1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can We Win Next Year By......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Feb 28, 2010.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Just replacing those that we have lost and having some of our younger guys get that year of experience? The LT arguement will go on for years I'm sure but depending on who we get (draft/sign/trade) will that improve us enough? Will replacing Cro at the DB position improve us enough?
    By the looks of it, AJ is looking to keep our WR's & Merriman so not much will change there. You have to also believe that he is going to try and do something on the defensive line either by way of starter or depth. OL.....that is going to be interesting to see what happens. Many debate LT was the problem and many believe it was the line that was the issue. So if AJ leaves the OL as is he is either agreeing with those that think LT dropped in his play or ok with how our running game was coached. So other then LT & Cro I'm not sure where we are going to make any drastic changes.

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I truly believe the move that will make the biggest difference will be the return of Jamal, and the drafting of a quality backup. Without a stud NT to take up double teams, the double teams get moved out to the LB's and kills our pass rush. With Jamal and a rookie coming in, it should open up the ability for Merriman and English/Phillips to get to the QB more. It will also help the rushing defense. The improvement on defense will help the team as a whole

3. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Don't forget we also had one of the most injured teams last year.

Getting starters, and depth back will help. Also the rookies who grew a lot should see improvement. That alone will make us better.

4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I think having a run game more than 1 yard dives will help as well.:tup:

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree. The question is, will it improve enough to make a difference. I highly doubt the running game averages better than 4.2 ypc. If it does, I would be stoked

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree the return of Jamal will make us much better defensively along with Ryon Bingham who was also hurt on that defensive front. I don't think the running game can get much worse ranked 31st so even a slight improvement with a rookie/vet would be great. I think also if we come out the game relatively healthy unlike last season against the Faiders we will be good. That game up in Oakland just beat the crap out of us and gave us a slow start. Not to mention a slightly softer schedule. This team I predict will be a lot better. Then again I always believe that every season.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    If the run game only averages 4-4.2 YPC I'd be stoked because that's all we really need. The run game is not the bread and butter of this offense anymore, it doesn't need to be dominant.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    what we've lacked for years was a run game that could get that 3rd and short. OR get it in on the goal line. Would help to have a rb that can move the pile 3 or 4 yards a pop. It would help us alot to keep getting those first downs and touchdowns of course.:yes:

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree, and that is why I think going after a big bodied pile mover would be a much smarter move than a Sproles/CJ type guy. We need a RB who can over come the lack of a hole being created for them, by making their own. We also need someone who doesn't go down at initial contact like LT and Sproles did

10. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +295
    i look forward to getting more than 2-3 yard runs. When LT was a threat to break a 20-30 yarder on any given down that was great. I'd like to see those possibilities again. First we need to find the RB. I think it can only open up our passing game. Play action... bring back the good old days.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    Opening up our passing game is a scary thought. :yes:

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i certainly think so, i dont think that we are too much off from being in the big dance. i really think the main things we need to address is RB and CB, we will definitely draft a rb and perhaps trade for a cb, or pick up another through FA. i really would love to see rolle in powder blue

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The same Rolle who was moved to safety because he wasn't very good as a CB?

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +641
    Noo, haven't you heard Hacksaw saying that this roster is in crisis? :icon_tease:

let's break it down

Oline: better, Vazquez, and the two alphabets will be better, Nick will be healthier
    QB: same
    WR/TE: same
    RB: I think an improvement with a high round rookie RB (specially with a power back)

Dline: better, Jamal coming back, OG and Martin ith more experience and maybe a rookie (who realisticly wont contribute much in year 1)
    OLB: better, Merriman healthy, English with more experience
    ILB: same
    CB: slightly worse, Jammer a year older and even thought Cro won't tackle, at this point he's better than Cason
    S: better, more experience for Weddle, Ellison, Oliver, Gregory and maybe Spillman

so over all, only Jamal and maybe Jammer are getting older, the rest are getting better :tup:

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What a shame. We really need an upgrade over Mr. Speedbump Cooper