1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Carlos Polk signed by Dallas for depth in special teams with old coach

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by megold0715, Oct 16, 2008.

1. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    RVING, Texas - With injuries affecting all aspects of special teams this week - coverage and returns - the Cowboys signed veteran linebacker Carlos Polk, who had double-digit special teams tackles in four of his seven seasons with the San Diego Chargers.

To make room for Polk, the Cowboys placed wide receiver Sam Hurd (ankle surgery) on injured reserve, ending his season. Hurd finished sixth on the team with 15 special teams tackles last year.

Polk also should provide depth at outside linebacker with Anthony Spencer (hamstring), another key special teams player, unlikely to play Sunday at St. Louis.

"It's great coming to something that you're familiar to," said Polk, who played for Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips' defense in San Diego from 2004-06. "They have the same schedule, same terminology. When they start speaking, you know the lingo already."

Polk's primary role will be special teams. The unit's leading tackle, Kevin Burnett, missed practice again Thursday with a calf injury, and special teams captain Keith Davis was limited again because of a thumb laceration that required stitches. He's expected to play.

On defense, Phillips said Bobby Carpenter would replace Burnett in substitution packages if he couldn't play.

Released by the Chargers at the end of preseason, Polk has been training in San Diego and waiting on phone calls from interested teams. The Cowboys happened to have a need at linebacker and special teams.

"He's a Keith Davis type guy as far as I'm concerned," Phillips said. "He's a special teams guy that can play defense, play linebacker, play all the positions at linebacker."

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sounds like a good match.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Glad Polk got signed. He always played hard and was a beast on ST.

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Good for him... :tup:

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I#m really happy for Carlos, but I don't wanna Cowboys in the Superbowl.

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    WTG Carlos!! :tup: :icon_toast:

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    Rad! So glad to hear he got signed somewhere :)

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hate the Cowgirls but I'm glad for Polk.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Phillips sucks as an HC, his guy's get injured because they aren't prepared or trained right!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1