1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Castillo and Olshansky.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Oct 8, 2007.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Olshansky:
    9 tackels
    0.5 sacks
    Only 1 tackel during the Denver game.

Castillo:
    9 tackels
    0sacks
    Only 1.5 tackels during the Denver game.

Are they injured?
    Are then not getting playing time?
    Is it because of Cottrell?
    Or do they just suck?

I know DE's in a 3-4 dont exactly rack up stats, but I havn't heard a peep from these guys.

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Well let's see Igor, Castillo, Merriman, and Phillips are all having subpar starts.

What's the common denominator?

Ted Cottrell.

• Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm pretty sure everything thats gone wrong with our defense to date is Ted Cottrell's fault.

4. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Did you all watch the Cowboys/Bills game on MNF. Watching the Wade defense, you didn't know where the rush was coming from. Also, they had minimum 5 rushers per play.

The Chargers game on Sunday against the Broncos, we had mostly a 4 man rush. Everytime they had a LBer blitz in the middle, either or both Merriman and Phillips would pull back into coverage.

During preseason, we all complained about the lack of aggressiveness on the defensive side of the ball and most of us were saying that it was only preseason and the vanilla scheme was only in place as to not tip off our opponents for the regular season. 5 games into the season....what's the excuse now?

Wow....would you imagine this team if Wade had patience/foresight to have waited for Marty to leave? I think the Cowboys game on Sunday against the Patriots will really show us how the Chargers would have been had Wade stuck around. I bet they'll be more prepared for the Patriots matchup!!!!

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Dallas also has the benefit of playing that game at home. We had to go on the road.

6. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

We also lost the the chiefs at home

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm not sure homefield advantage would have swayed the final outcome. They really kicked our ***.
    Hopefully September was just a giant fluke, and now our new coaches are starting to understand where they went wrong.

p.s. I still hate Ted Cottrell's arrogant guts!:icon_evil:

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I don't see the Pats or Colts losing a home game in the regular season this year. If they lose, it will be on the road.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    At the risk of sounding redundant -

Phuc Ted Cottrell's pandering, non-coaching, clueless a$$!!!! :icon_evil:

He needs to be replaced ASAP!

10. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Cottrel has less of an agressive approach than Wade...that is the biggest reason why this defense has looked bad. He's too worried about how opposing offenses are attacking his defense. He has the players to take control of games, look at how frustrated Wade had Brady and co. in the playoff game...look at how Wade disrupted Manning when they played indy...these guys can dictate how offenses approach them, but Cottrel is not capitalizing on this:no:

11. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I think we could live with Norv if we had top notch DC, but we don't. We have a fool, which is really all you can call that phat *** with the way he's using our players. Fire him and promote Pagano. I don't like Cottrell

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    This is what is so puzzling. When Contrell was hired, we read about how he is more aggressive that Wade? :icon_huh:

WTF happened?

Maybe it was Marty that put the restraints on Wade...shocking I know...Mr Conservative holding back a team....

13. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33

BINGO!!

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Guys, the bend don’t break defensive approach was PERFECT for the game situation on Sunday. Big lead, special teams kept giving Denver a long field, young quarterback, best receiver on the bench…

I’ll rag on Cottrell next game, if we stay passive when the game calls for being more aggressive. But it was smart to keep everything in front of us, and force Cutler to make good intermediate throws all day.

15. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Someone told me that Cottrell disguises the pass rush. I guess he's incredibly good at that, because I haven't seen it much at all.

16. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

I heard it is so good us as fans cant even see it happen :icon_shrug: :lol: :icon_rofl:

17. Kinch

Kinch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That makes me laugh and sigh at the same time.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This defense is reminding me of the days of Tom Bass.