1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cason having issues

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 31, 2010.

?

Grade Casons first 8 starts

Poll closed Nov 6, 2010.
  1. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B

63.6%
  3. C

31.8%
  4. D

4.5%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Just today vs the Titans...

1. The bomb to Britt in the 1st quarter. Cason got lucky he wasn't called for defensive holding, and extremely lucky Britt didn't catch the bomb and score easily.
    2. The broken coverage where Nate Washington scored a 70yd TD.
    3. The play on the final drive where he let Washington release wide open, and Kerry Collins just missed him.
    4. Not to mention 3 or 4 other 15-30yd plays where the Titans picked us apart....not all his fault.

But it begs the question...is this a coaching issue? A scheme issue? Or a player issue? Because Cromartie had a lot of the same problems, complained openly about the scheme, and is now doing a lot better in New York playing more man coverage.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    You have to cite more than just this one game if you're going to ask the general question of if he sucks.

Otherwise you either have to cite poor coverage in other games or change the question to "did Cason suck against Tennessee?".

Not taking a stance on either side of the issue of the general question, he could have simply had a bad game. Even Tomlinson had a few of those and he's a hall of famer.

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Fair enough, I changed the title of the thread.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I thought he has played well, there were clearly special team breakdowns but I think he did fine and made one very nice diving play to swat a completion away

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

Ohh...you must have fallen victim to the blackout. :lol:

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Cason is becoming an easy mark for opposing QB's.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Corners are going to have bad games. Teams will avoid Jammer if they are smart. Cason is relatively young at his position starting this year. I give him some slack until the year is out and then another year to get settled into his role. Corners need 4 years minimum and the dude has been on the bench or in nickle duty since we drafted him 3 years ago (I forget - anyway). The long bomb was a blown coverage obviously (unless you are Conc who says that is by design) - anyway - .... My concern is still the lines. There was no pressure at all on VYoung for the most part. That falls on the front 7 especially the front 3.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Well, the matter with the DL really is a question of what kind of 3-4 is Rivera running here? I see some 1-gap looks, I see some 2-gap looks... the problem is those are two completely different looks and typically require linemen with diametrically different skill sets, unless you manage to acquire 3 perfect linemen (of which we have none to speak). Castillo isn't a 2-gap lineman, at least that's my opinion.

The difference for all this being that if Rivera is venturing into 2-gap 3-4 realms then the front three are doing their part - eating up blocks for the LB's to make the plays on the ball-carrier or the QB. If we're still gung ho 1-gap, then Garay is really the only one getting any kind of legitimate pressure and effectively stacking and shedding. Rivera wants to implement a ton of zone coverage schemes which is typically more indicative (or plays to the strengths of) 2-gap.

I need more tape.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Castillo is the only two gap lineman I have on my books or the only lineman with the quickness and technique to play two different gaps. That requires an exceptional athlete. Antonio Garay has shown me some sweet upside in the way he moves his feet and his speed. I think he can be coached up to play two gap and has the skill set. I am having a hard time even believing I am pimping someone other than Castillo who goes away in games to play more two gap. Having all linemen playing two gap assignments requires what the Patriots had in Seymore, Wilfolk and the other d-line dude I forget his name. These are basically first round type players needed to pull off a 2 gap d-line system. Ogee Nuabow or whatever his name is was hustling downfield on one tackle and showed speed for a fatboy which is a prerequiste to play two gap. It is one thing to have the feet to play two gap and another to CONTROL those gaps otherwise; you will get abused in the run game.

10. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Cason had an average game today, but he has filled the starting role exceptionally well so far this year. He will only get better with more playing time. He is a crucial part in our number 1 ranked pass defense

11. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I think Cason is doing a good job... All of this uncertainty by fans reminds me of the criticisms everyone had of Jammer early in his career. We need to let these guys have time to learn their position, and sometimes it takes a few seasons.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hopefully not that long. I would give him a C for the season so far, the loss to STL wasn't helped by his getting burned by a rookie UDFA Danario Alexander for a TD.

Dude needs to improve or he's gonna get picked on all season long.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I gave Cason a C as well. I think his ceiling has not been reached yet. He has room to improve and that is good versus being maxed out. Cason will get picked on more so than Jammer so this is something which comes with the territory.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The fact that we can't get to the opposing QB (again :mad:) probably has something to do with it.

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    This was the glaring deficiency on D in my opinion. The blown coverage was ugly, but QB pressure was absolutely non existent.