1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Canepa's Edwards column - 7/26/06

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Link

It is more muckraking, trying to drive a wedge between AJ and Marty.

.... and stick Canepa firmly into the ball watcher category.

Then there is Marty:
    Dear Marty,
    If you can't see that Edwards sucked last year, even before his meniscus tear, then you have no business being Head Coach of the San Diego Chargers.

~~~~

AJ totally rips Donna .....
    Don't mince words there, Mr. AJ. Tell us how you really feel ! :icon_eek:

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I read too many posts by dumb asss fans thinking A.J. has no personality or he is a dick or he has no charisma or ..... you get the picture.

Those fans are fugging morons.

I have said A.J. could be a cactus for all I care so long as he delivers a Lombardi.

Everything else is just a godddamm handjob for the touchy feeley fans too sensitive or borderline pussiess to make the hard call.

Donnie needs to shut the fuc-up.

If Donnie is worthy - then teams will come pounding down our door.

........Those same teams are NOT which was A.J.'s way of slamming Donnies balls in a vice to say "you are not worth as much as you think you assshole ...."

3. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Another Saints thread on 59

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. commented, "I read everything" and suspect he got tired of Donnies BS games within the media.

A.J. showed Donnie exactly what the NFL's leading tackler of shoe strings is worth.

5. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    BTW .....

I didn't put all the Saints crap into that post, but apparently the other NO rumors that "kentish_man" posted about signings came true today. Those guys think he is credible.

We've discussed this scenario before, that NOLA would trade Bennett once Bush signs, then use that pick to acquire Edwards. It's not a new thought, but it's one that keeps bubbling around.

What needs to happen is for Benson to sign Bush. Then we'll see if the ball gets rolling to trade Bennett .... then hopefully - "BYE BYE DONNIE" ....

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    I get the impression you dont like Donnie... ;)

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Not as a difference maker.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    I would be o.k. with him if he would shut his frickin mouth.:icon_evil:

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I would be OK if not only that BUT also make a tackle behind the LOS or cover somebody worth a damn when asked to do it.

10. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    He could talk all he wanted to if he could make impact tackles, force turnovers, and actually cover someone.

I still can't believe Canepa is dumb enough to call Edwards "the Chargers best defensive back."

Friggin' moron .....

11. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Just relating this to the Edwards stuff because of the Bush/Bennett scenario ....

1. Mario Williams - signed

2. Reggie Bush

Saints | R. Bush talks to heat up
    Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:19:29 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports hard negotiations between the New Orleans Saints and agent Joel Segal on a contract for Saints' first-round draft pick RB Reggie Bush will get underway Thursday, July 27. They are scheduled to engage in what almost certainly will be the most substantive negotiations yet on a contract for the second overall choice in the draft. The negotiating session, expected to be conducted by phone, comes on the day when Saints players are to report to training camp at Millsaps College near Jackson, Miss. Bush is seeking a deal in the range of the six-year, $54 million contract that DE Mario Williams, the top overall selection in the NFL Draft, received from the Houston Texans. There were reports last week that Bush might consider sitting out the entire 2006 season and re-entering the draft in 2007, but those were regarded as premature.

3. Vince Young

Titans | Fisher believes Young will report to training camp on time
    Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:39:12 -0700

The Associated Press reports Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher is optimistic the team will be able to have all of their draft picks signed in the next few days. When asked about contract negotiations with first-round pick QB Vince Young, Fisher said, "I'm confident things are moving along. There isn't anyone wanting this to spill out to Friday or Saturday -- Vince, Major Adams [Young's agent] or the organization. If it does spill over, it's because the contract is pending league approval. I spoke with Vince this morning, and he really wants to be there and is excited about it."

4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Jets | Ferguson signing official
    Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:50:01 -0700

The New York Jets have announced the official signing of rookie OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson to an undisclosed contract. "We are extremely pleased D'Brickashaw and his representatives understand the importance of practicing with his teammates as camp begins," said Jets' general manager Mike Tannenbaum. "This was a constructive process as both sides were professional and proactive throughout the negotiations."

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I have never respected Nick "Cantelope head" Canepa takes.

That dude is an idiot. Flat out moron and disgrace. Worse that Hacksaw.....Jim Romie and all those pukes.

13. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Acee article 8-4-06:

Give him a Tylenol and a plane ticket to New Orleans.

14. mef31

mef31 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Even if Donnie isn't traded do you think its possible Wilhelm becomes the starter during the season? If he shows more of what he did last year in the preseason games, makes some tackles for loss and lays some people out i think he should get the job.

15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Last time I checked, Edwards was a linebacker, not a DB. :icon_huh:

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I heard Quacksaw just got a job broadcasting on a Japanese internet radio. He's calling Sumu matches. "Now I want to talk fat guys in diapers with you..."

Disclaimer: The previous statement was complete fabricated by some wabbit.

17. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I do think it's possible and that change SHOULD have happened sometime last season.

Donnie is a goner this week ......

18. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Linky?

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Never mind. I found it.

I can't believe they think that team is going to be good. Besides the fact that is a new HC, new offense, new defense, new broken winged QB, rookie featured RB (with another "Duece" coming off injury), crappy CB's, no LB's, questionable DL, horrid OL ....... AND they have three good teams in their division AND they play the four NFC East teams this year AND their AFC opponents are PITT, CINN, BALT and Cleveland.

New Orleans won't win 4 games this year. Maybe only Buffalo will be worse.

20. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Posted on the NFL Forum. He got it from this book.

21. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    SI Training Camp Postcard - Chargers -8/9/06

Where's Jeffri: San Diego, where the Chargers train at team headquarters.

Here's the Drill

1. Donnie Edwards isn't shy about discussing his bitterness towards Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. After failing to get the Chargers to give him a contract extension this offseason, the linebacker has been searching for a trade over the last few months. He says his agent, Tom Condon, has found some willing suitors but Smith's high asking price -- a second-round pick, according to Edwards -- is killing interest. "I would've liked for things to be different here but they aren't," says Edwards, an 11-year veteran who has led San Diego in tackles in each of the last four years. "We had permission to seek a trade, we found some offers and now I'm ready to put this to rest. It's time for a change. [Smith] has made this a very difficult environment to work in and I'm ready to just go some place where I'm appreciated."

