1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CARROLL-TO-CHARGERS COMING?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chavez, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I really can't see this happening. no way AJ will be asked to leave or take a back seat.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CARROLL-TO-CHARGERS COMING?
    We've gotten an uncorroborated tip from one of our friends in the media regarding the possibility that the San Diego Chargers will immediately target USC coach Pete Carroll if, as has been reported, Marty Schottenheimer is fired on Monday.

The talk is that Carroll would want control over the football operations, which means that G.M. A.J. Smith would have to take a back seat.

But we think, frankly, that the Chargers should take it one step farther and send Smith out the door with Schottenheimer. Smith has done a decent job of acquiring talent, but in a quest to build a winner Smith has picked up more than his share of losers, as evidenced by the string of arrests and other embarrassments this season.

There's also a rumor that Carroll wants $7 million per year to make the jump to the NFL from USC, and that if the move is made it will happen "real quick."

But keep this in mind. Under the Rooney Rule, it can't happen as fast as Carroll or the Chargers might like. Instead, the Spanoseses must interview at least one minority candidate before hiring Carroll. And if the available minority candidates believe that Carroll is getting the job, it might be hard to convince one or more of them to sit for the job.

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Carroll was 33-31 as a NFL head coach. I know he made it to the playoff a few times with the Patriots but he just seems to be a better fit for college ..

Besides, he has a sweet gig at USC .. I don't think he really wants to leave.

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I really don't like him as an NFL coach. AJ take a back seat? Yeah right. PFT is all junk.

4. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

:lol: Ain't gonna happen.... AJ will take a back seat to no one!!! :lol: If Carroll doesn't know that by now, he shouldn't even consider a coaching job here...

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I wouldn't want AJ to take a bad seat to anyone

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Me neither and I like PFT.

They have a good sense of humor when they eff up a story but they do get hot leads about the NFL happenings.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    That is about the lowest form of a "source" as you'll ever see.

This is a non-story.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Hes also coached a team to the super bowl

Dont forget, that was his first shot as a head coach, most people arent perfect right away

Hell look at Belicheck, he was horrible his first time as a coach with cleveland

I would love to have Carroll as our HC as long as it doesnt that anything away from AJs job

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    yeah... and let me add...
    :icon_shrug:

:unsure:

:blink:

:huh:

:icon_confused:

• Like Like x 1
  10. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Sorry, i dont know why but i thought he was the HC when the pats went to the super bowl

Any ways, he still lead the pats to the playoffs 2 out of the 3 years he was HC and got won a playoff game

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    A.J. Smith would never let Caroll come to San Diego, he would want full control of the organization and thats not cool.

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I vote for Chuck Long.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

Pete Carroll sucked at the Patriots and ran back to college football before he got run out of the NFL.

14. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Why does everyone say he sucked as the Pats Head coach?

He was 27-21 in 3 years as the pats head coach, sure its not mindblowing, but its still pretty good

Also, not all great head coach are good right away. I mean how bad was Belicheck before going to the pats??
    He was 36-44 with only one year above .500

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Carroll is no answer.

In fact, he's a step backwards!!!!

16. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I hate Marty even more for putting our organization in this position.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    For the 15 billionth time

Pete's not leaving SC!!!

18. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I hope not!

19. gottago

gottago BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Pete Carroll to the Chargers? I don't see it as a good fit. for one, there are some coaches who belong in college and some who belong in the pros. pete carroll seems to have found his niche in the college ranks. he's tried the pros already with average success. He's not a good fit for the bolts..........in my opinion.

20. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    For one Dennis Green really hasnt been successful anywhere, please answer this if we hire Dennis Green would we be making a move in the same direction...You are all b!tching about the lack of playoff success for Marty right? Well how many super bowls has Dennis Green won?? How many Super bowls have Pete Carroll won? If you are going to hire a coach to succeed a man who went 14-2 this year you will have to pony up alot of dough! And if you are going to get a college head coach the only one that strikes me is Urban Meyer! All this guy has done is win, everywhere he has been won a BCS game with UTAH, won a National title with Florida whos team was given no chance to beat Ohio St by the way and not only did they beat them they whipped their ***!! Truth is, their really isnt anyone better than Marty out there right now unless you are going to go after Norm Chow, Urban Meyer! Norm Chow is not going anywhere if he is not the head coach, and Urban Meyer isnt going anywhere either cause he just won a National title and has a rather long contract with Florida! Aj has made alot of great decisions with this organization, however unless he gets one of those two getting rid of marty would be a big mistake!