1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cason, Hester appear as advertised

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    One of the first questions Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner was asked Saturday night following his team’s 31-17 win over the Dallas Cowboys had to do with one of his rookies.

“He’s what we expected him to be,” Turner said.

Turner was specifically speaking of running back Jacob Hester, but he could have been talking about either of his top two draft picks after the performances turned in by Hester and first-round pick Antoine Cason in the Bolts’ preseason opener.

The scouting report on Hester coming out of LSU was that he was a hard-nosed runner who excelled in short-yardage situations. Saturday night, the Bolts’ third-round pick carried 13 times for 49 yards and two touchdowns. His scores came on runs of one and two yards, respectively.

Cason’s book read that he was a smart, tough, physical tackler with outstanding ball skills. The former Arizona Wildcat finished the night as the Chargers’ leading tackler with seven stops. His biggest play of the night came when he recognized an alignment, jumped a slant route and knocked the ball away on a 3rd-and-1 play to prevent a first down.

“It felt good,” Cason said. “There are some things I need to clean up, of course but I felt real good out there doing the assignments that were asked of me. What people expect of me, I want to back that up some more and keep coming out and doing those things.”

Hester had a “Welcome to the NFL” moment early in the game, which he believes helped him settle in and play his game.

“The very first guy I was blocking was Zach Thomas,” Hester said. “That guy has been to so many Pro Bowls. It felt good. Once you do that, nothing really worries you anymore. You’re taking on a Pro Bowler like that. It was a good experience.”

Another adjective regularly to use Hester is that he’s a “gamer.” While he’s pleased his coaches in practice, the bruising Hester knew that his opportunity to stand out would come once the pace and physicality increased.

“Practice, you go through it and you really can’t make contact and make good runs,” Hester said. “You don’t know what to expect when you get out here. Once you get out here and get the pads on, you really get a chance to show what you can do.”

Another word to describe Cason is prepared. He credits his individual work in the film room for helping him make the big play on the slant.

“That came from film study,” Cason said. “I kind of went in there on my own and watched some film. I saw that formation on 3rd-and-short. They had wide splits and he was wide so there wasn’t really too much he could do. I stayed patient and made the play.”

Both Cason and Hester showed a certain amount of poise in their Chargers debuts. Chargers safety Eric Weddle, who had an interception in his preseason debut a year ago, walked away impressed with Cason’s play.

“He did well,” Weddle said. “He showed up and played really well. He’s going to be a good player for us.”

But just like his coach, Weddle could have been talking about either of his team’s top two picks.

Chargers.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Nice read, Johnny!! :) :icon_toast:

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah, thanks Johnny!

Cason's 3rd & 1 swat was definitely the most impressive play of the game from any of our rookies. Great job of recognition, and more importantly, reacting at just the right time to make a great play.

:tup:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I thought that Cason & Hester gave us what we are looking for from them at this point in time & showed the promise of what can be. Cason showed some good body control & instincts, but did get juked on a couple of plays. Hester laid the wood to anyone he came into contact with & showed he has a nose for the end zone.

I was pretty damn pleased with our top 2 picks. :yes:

5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I thought Oliver seemed to have a fairly good game too:yes:

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Was it just me, or did it seem like Cason likes tackling high.

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    hmm.... well, everyone seemed to be going for the big hits instead of form tackling. when they all went for the big hit, we missed, and gave up huge yards, so it wasnt just cason, although i would rather see him NOT doing that from the beginning of his career, so that he doesnt turn into another fkn mccree.

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Cason is getting a lot of mentions in the paper and such because he was our first round pick, and he is going to be a real good player but Oliver also had a good game too and made some nice plays.

He will be forgotton to many but not to me. He was a stud at Georgia and i was real happy we got him. In time people will start to notice.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    just means we've got some awesome depth

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :tup:

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I thought so to...

12. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Frankly, I was impressed with several of our newbies last night---if this is even a hint of what we're going to look like this season, we are going to go
    ALL.
    THE.
    WAY.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    So true, and Oliver and CAson will get better and better. Nice.

14. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    August 10, 2008 6:41 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

It took Jacob Hester one preseason game to get San Diego Chargers' fans fired up.
    In a game in which the Chargers cleaned up the Dallas Cowboys, Hester stood out. Sure, there was a healthy Philip Rivers and strong play from first-round pick, cornerback Antoine Cason.
    However, it was the third-round pick who was the talk of the night. Hester, a tailback/fullback from LSU, ran and blocked his way to high praise Saturday night. Hester had 49 yards rushing on 13 carries and he had touchdown runs of 1 and 2 yards.
    Hester likely took the early lead over Darren Sproles in the chase to be the replacement for Michael Turner, now in Atlanta, to be LaDainian Tomlinson's top backup. Still, with Sproles' explosiveness, there will be run for both Hester, who is more of a power back, and Sproles behind Tomlinson.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I expect we'll be seeing Hester play fullback for both LT and Sproles, with their RB play determined often by down and distance. Hester put himself ahead of Pinnock for the starting fullback position. Tolbert was impressive in the action I saw. He hits a ton and he appears to be quicker than Pinnock, but he did drop his swing pass. Tolbert is a short stack, too, and it would be interesting to see both of them in a back field where the defense couldn't track either back very well. Misdirection plays would be highly entertaining.