1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cardinals RB Andre Ellington out for the opener

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Allegedly....

Andre Ellington could miss “extended period of time” with foot injury
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on September 5, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

The Cardinals’ bad run of personnel luck could be continuing.

According to Mike Jurecki of Fox Sports 910 in Phoenix, tailback Andre Ellington could be out an “extended period of time” after suffering a foot injury in practice on Thursday.

Jurecki reports Ellington has undergone an MRI on the foot.

The 25-year-old Ellington is expected to be the Cardinals’ featured back this season. A second-year pro from Clemson, Ellington rushed for 652 yards and three TDs on 118 carries and caught 39 passes for 371 yards and one TD in 2013.

Former Steelers tailback Jonathan Dwyer is the top backup to Ellington. Dwyer, 25, has made six career starts, all in 2012. Overall, he’s racked up 971 yards and two TDs on 230 carries since entering the NFL in 2010.

The injury to Ellington is the first potentially significant hit to the Cardinals’ offense. On defense, the club has lost defensive tackle Darnell Dockett (ACL tear) and linebacker Daryl Washington (suspension) for the season.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Also Tyrann Mathieu not being 100% despite being cleared. He hasn't played all pre-season and I believe it's been his first week of physical activity in practice.

Chargers are catching the Cardinals at the right time. This team was 11-5 last year and beat the Seahawks in Seattle last year. Their a tested squad. Unfortunately Dockett, Washington and Mathieu were big reasons why they were a very good defense. And on offense, Ellington was/is going to have a huge year catching and running the ball out of the backfield.

It's always tough to go on the road and win, but with 4 key players out for Arizona, San Diego should squeak by.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
  4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I think we might just blow them out. We're rolling and find them in the worst(best?) time of their season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I hope so, but we have such a bad knack for playing down to the level of our opponents. Especially early in the season.

6. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    The season opener last year was a good example of that, but hopefully we’ve gotten that out of our system, especially after the Tennessee, Oakland & Washington debacles.

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Start rolling those trucks out to Phx...

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Ellington's status now "questionable".

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    And so is Gates.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Antonio Gates '50-50' to play Monday
    Chargers tight end appears on injury report with hamstring injury after Saturday practice

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    ****, that evens the playing field quite a bit if Gates can't make it. TE is the one place where I was expecting to see us expose them.

12. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Yeah, but we have a Green...

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    That maybe true but it could be a blessing in disguise. Why push Gates out there injured when we can save him for the latter part of the year. I think Green getting reps against a excellent defense in Arz will test him right out of the gate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'm ok with this. Time for Green to make an impact.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Gatesey, is a McCoy decoy, he's already pulling out the psychological shell game.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Andre Ellington's injury is to his peroneus longus.
    It's a muscle that helps flex the ankle and Ellington has a little tear in it, per Jay Glazer. FOX Sports 910's Mike Jurecki is hearing that Ellington has two options now that doctors have decided against surgery. He can either put a boot on for 2-3 weeks to strengthen the muscle before returning, or he can simply try to gut it out and play in a limited capacity Monday night. Owners should be hoping Ellington chooses the rest path, but we won't know until about 90 minutes before gametime tomorrow.
    Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter Sep 7 - 7:40 PM

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Why risk making it worse, and losing a guy for an extended period? That gutting it out business doesn't work so well for speed players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
  19. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm guessing he'll wrap it and roll with it. Either way he'll be a nonfactor.

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I know, and I think it would be incredibly short sighted by Bruce Arians to even activate him tomorrow. But pressure to make the playoffs while they still have Fitz and Palmer under contract, while in the toughest division in the NFL, and they can't afford to sacrifice any home games.......I could see him caving.

I think Arizona is going to be tight tomorrow, all the pressure is on them with Seattle and San Francisco looking so good. AFC is definitely weaker.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It's still hard to judge how good that 49ers offense is....... they didn't have to do much of anything today. Playing the Cowboys these days is like getting a bye week with a victory included. ;)

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Dallas is horrendous, possibly the worst team in the league this year. But SF has been to 2 NFC Championships and 1 Super Bowl in the last 3 years. I'll believe the downfall when I actually see it start.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Not a downfall, but their offense looked like :poop: in the preseason, and I still haven't seen it do anything. The jury is still out on that side of the ball.

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I guess. I don't put much stock in pre-season, I go in telling myself "none of this matters", and it makes it easier to watch.

Point is Arizona is going to have an inferiority complex after winning 10 games last year and not making the playoffs. They have more to lose tomorrow, and will probably come out trying to force it. We need to get in Palmer's face immediately, the guy's passer rating drops to 40.8 when forced to move in the slightest.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yep, Chargers do much better against non-mobile QBs.

26. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Maybe it's because the Chargers D practices all week long against a very statuesque QB. Just a wild guess ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    There's that, and they've never even bothered to get a mobile QB for their practice squad, to at least give them someone to prepare for those teams that do. That's odd to me, especially when we play teams like Seattle and San Francisco this season.

28. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I thought that Sorenson was supposed to be that guy, but he seemingly couldn't complete his passes. How about that kid who we poached from the Cards? Can he run and shoot?

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Lindley's not a statue, but his no track star either. I just don't know how you're supposed to prepare for something that you can't actually simulate in practice.

30. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Well, I'll worry about that for next Sunday. For today, I'm going to salivate when the pass rushers + Cory get to Carson Palmer. Also, I'd love to see Scared-Cro getting burned by Keenan & MF80 :tup: