1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Cap space

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Mar 6, 2014.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I found this, i am curious how accurate it is:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/cap-hit/

Says we have $4,906,336 available with $13,408,316 in dead money.

Doesn't look like it yet shows the Royal restructure, or at least I hope he isn't still costing us $6mil in cap space

2. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
  3. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Putting any personal emotioin aside (Malcom Floyd), if we cut Clary, Floyd, English, Mouton, Keiser, we save approximately 14.2 mil in CAP. Added to current of approx. 5 mil that comes up to around $19 mil in cap money. This doesen't include a possible restructure of Gates and V. Brown's contracts. We could easily be looking at over $20 mil for 2014.

4. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Not sure where you're getting those numbers. Even assuming Floyd is a June 1 cut (he costs us more to cut than to keep right now) cutting those five only saves about $9 million. Now add back in $2 million, because you have to replace those five with minimum salary players, and we're only at $7 million in additional savings. That gets us to about $12 million in cap space. That sounds good, but don't forget that 19 other teams have at least that much cap space right now, and most of them could make similar cuts to add even more. Also remember that we have to spend about $5 million to sign our rookie class.

We'll certainly have enough to make a couple of small moves, and cutting Freeney and/or Johnson opens up things even more, but with so much cap space league wide we aren't going to be competitive for top free agents without backloading deals in a way that probably doesn't represent the smartest long term thinking.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    With a current cap # of $5.77M, I restructured Royal's base salary of $4.5M to $1.5M, being able to receive $3M in incentives, and restructuring Clary's deal from $4.5M base salary to the veteran minimum, along with keeping his bonus of $1.7M and getting his cap hit to roughly $2.6M.

Then move some of Weddle's money into next year as well, and cutting English (his contract has been voided don't know why he is back on our roster on overthecap.com) we have about $15M in cap space. $5M aside for the draft, and we have about $9M to play with, leaving a security blanket of $1-2M for emergencies.

Still have a cap # of $49M in 2015.

6. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Also remember that those are based on 2013 cap figures, the cap will be 10 million higher this year which means once free agency starts next week we will have 10 million more to play with.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    It's already been added, look at the overthecap.com link.

8. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    That's a pretty significant paycut. The only way to keep incentives from counting toward the cap is to put them in the "unlikely to be earned" category, which means things he was unable to do last year. Given that Royal played in most of the games and had a decent season we'd have to put those incentive targets pretty high to keep them out of the "likely to be earned" bucket and therefore off the cap. I'm not sure Royal would go for it if he only gets $1.5 million for having the same season as he had last year, but I hope you're right.

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I believe Royals restructure is @ 1.75 base salary and another 1.75 bonus all of which is guaranteed, with another incentive bonus of 500k which could be earned if he catches at least 50 receptions, and @ another million in other performance incentives.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    John Gennaro from Bolts from the blue said something that does make a ton of sense, we can go after bigger named free agents this year because next year we'll have @ 40 million in cap room, meaning the first year we can sign the to a lower base salary with a signing bonus, then they can get there full base salary next year when we have more money.

11. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    We won't have nearly that much after we sign 2014 free agents, make 2014 draft picks, and leave some room for the 2015 draft class. We already pushed a bunch of Butler's cap hit to 2015.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    What will make the difference is guys like Johnson, Floyd, and possibly even Gates coming off the cap if we decide they're not worth it. Also Royal will either walk away or re-sign cheap. That could turn $25-30M in to $50M fast. And not that we would need to, but we could also re-structure/extend Weddle and Rivers in the final year's of their deal if we really wanted to spend.

We will have cap aplenty next year, but I'd like to see us add some talent NOW, not just play for the future.

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Don't forget we have to lock up Liuget, who will probably command close to $6-7M per. Also, Mathews if he has another big year.

All depends how well we draft this year. If we get players that can develop and be ready to step into a starting role next year to replace some of these guys and get younger we'll do that via draft or spend a good amount in FA.

Still have Rivers to lock up if he has another ridiculous year as well.

14. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    We'd all like to see us add talent now. The key is going to be whether or not we can make quality draft picks and develop our existing young players so that we don't have to stock the team with average veterans who make a lot of money.

Partially scooped by SuperCharger92.

