1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Carlos Polk

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LittleTrain, Aug 13, 2007.

1. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Can we finally cut his stupid ***?

Anyone that adopts him should be given 10,000 in bolt cash.

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Why the hating? :tdown:

3. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    1. Limited ability
    2. unlimited ego
    3. never going to be more than a backup. He's reached his ceiling and its low
    4. A veteran celebrating a tackle on 6 yard gain in the second half of a preseason game with a Seau-like dance is just embarrassing.

4. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    He is built like an ILB, but lacks the instincts. He is built all wrong for OLB in our D. He is too short, gets wired to blocks and cannot disengage at all. He needs to see things happen before he can react. He is only around because he is a solid special teamer. But he offsets that with some boneheaded offsides penalties.

The thing that helps his case is that all of our LB where pretty much invisible last night. Dobbins and Waters showed good range and moved well, but didn't make any plays.

Hopefully we can get someone off the waiver wire to finally replace him at OLB.

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    He waddles when he walks. :)

But AJ Smith loves this guy. He's a special teams demon and brings quality depth in a pinch.

Don't expect him to be let go anytime soon.

Oldie Out

• Like Like x 1
  6. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    The only thing good I ever hear about Polk is he's a good special teams player. Even given that, any decent, young, developmental LBer should be a good special teams player and have a better upside.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Carlos Polk kicks puppies and hates sunsets. :unsure:

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I wasn't to happy about his big celebration after a hit he made. Yeah he made a good hit, but it was after a pretty good gain for Seattle. No reason to celebrate and strut around like fool.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I do like his play on special teams and considering how bad they've been we don't wanna give up too many of our good ST players.

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Kinda like if Donna celebrated after one of his tackles?

11. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    If we ARE a deep team, special teams shouldn't be a problem. Keeping one aging, limited player just for special teams doesn't make sense. Who was the special teams pro Bowler we cut the following year? we didn't seem to worried about it there.

Like I said, ANY good LBer prospect is going to be good on special teams....probably BETTER than Polk.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

I COMPLETELY agree with you on this one!!! All he did well yesterday was showboat. I thought he was a Marty favorite? Anyways, if Waters or Siler show any improvements to their ST play, I see them taking Polks slot!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    So you want Osgood gone as well? He's even more one dimensional than Polk.

14. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I don't view Osgood as being one dimensional. Being a gunner in the NFL is way more difficult than what Polk does lining up on the line during punts.

15. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    What other dimension does he posses other than his being a ST's standout. Polk got considerable time on defense last year and it's apparent the coaches are confortable with him in there. The same cannot be said about Osgood.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Siler can have his spot on special teams and he has a lot more upside and way more career potential. Carlos Polk has always been talked about in terms of potential and special teams, but he's been hurt a lot and hasn't developed the way people hoped. Time to say good bye.

17. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Polk is a ST stud!

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was irritated with Polk's antics.

19. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Osgood is in his 5th year in the league and has a little more potential than Polk, but yeah is he's a backup for much longer with no chance of pushing the starters then by all means cut him. You can find special teams players all over.

Polk got playing time on defense last year only because the LBers were hurt or suspended or shot. Otherwise he would have never touched the field with the regular defense. Using that playing time to say the coaches are comfortable with him playing is a stretch.

20. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

Osgood has no potential as a WR.

21. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    true...true....

Anyone wanna bet me Polk won't make the squad this year?

22. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Polk is Merriman's backup, when Shawne goes out than Carlos goes in. It's not like he's buried down the depth chart. He had 45 tackles and 2 sacks last season which is better than Wilhelm and Dobbins combined.

The Chargers have so much confidence in Osgood as a WR's that last season after injuries to Malcolm and Keenan they activated Camarillo and signed Az-Zahir Hakim off the scrap heap and put them in the game ahead of Osgood. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  23. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Drafting Legoland and CDavis is the writing on the wall.

• Like Like x 1
  24. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    If he's such a stud, why wasn't he a pro bowler? I don't see Polk downing the ball inside the 5 but I do see Osgood making an occassional tackle.

25. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    With McCardell no longer with the team and Parker out 2 months, the writing isn't as clear considering Osgood is our senior wideout. Jackson being our #1 is only entering his 3rd year.

The writing however is much clearer for Polk with the drafting of Waters and Silers.

26. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Different but equally important jobs. Polks job on Kick-offs is to blow up the wedge, so others can make the tackle. On punts he is one of the last to release.

Using your logic you could conclude that Donnie Edwards was more valuable that Jamal, since Donnie made a lot more tackles.

27. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

Polk = OLB
    Waters & Silers = ILB.

Both were drafted to replace Edwards and Godfrey (head count wise) who are now both gone.

Osgood isn't even considered a WR by the Chargers that much is clear.

• Like Like x 1
  28. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Polk's isn't the only one on the team with that talent. Hell, Hank Bauer was good at doing that only because he was crazy enough to run as fast as he can and throw his body as hard as he can into the wedge. Osgood however can use his size to free himself from smaller CBs who usually lines up to cover the gunners.

29. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

Damm homie... Welcome your boy to grade school. :icon_party:

• Like Like x 1
  30. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I don't understand why ripping Osgood is such a key to you guys wanting to keep Polk? It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they cut both of them.

Polk gets more attention from me because:
    1) he's two years older
    2) he has less upside
    3) he acts a fool when he makes a tackle after a pretty good gain