1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Peterson: Larry Johnson is no LaDainian Tomlinson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by WonderSlug, Jul 28, 2007.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I don't know if you guys saw NFL Network's Total Access yesterday, but they showed a statement from KC Chiefs GM Carl Peterson in which he said the following (paraphrasing):

Larry Johnson wants LaDainian Tomlinson type money, but he's not LaDainian Tomlinson. Larry's not as complete a back as LaDainian. He's good, and may be as good as LaDainian one day, but not right now. LaDainian is a huge threat in the run, catch, and pass. Larry may reach that level one day. So, in conclusion, Larry Johnson is seeking LaDainian Tomlinson level money. He won't get that from us.

If I can find the exact quote/statement, I'll post it, with link.

2. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Someone had to say it...

3. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

I heard that line too. SCHNAP!:icon_rofl:

L.J. better suck it up if he wants to salvage anything out of this. He's just looking like an idiot right now.:tdown:

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    LJ 100% deserves a new deal imo, based on the workload alone. There is no way that his career will be a long one if they abuse the guy with 400+ carries every year. He deserves to get paid.

• Like Like x 1
  5. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Like it or not, LaDainian signed the contract a few years ago when the average contract was less. It should be a comparable for Johnson because there are no other backs even remotely close to those two. There is a distinct difference between LT and LJ. He should be paid less than LT; but not significantly less.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You're absolutely right. LJ deserves a new deal. But he does not deserve as much cash as LT. And that's what Petersen's issue is. I don't think they have any problem extending LJ. They just want him to be more reasonable in his demands.

If LJ were more of a team player, I don't think the Chiefs would have a problem paying him what he's asking. But he's a selfish, whiney douche. So they are hesistant to give him a fat contract.

• Like Like x 1
  7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    yeah i watched that several times last night thanks to tivo, way to put lj in his place.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    betcha LJ will ahve one HELL of a hissy fit

• Like Like x 1
  9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    LT signed an 8 year $60 million deal with $21 million guaranteed, back in 2004.

The 2007 franchise tag number for RBs is $7 million.

If LJ thinks about it, he should just allow Peterson to franchise tag him every year for 8 years. He'll get that $60 million as the franchise tag number will gradually escalate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Maybe he can't, he's been banging his head on that brick wall too many times!

• Like Like x 1
  11. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Nails:yes: :icon_toast:

12. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'd pay good money to watch that! :icon_toast:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He won't last that long.

:icon_rofl:

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Larry boy seems to think so. :icon_tease:

15. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I heard on 1090 during an interview with John Lynch that you can only Franchise Tag a player two years in a row.

16. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Then how was Seattle's Walter Jones franchise-tagged 3 years in a row?

That might be a new CBA modification, dropping down the number of consecutive times a team can franchise a player.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The new CBA states first 2 times you get franchised you get the average of the top 5 highest paid players at that position, if you're franchised the 3rd time then you get the average of the top 5 highest paid players in the NFL.

18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Well LJ isn't that stupid. The point of a long term contract is security. If LJ gets hurt next season, that's it he won't earn that big money anymore.

Plus what's stopping the Chiefs from running him into the ground? They have no long term investment in him so what do they care.

I don't think LJ is being unreasonable.

I mean LT's deal was signed before the cap increase.

LT's contract is equal to someone signing a contract now for 8 years $76.5 million with a $26.6 Signing bonus, when you account for the percentage of the cap the contract takes up.

So if all LJ wanted was 8 years for $60 million that would of been the equivalent of signing a 8 year, $47 million contract with a $16.5 million bonus.

But it really depends on what he's asking for if he's asking for a 8 year $60 million deal that isn't that unreasonable considering the significant cap increase.

19. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I think Carl has been reading the various Chargers forums... How many times have Charger fans pointed out that LJ is good but he is no LT?... DOH! :tup:

20. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Don't underestimate his stupidity, He's dumber than Vick and Vick thinks his # is "L"

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What Larry Boy thinks is where he and the team part company. Larry Boy gets knocked around a lot more that LT.

:icon_tease:

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    All I want to know is, is LJ as good as LT????? thats all.:bolt:

23. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    He's better then LT, ask anyone in his posse. :icon_rofl:

Oh this going to be fun to watch. :yes: Almost as much fun as watching the NYC press torch Eli.

24. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

I have the feeling that if this doesn't get resolved quickly and amicably, it's going to be an extremely poisonous affair.

25. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    As I think about this more, I feel that the main thing LJ is after is guaranteed money, not overall contract value.

Thus, instead of say, 8 years $60 million with $21 million guaranteed (LT's contract in 2004), Larry may take 6 years $40 million, with $20 million guaranteed.

The guaranteed monies are almost the same, even though the overall contract value and years is less than LT.