ETA: My concern with pushing money into the future to help us win now is twofold. First, we aren't good enough to be making an all-in push. We're good, but not that good. Second, pushing money into the future is why a significant portion of our cap space for 2014 is going to players like Robert Meachem, Jared Gaither, and Derek Cox.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    You can only blame Cox on the new regime. What AJ left behind is what it is. I think we'll manage. Will we have a SB this year? Not so bold as to make that claim. Within 2-3? Damn good chance I'd say. Hopefully I'll still be alive. ;)

16. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    I'm not blaming Meachem and Gaither on the new regime. I'm saying free agents often don't work out. Hell, even extending your own guys doesn't always work out. If you're right that we have a good chance for a Super Bowl in 2-3 years, but probably not this year, then why put all our eggs in the 2014 basket? I think we agree on the long term outlook, which is why I don't want to see us get overextend ourselves this offseason.

17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Then I misunderstood your original post. I don't want us to over extend this year either. We'll have much more to play with next year. This year we need to draft well, perhaps make a couple of reasonably priced FA signings. Deep draft class in some positions of need so the FO can do some good work this year.

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    TT is taking approach I very much like. It's called re-signing your own players. He made Butler a priority this year, he is a core piece of this defense and dubbed a leader. You know what your getting out of your own developed young players, you don't know what your getting in FA unless you drafted the guy and you've seen him work behind the scenes.

Liuget, Reyes, Mathews, etc. There will be a good amount of decisions that will need to be made next year with all that cap room.

I'm not in the win-now mode. I'm in the let's compete-now mode. Our 2014 schedule is something else, and we'll need some veteran leadership and toughness in some of these games. I'm hoping we can make a few nice vet signings to supplement the draft.

I hate the idea of pushing money into the future. Telesco doesn't seem to like it either with all the 1 and 2 year deals he gave out last year.

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    In addition to us having a ton of big contracts off the books, Gates, Hardwick, Clary, Freeney, Gaither, Meachem

The Cap room will spike up to about 140 next year and in between 150 to 160 in 2016. Im not thinking we will go all out on a shopping spree like you see the Cowboys and Redskins do time and time again, but if we wanted a Paul Soliai, Phil Costa, John Asomoah, and Sam Shields type of player, if written cleverly we could sign them this year because we can afford them next year

The positions I'd like us to attack in Free agency in NT, OG, and Center, everything else can come in the draft.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd rather grab a vet WR and also draft one on Day 2 or 3 and sign a NT, DE, and a solid backup ILB because we struggled when Te'o and Butler missed time.

The way our offensive staff has developed some of our guys on offense gives me more faith in them drafting players of need there. The development on the defensive side of the ball scares me, unless your getting an elite talent like Verrett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    This doesn't really jive with your desire to spend a lot of our cap space on Steve Smith, but it's an interesting point about which side to focus on in free agency vs. the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Well I believe we should get 2 OL in this draft. Next year Dunlap, Hardwick, and Clary are all most likely gone. We have Becton as a 'project' at the moment, give Joe D some of these young, hungry, physical OL to work with, let them sit behind some veterans this year and be ready to start next year.

Now, that doesn't mean we shouldn't sign anybody in FA on the offensive side of the ball. I'm lobbying for Steve Smith because he just makes too much sense in SD at the moment and the offense we want to run. Knows McCoy very well as they were apart of that Super Bowl run together, and Fred Graves our WR coach was his WR coach over at Utah.

The defensive side of the ball need more NFL-ready players, whether through FA or players with similar experience in our defensive scheme in this draft. Pagano just sticks to his scheme and doesn't alter it much for his players, like the offensive side of the ball does. As we saw and I'm sure Telesco saw when he brought in Derek Cox thinking Pagano would scheme to his strengths.

23. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Micheal Gehlkin just messaged me on Twitter. He said he believes were saving a million in cap with the Royal restructure. Says he's working on confirming it. So that's be a 5M cap hit instead of 6M. Doesn't seem like much...

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    He needs to get back to returning kicks this year.

25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Do you think he worded it wrong, he said on the Darin Smith show that it'll be @ 3 with incentives to potentially make make a full 5 or 6

26. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    No.

I asked how much cap space was created because of Royal's restructure.

His exact words were.
    "I believe $1 million but haven't confirmed it yet"

Maybe on D Smiths show he was reffering to his base salary, which is not the cap hit.

27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    From what I've read/researched I believe this is correct.

28. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Royal's salary is 4.5 million. His prorated bonus is 1.5 million. We're on the hook for his prorated bonus regardless of whether he plays for us this year or not. So the question is how much less than $4.5 million could we get him to take. I figured with the way veteran free agents get squeezed these days we could get him down to $2-3 million, but it sounds like we compromised at $3.5 million. Makes sense that we didn't want to play hardball with a guy we knew we wanted to keep.