball to.

Just my opinion here is a lot of times I think since we have Chambers, is that Rivers will see Chambers like Jericho Cotchery while both Rivers and Cotchery were in NCSU.

VJ will be Rivers second read if Chambers is going to be covered by 2 or more LB's and DB's. VJ is going to have too many favorable matchups that Rivers is going to go to VJ more this year because of those Matchup problems the VJ gives.

I am liking this years Chargers more and more.

!!!!!GO CHARGERS GO!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Hope they stack the box. BANZAI!, butt heads.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So many weapons, so little time. :lol:

The Bolt Blitzkrieg - coming soon to kick some *** near you!! :yes:

22. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    :lol:
    Hope PF88 didn't see that.
    Kick a guy while he's down!!

23. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    VJax is gunna dominate this year for sure, i mean he was doin work in the games, but it seemed like he was still getting used to playing in the league. towards the end of the season, he looked about as good as chambers IMO. VJax has a lot of height, and he jumps out the sky, so i think well be seeing a LOT of VJax over the top, itll look like an alley oop from chris paul to tyson chandler :yes: (yes, i DID make a basketball reference in a football thread. :D)

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well done!!

:yes:

the only problem for our offense this year is going to be

a. Hardwick doesn't return

b. there one ball to go around! (again with the BB reference!!) :lol:

25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Maybe the major problem will be the defense getting rusty if we have the ball for 45 minutes a game.

26. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Rule one!! SHARE THE BASKETB-- I MEAN FOOTBALL!

if hardwick doesnt return, im not overly worried cuz AJ is a god and he fills out the roster and stacks EVERY position.

27. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
  28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    VJ has become a bonified red zone threat with his ability to go up high and get the ball in the corner of the end zone.

He has had flashes of inconsistency, but this is what his 3rd year? No 4th year in the league. Every young receiver has flashes of inconsistency. The true measure is this:

Is he improving every game? The hand down answer has to be unequivocally, YES!

29. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Most media whores don't expect our WR to be much of a threat even though both came up big in several postseason games. That's ok, we still have a chance to surprise every non-Charger follower this season with Chambers, VJ, Davis, and Naanee as the top 4 WR.

30. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It wasn't like VJ was the only one who was inconsistent last year. The entire team played inconsistently for the first 8-10 games of the year. I think we've seen VJ, Rivers and the passing game really turn the corner. With everyone having a year in Norv's system, this offense has the potential to be the among the best in Chargers history.