1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cassel to Chiefs?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Feb 27, 2009.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Quiet On The Pats-KC Front; Could Mean Cassel's Involved
    Posted by Tom Curran: Friday, February 27, 2009 4:10 PM

It smells like there might be a lot more to the Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs deal than simply a benign "undisclosed" draft pick.

New England is locked up tight as a drum this afternoon. There is no conversation going out which is a sure harbinger that there are bigger dominoes wobbling.

My speculation? Since Vrabel is only in KC and his acquisition hasn't been officially declared, he is merely a sidebar in the deal. The holdup - and silence - is being caused by something else that's taking place and my guess is that the something else is negotiations between Matt Cassel's agent David Dunn and the Chiefs GM Scott Pioli.

Cassel, of course, is the franchised Patriots quarterback who's due to make $14.6 million this year if he stays with the Patriots. If New England deals Cassel, he comes off their books, clearing cap space.

And that has me thinking the undisclosed pick is the third overall pick in this draft.

So it may well be Cassel and Vrabel to the Chiefs for the third overall pick and - likely - another later round pick. The financial end of this is what makes it a solid deal for the Pats. Between Cassel and Vrabel, there's almost $20 million in cap space getting cleared. Vrabel would have been a free agent after this year so the Pats are going to get something for him they wouldn't have otherwise.

Wouldn't the Pats want to avoid the third overall pick and the money outlay for an unproven player that comes with it? Not necessarily. They will still win financially in 2009 even adding the third overall pick because of the money they clear with Vrabel and Cassel leaving. And they'll have a good player from that spot going forward (presumably).

So who replaces Vrabel? Hmmmm. The Patriots liked Jonathan Vilma coming out of Miami. He's on the market. And so is Ray Lewis. Would they be fits at outside linebacker where Vrabel played predominantly? It will be interesting to see. And to see if this goes down as I'm suspecting.
    http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/archives/2009/02/quiet-on-the-patskc-front-coul.html

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    When I saw the pats and chefs wanted to do a trade I thought it would be for cassel. Was surprised they wanted vrable.

3. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    CASSEL IS A CHIEF
    Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:56 PM
    Wow.

Less than a week ago, I opined at SportingNews.com that the Chiefs and the Patriots wouldn't be able to work out a trade for quarterback Matt Cassel because each side would be overly concerned about the perception that the other got the better side of the bargain.

So much for that.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the deal is done -- Cassel has been traded from the Patriots to the Chiefs.

The terms are not yet known.

It's easy to assume that the Chiefs gave up the No. 3 overall pick in the draft, but the Pats aren't the kind of team that would want to pay the kind of huge-money contract that the third overall slot commands.

That said, the Patriots could try to trade down from No. 3, continuing their practice of stockpiling draft picks and getting them at lower slots and thus cheaper contracts.

The move also means that the Patriots are confident that starter Tom Brady will be available for 2009. Or that 2008 third-rounder Kevin O'Connell (or O'Donnell, can't ever get it straight and too lazy to look it up) is ready to go in the event that Brady can't.

Once the trade goes through, the Pats will immediately clear $14.65 million from their 2009 cap space. Per Schefter, the trade is occurring without a new deal, which means that the Chiefs will have Cassel under contract for only one year at $14.65 million until a new deal is reached.

In many cases of this nature, the team trading a franchise player works out a new contract with a lower cap number before trading his rights. But since the Chiefs have more than enough room to carry Cassel's eight-figure one-year pay, there's no need to extend the deal before the trade goes through.

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Well we are seeing the AFC West starting to step up.

5. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    No. 3 Pick Not Involved in Cassel Deal
    Posted by Tom Curran: Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:21 PM

Turn my back for just a second and look what happens in here. Anyway, interrupting the PFT Invasion, I wanted to drop a nugget of info on the Cassel to KC deal. The Chiefs first round pick (No. 3 overall) is not part of this deal.

I'll have a more fleshed out story up on the site shortly.