~~~~~~

LT on Jim Rome is Burning - hosted by former KC player Whitlock:

Whitlock to LT: "Donnie Edwards called me" .....

~~~~~~

The distraction is growing, and growing, and growing ...

22. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I am tired of Donnie already this is just as annoying as Brees vs. Rivers.

23. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    ChargerDave did a transcript:

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    Just go done listening to it. When is Donnie going to stop crying like a little *****? He just needs to shut his piehole play.

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    From a Chargers.com poster .......

Damn, I wish I would have thought of that ... :lol:

26. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I hope he gets his wish to leave ....... soon !!!

27. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, it was so difficult to work in. That's why Quentin Jammer and Nick Hardwick ended up signing contract extensions..... :lol:

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maurile
    From Pro Football Prospectus 2006.

PFP keeps track of some interesting statistics. One of them is the percentage of defensive plays that a player is involved in -- including tackles, sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, pass deflections and interceptions.

Donnie Edwards was involved in 20.8% of the Chargers' defensive plays -- the highest figure for any defensive player in the league. This is impressive.

On the other hand, the quality of his involvement was poor.

Out of the 11 players in the Chargers' front seven (starters and backups), Edwards was dead last in his "Stop Rate" -- the percentage of plays he was involved in that prevented a "success" by the offense. (A "success" is any first-down play that gains at least 45% of the yardage required to make a first down, 60% of the yardage needed on second down, and 100% of the yardage needed on third or fourth down. So if it's 2nd and 10 and the offense gains 7 yards, that's a success; but if the offense gains 5 yards, that's not a success.)

Castillo - 80%
    Olshansky - 76%
    J.Williams - 74%
    Foley - 71%
    Leber - 71%
    Phillips - 70%
    Merriman - 69%
    Godfrey - 67%
    Cooper - 63%
    Cesaire - 60%
    Edwards - 57%

Edwards also ranked dead last among the front seven (starters and backups) in terms of average yards allowed per play that he was involved in.

Phillips: -1.1
    Olshansky: 0.9
    Foley: 1.9
    Castillo: 2.0
    J.Williams: 2.1
    Leber: 2.1
    Merriman: 2.4
    Cesaire: 2.4
    Godfrey: 3.8
    Cooper: 4.4
    Edwards: 5.1

This is very interesting and confirms Dongy Edwards sucks....