1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cap space and Free Agency

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Feb 11, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    The cap for the 2012 season (safe guess) will probably be around $123,000,000. If my math is correct, and honestly its questionable because its hard to find consistant numbers on this topic, going into UFA our cap number will be at about $111,000,000. That includes Jackson's 2011 guaranteed money coming completely of the books, as well as players like Gaither, Hardwick, Garay, Tolbert, Hester, Harris etc... and INCLUDES about 5 million reserved for rookies we draft.​

If we release McNeill ($10 mil) and Castillo ($6 mil) that'll put us roughly $28,000,000 mil under the cap. Then of course English ($1.2 mil) and LaBoy ($1.5mil) are probably gone. Another player I believe could be cut is Quentin Jammer ($4.4 mil). As much as I blame Manusky for diluting our pass rush and playing Jammer in too much zone, lets face it the guy is old for his position. Also there is some rumor that Spikes is on the chopping block ($3.2 mil) but I don't think I'd do that one just yet. And of course Kris Dielman is a retirement risk (5.5 mil) but I think he's coming back.​

My guestimation: We'll have about $33,000,000 to play with in free agency, and as said I've already docked $5 mil for the draft. And kept Dielman, Jammer, and Spikes on the roster in this scenario.​

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Hopefully Smitty is getting the duffle bags of cash ready.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Hire Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    I think your figure is a little high...... there's always money due guys that get cut. You never clear that whole amount.

Jammer won't be cut...... who do we have to replace him with? Cason is even less reliable.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    You might be right, as I said I got different numbers from a few sources. But in my study of this only Castillo would be owed any "dead money" at about 1.1 million. But of course I fully admit I can't be sure. McNeill has an injury clause in his contract as we know, so he's clean.

Also we've already signed some nameless practice squad guys like DeAndre McDaniel who will take their small share.

To be safe, maybe 3o million.

As far as replacing Jammer, free agency and the draft. Expect us to aquire CBs in both.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    $30 million??? You can't even get a decent house in La Jolla for that...... or so Mitt Romney says. ;)

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    You can go through 30 mil pretty damn quick in FA, thats for sure.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    One high priced WR and an OLB should pretty well do it....... with some chump change left for the rest of the roster. ;)

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Which reminds me I forgot Larry English. If we cut him we'd save rougly 1.2 mil and a roster spot otherwise wasted. And Travis LaBoy another 1.5 mil.

I'll add them to the original post.

Also cutting Kaeding would save us about 2 mil, the problem is finding an upgrade over Novak who sucked as the year went on.

10. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Hold up there Buster ......

What happened to your "fixing up the Defense first" attitude ?

No way ONE OLB is gonna make all the difference WE need to get over the hump.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    There is still an NFL draft isn't there?

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    I believe that I was being facetious...... surely, you realized that. ;)

13. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    I'd be fine with us cutting those 3 also................... the time for "sitting around and hoping" has long past.

You'd have thought the Merriman situation would have sunk that home.

14. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Nope, didn't pick that at all.

If VJ does head for greener pastures, we'll certainly need another WR though.

I'd hate to think we'd have to overspend on someone on that side of the ball though, just makes it all the more difficult/unlikely that we get what we need on defense first and foremost.

15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    That would get you a shack down on the coast here also !!!!! :D

16. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd replace Jammer with Cason any day of the week.. he's quicker and a pretty solid tackler (similar to Jammer), can return kicks and also has room for improvement.. Oh and he can actually catch the damn ball..

Gilchrist I think could be ready as well with the OTA's and a full pre-season.. no need to rush him though..

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Like overpaying to get Laurent Robinson back? :D

18. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    That had crossed my mind ........ :rolleyes:

(surely they wouldn't !!!................would they ???)

19. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    OK, Im confused !!!!

You'd rather replace Cason or Jammer ?

The way that reads above is rather contradictory.

20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    fixed lol

21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I had a post related to this on FF. In it I'm working of the assumption that any bonus monies that could be prorated over the term of the remaining contract at the time were - this may or may not be the case, given that 2010 was an uncapped year, but I'm 90% sure that that really only makes a difference for contracts signed that year, and possibly in 2009 (when it was known for certain that 2010 would be an uncapped year because ownership opted out of the old CBA), because the structure of the payout isn't something that can be altered on a year-to-year basis without a restructuring.

The Castillo one is the one I'm really not sure where the heck Acee is coming up with us recouping $5+M of space considering that we don't get to take his prorated signing bonus off the books this year, and if prorated it accelerates and compounds to dead money.

Other that have been mentioned here that I figured I might as well calculate:

English: 1.0075M base off the books, but 2 years of $300K in prorated signing bonus chunks counting in dead money for a total of $407.5K gained.

Jammer: $4M base salary, $400K prorated portion of his signing bonus yet to hit the cap... gain of $3.6M.

Dielman: $4.5M base, $1.7M prorated portion of signing bonus yet to hit... gain of $2.8M

Another to throw out there is Hughes, since he was paid no signing bonus and cutting him trims a million off the books - really depends on how the team feels moving forward with either Gilchrist or Wright at nickel.

Working on Clary, but the site I refer to (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/yearly/) doesn't have a yearly breakdown for him, only his 2011 salary ($8-some million) and his total contract (4 years, $20M including a $6.8M signing bonus). If we assume the cap-hit was evenly prorated on the signing bonus at $1.7M annual, then it actually costs us more to cut him than to keep him ($4.55M to keep versus $5.1M against the books to cut).