Florio, back to you. Don't you people use coasters?!
    http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Patriots | Hold still... Cassel situation just got more complicated
    Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:30:21 -0800

Updating previous reports, Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports a third, undisclosed team has entered the picture surrounding QB Matt Cassel. The trade parameters are in place between the New England Patriots and Kansas City Chiefs, but it is not a definite yet that he is being shipped to Kansas City. Schefter says Cassel is being traded, to which team has yet to be determined.
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    SECOND-ROUND PICK FOR CASSEL
    Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:34 PM
    I previously was convinced that the Patriots wouldn't be able to work out a trade sending quarterback Matt Cassel to the Chiefs because I believed that new Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli and his former colleagues in New England feared the perception that one side got snookered.

There was no such fear, but it won't change the perception that one side got snookered.

Peter King of SI.com (who also does some work for NBC, and pretty much every other media company on the planet) reports that the Chiefs gave up only a second-round draft pick for Cassel.

Wow.

A second-round pick, for a guy who merited a $14.65 million, one-year contract based on his play in 2008.

Let's consider that for a second. Daunte Culpepper with blown-out knee was traded for a second-round pick. A.J. Feeley was traded for a second-round pick.

So, with all due apologies to the Patriots, the current score is Pioli 1, Pats 0.

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    "MYSTERY TEAM" MAKING PLAY FOR CASSEL?
    Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:49 PM
    Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that another unknown team has attempted to crash the Pioli-Patriots party involving the rights to quarterback Matt Cassel.

It's unknown whether the move came before the deal was finalized, and whether the Pats would be inclined to renege on an agreement in principle with Kansas City.

If they do, it would be an interesting development in the relationship between the Patriots and their former V.P. of player personnel.

Under the deal between the Chiefs and the Pats, the 34th overall selection in the draft goes to New England. As Peter King of SI.com (and NBC) points out, it gives the Patriots three second-round picks in the 2009 draft.

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    CASSEL TO CHIEFS IS A DONE DEAL
    Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:12 PM
    The Chiefs have formally announced the trade that will bring linebacker Mike Vrabel and quarterback Matt Cassel from New England to Kansas City. The announcement confirms that both players were obtained in exchange for the Chiefs' second-round draft pick in 2009. “I have a long history with both players,” G.M. Scott Pioli said in a release. “Mike and Matt are men that I respect both personally and professionally. I look forward to having them as new members of the Chiefs family.” The Patriots also have issued a release announcing the deal. And coach Bill Belichick gushed about both players. "When Mike arrived in 2001, we knew we were adding a solid outside linebacker,” Belichick said. “But where Mike took it from there exceeded our highest hopes. Mike Vrabel epitomizes everything a coach could seek in a professional football player: toughness, intelligence, playmaking, leadership, versatility, and consistency at the highest level. Behind the scenes, Mike's wit and personality is one of the things we have all enjoyed about coming to work every day. "The toughest aspect of my job is the day I stop coaching people like Mike, who did everything in his power to contribute to team success. Of all the players I have coached in my career, there is nobody I enjoyed working with more than Mike In the same way people recognize guys like Troy Brown, we appreciate and thank Mike Vrabel. He is one of the very special Patriots champions." Belichick also praised Cassel: "It is very easy to root for guys like Matt Cassel, who do everything the right way and flourish as a result. As much as we would have loved to continue working with Matt, we wish him nothing but the best as he takes this next step forward in his career." So, again, why did they give up both guys for only a second-round pick?http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/archives/2009/02/cassel-to-chiefs-is-a-done-dea.html

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think it's a good move by KC. They still have a ways to go. Cassel doesn't have Moss, Gaffney, and Welker to throw to

But, for a 2nd round pick? It's worth it

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    This is not good. CAssel and vrable to the chefs. But the killer is new england getting the early 2nd round pick in the draft.

OUr enemys got a bunch better. Hope we have some things up our sleeve. CAuse we've got to get better now.

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    They did not get the third pick. They got only a second round for both.:lol:

13. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Not necessarily. The Pats now have lots of room as regards the salary cap. They must know something about Brady's knee the rest of the world doesn't.

In addition the Pats now have 4 picks from the first 58 in this year's draft. They have a heap of money to go after some quality people. Cassel was a drag in terms of money...especially if Brady can play. They still have two more back up QB's.

The Bellichick-Kraft era has always yielded dumb like foxes personnel decisions.