1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Castillo anxious for camp’s arrival

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Casey Pearce
    Posted Jul 16, 2009

Chargers defensive end Luis Castillo feels fresh and energized as his fifth NFL training camp approaches.
    Two weeks ago, defensive tackle Jamal Williams told Chargers.com that he feels better than he has in three years.

Count the man that lines up immediately to Williams’ left, Luis Castillo, in the same boat.

“I feel pretty motivated right now,” Castillo said Thursday during a radio interview. “I’ve battled through some things the last few years injury-wise and I’m excited. I can’t wait to get going. I feel like I’m as healthy as I’ve been in the last three years.”

Last season, Castillo played in 15 regular-season games and both postseason contests but never felt quite like himself due to a back injury he suffered during training camp. While he never discussed the pain, Castillo’s back made for some long weeks last fall.

As Castillo enters his fifth NFL training camp, he does so with high expectations for himself. The expectations come from his confidence in his abilities and in the way he feels physically.

“I’ve been able to train that way and work that way,” Castillo said. “That’s a great feeling when you feel like you can push your body at that level and you feel like you’re ready to go.”

Health has been and will continue to be a theme for the Chargers as the 2009 season approaches. When training camp opened last August, key players such as Williams, Antonio Gates, Nick Hardwick, Shawne Merriman and LaDainian Tomlinson were coming off of injuries that limited them during the offseason. In addition, Philip Rivers was battling back from a torn ACL, and Marcus McNeill and Castillo suffered setbacks during training camp.

A year after many core players missed big chunks of Offseason Coaching Sessions, the Chargers had most of their bodies available this spring. Castillo reiterated Thursday that the team’s health and experience have them feeling good physically and mentally as they anticipate the new season.

“I think you look around this team and there are a lot of guys that feel that way,” Castillo said. “That’s why we’re motivated. That’s why we can’t wait to kick this thing off. To be able to have a healthy offseason where the core of our guys are healthy, have been able to train, have been able to work and provide the leadership even in the offseason, it’s all going to translate to more and more wins and better things for this team.”
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Time for Luis to put up or shut up. :icon_evil:

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    No more lip service, git r dun. I'm tired of all the we should do this, we should do that. Don't tell me what you want to do, show me what you can do.