1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can we win the AFC this year?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Oct 24, 2014.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Oct 7, 2010
    Last nights game showed me that the Broncos are really tough beat with their improved defense. I'm more worried about is how the calls went their way and if we meet them @Denver it'll be difficult to impossible for Peyton to not be let to go to another SB. I just hope they can lose another game or two and we win out to grab that Home-field advantage. We may unfortunately be a year away AGAIN from being a SB contender.
  2. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Dec 13, 2010
    The question should be can we win the AFC West.....and thus at least have the chance of the super bowl going through SD.

Say we regroup on 9 days rest and go out and beat Miami, we are 6-3 going into the bye, coming out of the bye its home to the Raiders...so say we win and go to 7-3. Then our schedule gets tough but if by then we have Matthews, Te'o, Ingram, Freeney, Verret, Brown, Attaochou, Flowers all 100% then its possible to go 5-1 down the last 6 and end 12-4 if we stay healthy and hot.

Now look at the Broncos, the need to lose 3 more....they have away New England next week, then still have to come to Qualcomm, have to play at Arrowhead, and away at Cincinati....could they lose 3 of those 4? Sure...say Ware and Welker both get serious injuries, say Manning does...anything is possible

We cannot lose another divisional game though, or we'll lose on the tiebreaker, if we can finish 4-2 in the division and get help with KC beating Denver in Arrowhead then there is a chance...just can't lose another AFC game.

unlikely, but possible, the Chiefs game really hurt
  3. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Jul 10, 2006
    I think we can win the AFC, whether we win the division or not.

If we can get our injured starters back healthy & fresh going into the postseason, I like our chances against anybody, even on the road.

With Te’o stuffing the run, with Ingram & Attaochu rushing the passer, Freeney playing only on obvious passing downs with Verrett & Flowers locking down opposing wideouts, Butler picking off passes and Weddle & Gilchrist playing “centerfield”, helping against the run & blitzing on occasion, coupled with Philip supported by a competent running game rotating Mathews, Oliver, Donald & Ronnie Brown, M80 stretching the field and Keenan, Gates & Royal catching the underneath passes & running for what they could get with running backs also catching passes out of the backfield, Novak hitting almost every field goal attempt and Scifres booming them & pinning opposing teams deep, I don’t think a team in the league could beat us.
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Sep 25, 2011
    ^ Very ambitious the way Donald Butler has been playing. That contract Telesco gave him looks even more brilliant. Thank God. He's drove me crazy since 2013. He has all the talent in the world, just can't seem to figure it out.