22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Who the F is Jonah Hill???

EDIT: She probably is better than Norv at least.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721

Okay one of us is off on hese two (could be me) these are my calculations.

Jammer's base salary is 4M, his signing bonus is 400K, so his cap hit would be 4.4M to keep him. If cut (given that its the final year of his contract) we'd swallow the 400k and we'd save 4 million, correct?

Dielman's base salary is 4.5M, his signing bonus is 1.7M. (cap hit 6.2M) Again he is in the last year of his contract, so if we cut him we'd save 4.5 million.

Castillo really confuses me to. I've heard 5 mil from multiple sources, but when you break down the contract it comes out to about 800k off the cap for 2012. But of course long term it would open up a good chunk of dough.

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    How much cap space do we save cutting Jammer, and what could we get with the cash. I think Jammer is a solid player, however the trouble with this team is that you look around the roster and you can say that about everyone except Larry English. Solid Player, great, but not a playmaker. I'd rather take a chance on Gilchrist and Cason being the starters and roll Jammer's salary into getting some explosive play potential on the roster.

I think that what NE does extremely well is that they use scheming to cover up the weaknesses of the few avg/below avg players on their roster, whose low contract costs allow them to have a few quality playmakers at key areas who are significantly better than the average player on the roster.

Another great example of this was Indy's roster building over the last decade. They had no talent whatsoever in the middle of that defense or in the secondary. It was literally Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and 9 scrubs. It worked, because they spent their entire salary cap on the offensive line, 3 receiving targets and Payton. I'm not saying that this is the model, but it's an example of how you can have holes in certain places on your team as long as you have sufficient quality elsewhere.

Pittsburgh defense is another fantastic example of this. They have a great NT, and 1 good DE. Their CBs are ***, and next to Polamalu is a talent black hole, but because all four of their LBs play exceptionally well, they have a dominating defense.

I wouldn't pay Megatron money for Jackson. I also don't think that Mario Williams should be competing with Rivers for the highest salary on the team in order to get him here. This is what happens to a team when you only have 2 1st round picks on your team living up to expectations from an 8 year period...

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    See I think that's my biggest concern. Folks are all for slashing guys after a down-year for extra available cap, but they don't necessarily consider what you'd pay on the open market for even a play of comparable quality - even if at another position.

Too many people are willing to put the blinders on and tell themselves ANYTHING but (Insert Player Name) would be better, when it's far from the truth. My issue isn't that Jammer is "only" a solid player, it's that we don't have enough depth behind him to make him a luxury that could be easily parted with for cap gain. We drop him and we're creating yet another need for this team that we already have enough of to be honest. Cason lining up over #1WR's scares me to death beause Cason doesn't bump and play as physical at the LOS as Jammer does which can throw those guys off enough for a good, well-crafted pass-rush to get to a QB or force him in a position where he has to look elsewhere than his top option.

Also, roleplayers aren't a bad thing... in fact, they're pretty necessary. No team is ever going to have a stud at every single position unless they hit homeruns on 90% of their draft picks year after year. Our problem is that we have the roleplayers playing in the wrong spots.

26. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    When he said "high priced WR" I don't think he was talking about Buster.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Fans playing with their Junior GM playsets is always amusing...... #imjustsaying ;)

28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    ILB, RT, FB, RB, #3 WR, DE, are all great places for role players. Sadly this is where some of our biggest investments are.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Actually, the BUCK ILB in a 3-4 shouldn't be a roleplayer as it's the 2nd most important LB in the 3-4 scheme next to the premier pass-rushing OLB. The TED/MIKE ILB is the one it's perfectly fine to have a roleplayer at (as evident by that example of the Steelers defense you wanted to bring up with them being willing to commit a large sum of money to Lawrence Timmons, similarly Green Bay with Desmond Bishop, the Phins with Dansby).

Hester's on Norv, since he was the one who apparently fought so hard for him, though he was drafted - I believe - with the intention of being used more in a Novacek-type role as an H-Back, power-runner in addition to a blocker. We overpayed, yes, and that's on both AJ and Norv... and I include in the knee-jerk fans who were acting like it was the end of the world that we "let Turner go" to free agency.

RT is becoming less and less of a roleplayer position (not necessarily one that I'd justify spending a 1st round pick on unless the guy also projected as an LT down the line), because of the necessity to have a RT that can pass-block against all types of pass-rushers as opposed to the old days when he was typically having to face the power-rushers and otherwise just clear out running-lanes.

And... I do take a bit of an issue with you arguing in one thread that we should have drafted Richard Seymour over Tomlinson, but then in this thread turning around and making the blanket statement that DE is more of a roleplayer position. You don't spend the #2 overall pick on a roleplayer.

• Like Like x 1
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I got one bone to pick. How can you blame Cason for not playing physical at the LOS, when he never lines up there? He's was 10yds off because its where Manusky told him to play. 2010 was a different story because Ron Rivera knew how to use the talent he had.

Everything else you just said, is why I would pull the trigger on Kirkpatrick if he falls to us. Jammer is a mediocre 33yr old CB, I'm fine with cutting him and finding a mediocre 23yr old CB with upside for 1/4 the price.