1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Mauck never got a fair shake from Bolts

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Jan 20, 2006.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/01/20/sports/scholfield/22_07_031_19_06.txt" target="_blank">North County Times</a>

I'm sorry the Chargers fired offensive line coach Carl Mauck, a good guy caught in an impossible situation.

First, he had to take over the job from the John Wooden of line coaches, Hudson Houck. The Chargers didn't deem Houck worth a nearly $3 million, three-year contract Miami offered him and let him go to the Dolphins.

Houck is considered the premier offensive line coach in the league, a man who should end up in the Hall of Fame. No matter what Mauck did, it wasn't going to be as good as Houck.

Secondly, management didn't help Mauck by short-changing him on talent, particularly after trading offensive guard Toniu Fonoti to Minnesota. Also injuries forced steady veteran tackle Roman Oben to miss half the season.

Guard Kris Dielman and veteran Mike Goff were capable replacements, but Mauck didn't get much out of rookies Scott Mruczkowski and Wes Sims. In 2004, Houck turned center Nick Hardwick and right tackle Shane Olivea, both rookies, into productive starters.

Thirdly, the club didn't do what it was supposed to do during crunch time ---- run the ball.

In six of the club's seven losses, the opposition gained more rushing yards than the Chargers. And in six of the seven losses, the Chargers did not rush for 100 yards even though they have the finest running back in the league, LaDainian Tomlinson.

It was clear that a change had to be made, and the Chargers pointed their collective fingers at Mauck.

General manager A.J. Smith could have solved this problem a year ago by signing Houck to a long-term deal because Houck wanted to stay.

+ I'm glad Chargers assistant coach and Hall of Fame receiver James Lofton has interviewed for head coaching positions in Oakland and Buffalo.

Lofton probably won't get either job, but he bears watching in the future. He has the knowledge and the charisma to be an outstanding head coach either in the NFL or in the college ranks.

+ Padres general manager Kevin Towers is big on guys with character. I was surprised recently when he said the club lacked sufficient character a year ago.

"We have added some great character guys, something we really lacked," Towers said of his '05 team. "We had some shared leadership last year at times from (Dave) Roberts, (Mark) Loretta and others, but it was something we really lacked. I have heard nothing but good things about Mike Cameron; he's a good guy to have in the locker room."

Cameron is the team's new center fielder, having come to San Diego in a trade that sent Xavier Nady to the Mets.

Towers is pleased that many of the new additions are proven winners, citing third baseman Vinny Castilla, catcher Doug Mirabelli and second baseman Mark Bellhorn.

"Castilla, Mirabelli and Bellhorn have been on championship ballclubs before and know how to win. I like the climate of the team."

+ I still think the Padres need help at catching.

Two-time Gold Glover Bengie Molina is still waiting for someone to give him a contract.

Hint, hint.

Molina, 31, hit .295 with 15 homers and had 121 hits in 119 games for the Angels last season. However, Towers indicated that there is not money in the budget for Molina.

Steve Scholfield is senior sports columnist for the North County Times. He can be reached at (760) 740-3509 or stevescho@cox.net. To comment, go to nctimes.com.