1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Castillo and Igor

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Nov 9, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    haven't done SQUAT this whole year. WTH did they go? I mean it's like all of sudden this year they forgot how to get to the QB. Just sayin.....:icon_shrug:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Ive about had it with Igor, he's been non existant and has shown no ability. Ditto with Castillo who we might be forced to keep for another year because he signed such a big contract

3. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    The answer is no Merriman to play off of!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    no doubt about it, they miss Shawne

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Critical error signing castillo for that much money. He hasn't done ****. I'll be happy to say bye to igor after this season.

6. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Castillo and Igor are ends in the 3-4. They are meant to tie people up and stop the run. They are not meant to be fierce pass rushers. We need BAD *** linebackers and we just don't have them on our roster right now. Our biggest problem is Jyles Tucker isn't half the rusher Merriman is and without Merriman, the other guy....well is just another guy. I thought Marques Harris brought the most heat today.

We primarily rushed 4 the entire game and I was a bit surprised we didn't bring Cooper or Dobbins blitzing up the middle at least a couple of times.

Having Igor, Castillo, and Jaques Cesaire being 3 of the rushers and an ineffective Jyles Tucker is not going to cut it when we face a QB with more pedigree than Tyler Thigpen. I hope Rivers finds a way to create pressure because that performance was pretty piss poor imo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    That's one of the catches with the 34, the DL don't get the sack opportunities except when they play in the pass rush line. They haven't played that well on run defense either, so that has limited their sack chances. The catch is that when you have to pay them so much money and get little actual production, it is hard to justify having them around. You also have to start to wonder if we are playing the right defense. I mean, if they are having trouble controlling the OL and the LB they are protecting can't make plays....... what is the point.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Pretty vanilla defense today. It's true that not having Shawne to take up 2 or more blockers is hurting the pass rush. My belief is that in order to overcome Shawne's absence we need to start using more exotic blitz packages - bring safeties, corners. etc. I think we'll see this as Rivera gets more time as DC.

One thing is obvious - AJ better get Shawne signed to a long-term contract provided he makes a full rehab.

BTW - run D looked good yesterday.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Word and Word! :tup:

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Igor has never been able to get up field after the QB. He's okay at holding the point of attack and shedding blocks for the run. Nothing new here.

To me, the D line and linebackers look like they try to rush the passer for the first two seconds and then they stand straight up and quit. It's almost like it's choreographed. "Okay, on the count of three, everyone stop trying." The line is either the worst in the league or they have no heart or they're being coached to ease up if they don't get pennetration right away.

Sure, maybe the scheme is still off BUT if the a pass rush unit is comprised of quality players they're going to break one off occassionally based on talent alone. There's been nothing this season. Nothing.

Merriman is going to cash in one way or another.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    You hit the nail on the head. The 3 down d-lineman are to open holes for the linebackers to get to the qb or rb.

Cottrell obviously was oblivious to this. And I'm waiting for Rivera to understand it. Though Rivera was a 4/3 coach. So will someone tell him how a 3/4 works. The 3/4 is supposed to be about disquising the pass rush and hitting spots that aren't expected. Thats why you have 4 linebackers that could come at any time from any spot.

The reason merriman did well was cause he's merriman. About as good a pass rusher as god has made. Strong, relentless, quick. If you watch tapes of merriman he does it all on his own. The schemes suucked last year as well with cottrell. But merriman just persevered.

• Like Like x 1
  12. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Both DE are holding the line, the backers have not done anything that even appears as a pass rush!:tdown:

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I know Shaun Phillips is known as the "other guy" but he's just "an-OTHER guy" without Lights on the other side.....:icon_sad:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hear what you guys are saying and I agree that both of these guys have been complete non factors this season BUT I'm not ready to give up on either of them yet!!!

Both have been huge parts of our success in the past and they'll be back. Phillips hasn't been much this season either but I would want him released.

15. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I am sure you meant, wouldn't want him released.

I concur. I don't want to throw these guys under the bus just yet either. They need to step it up, but so many people are not playing up to expectations, that it's hard to pin on these guys, especially when their roles are to clog holes and jam up as many o-linemen as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Wouldn't throw them under the bus, but they better man-up soon or we're gonna miss the bus.....:icon_sad:

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Igor never was a pass rusher typeand his play sure doesnr warrant a big extention either.

Castillo is still a better player than Igor even on a down year. Castillo getting to the QB as he had in the past is just a nice plus being a DE in a 3-4. He just isnt doing it for some reason this year. I suppose it could have to do with Merriman since he plays on Shawnes side when he is in there. But you would think him and others could beat their opponent sometimes at least.

Nobody is doing it!

18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    who? oh those two guys that are up front that are supposed to tackle. arent we paying them a sh*tload of money?

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It ain't just Igor. I don't see much intensity anywhere. Jammer is playing hard all the time, otherwise some plays you see it, others you don't. These guys are taking plays off. Maybe they're just tired of the predictability.

20. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    id much rather have the other team score a touchdown because we got penalized so many time from hitting someone rather than them simply WALKING down the field.

• Like Like x 1
  21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Me neither. It's like this lackluster defensive attitude was contagious.....

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    A foot in their collective asses is very much overdue. I say we start benching AND FINING players who don't show up. Maybe then they'll see the light.

Rivera seems to have a pair. If Norv doesn't castrate him, I believe we'll see some changes very soon.

• Like Like x 1
  23. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Turner isn't going to anything to hinder Rivera. He was pushing to promote him for a long time.

Castillo I thought had a good game on Sunday against the Chiefs. Igor's problem is he's trying not to get injured so he can get a new contract next year.

• Like Like x 1
  24. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's what I'm sayin!! :yes: Rivera has some cohones (bigger than Cotrell's I bet....cohone envy.....). Got to whip these mofos into shape!

• Like Like x 1
  25. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

27. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Maybe these guys are just *****ing out and taking it easy. They need to nut up and play like they need to win every game... because they do.