1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Castillo Extended...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltsessive, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Boltsessive

Boltsessive Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    From the UT

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080722-0912-castillo.html

The Chargers have agreed on a contract extension with Luis Castillo that makes him one of the highest-paid defensive ends in the NFL.

Castillo will get about $18 million in guaranteed money and more than $43 million in new money over the life of the deal, which extends his contract five years through 2014.

Castillo has been plagued by ankle injuries the past two years, limiting him to 10 starts last season and nine in 2007. But those injuries are the only things to have stopped him from compiling Pro Bowl numbers.

He is almost 300 pounds, strong and quick and the Chargers see him as one of the top ends for many years. He has 13 sacks in 34 starts in his three NFL seasons.

The Chargers will announce the signing at an afternoon press conference.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    AJ does it again!

Locking up a good player, with reasonable money, that doesn't break the team, and for less than what the player would have gotten had they been able to play out the contract and hit UFA status! :tup:

SDRon's "boy" is on fire. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I don't know enough to say this deal is a bargain. Anytime they say he will be one of the top paid players at his position it can't be a HUGE bargain.

But I like Castillo and I think it is a good move to lock him up. Hopefully he can stay healthy and out-perform his contract.

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    and for the "Casons" of the world it says work hard be productive and you will be rewarded for the effort...

AJ IS GAWD....:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'm sorry but I have a very hard time supporting this

Castillo has failed to play a FULL SEASON or even 3/4 of a season. And yet we are making him one of the highest paid DTs in the game? Why? Because of his potential?

Hell IGOR deserves that money more then Castillo - at least Igor's been playing longer and more often then Castillo has!

6. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Actually he played a full season his rookie year in 2005.

I think what this tells us is that AJ and co. believe his injury problems are not long term and are more the result of freak accidents (like those of Philip). It also tells us that they believe his talent is worthy of taking the risk of further injury.

As for Igor, he's probably one of the least likely to be signed just because he's the most replaceable.

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Maybe this?

2005 - 2007 seasons:

Luis Castillo in 36 games
    -----------------------
    87 solo tackles
    13 sacks
    1 INT
    1 forced fumble
    5 pass defenses

Igor Olshansky in 43 games
    --------------------------
    93 solo tackles
    9 sacks
    1 INT
    3 forced fumbles
    6 pass defenses

Castillo has nearly matched Igor playing in 7 fewer games and has more sacks.

I still think Igor will be extended, maybe later this season.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Igor had far less experience then Castillo did, so I'd say that Igor has come further then Castillo did. Castillo hasn't been healthy since his rookie season and THEN he was playing as a backup and not starting. Since he's started he hasn't played in more then 50% of the games. And that's twice in a row; VJ got a 'fragile' tag for being injured less. So then what explains Castillo's dodging this?

In a sense this is similar to the Raiders making DL Tommy Kelly the highest paid DT out there.

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Don't worry Ant, AJ will extend your boy.

Until then, he has that nice, pretty, little wife to go home to every day. :icon_tease:

10. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Good move to lock him up. But I too am concerned about his durability.

11. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    hopefully he spends part of the $ on some really good ankle braces

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like the deal provided Luis can stay healthy in the future. Continuity on the D is worth money in the contracts. AJ doesn't make it a habit to throw money around - I'll trust him on this one.

Glad to see that the Dancing Bear will be a Charger for awhile. :tup:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is a good move. AJ is locking people up over time and not waiting for these contracts to come due all at once. His only problem as been with his ankles and that rests with the trainers and the equipment people who need to properly protect him some rather inexpesnive equipment and tape. Castillo is a undeniable talent. AJ is working on stabilizing the roster long term.

14. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    This move is ****ing ridiculous Luis is a huge chinadoll and you are making him one of the highest paid DEs in the NFL? Shame on you AJ Smith, shame on you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Almost 9 million a season for a 3-4 DE who only had one good season: his rookie year and has since played like crap. Say goodbye to either Merriman or Cromartie.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And AJ gives a flying **** what you think. :icon_tease:

17. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I'm with AJ on that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    7 years / 43 million isn't 9 million a year.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Good signing. Now stay healthy, Louis!!

20. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Castillo's next two years will still be on his rookie contract.

The "extension" money doesn't begin to take full effect until 2010. :D

21. matt1187

matt1187 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I think it's 43 million in new money over the 5-year extension.:icon_shrug:

22. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Castillo is a stud. He actually has played a full year: his rookie year. You can see how much of an impact this guy makes on the field. He's a playmaker.

23. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If Castillo plays up to his potential he is definitely worth at least that much. The guy has the talent to be the best DE/DT in the league and when Jamal is gone he has the ability to play NT (not the same as Jamal but a quicker NT)

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Some people in here say that AJ was quite mad at me for the "Norv Bashing" threads!!! :lol:

25. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I can't believe some of the members here are comparing Luis to Tommy Kelly. Do we even watch the games? When he's in, he makes a huge impact. He's one of the best 3-4 rushing ends in the game (not an easy task) as the OLB's are the ones who eat up all the sacks. He's also a great run stuffer with a non stop motor. You just don't get his combination of speed and size very often. Durability wise... the jury is out. But, it's obvious that the Chargers brass doesn't believe his durability is a concern. Their track record speaks for itself.

26. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree with Ant and MTL. Castillo hasn't done enough to warrant an extension of that magnitude, and the injury history makes it even more questionable.

:unsure:

27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Castillo is a stud. Two freak injuries aside, the guy is one of the most talented 300 lb. men in NFL history. I for one think this was a smart gamble. Spraining your ankle celebrating a sack and injuring your ankle on the crappy Metrodome turf does not make you fragile. Castillo was a bit snakebitten the last couple years. But I am glad he's going to be a Bolt through 2014. Props to AJ for having the foresight to lock this dude up before he becomes too expensive to re-sign.

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    How old is Castillo, isn't he one of the youngest at his position at draft time? If I'm thinking right about him he should start growing into his own and really become a force.

I'm just to damn lazy to go look it up, disregard if I'm full of shyte.

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929

Maybe so but that's two straight years as the starter that he hasn't played more then half the games. In that same time period VJ went from third wide receiver to solid #2 and played a hell of a lot more games. Yet VJ's the glass man and Castillo gets a pass? Not to mention look at my boy; he's been injured but he plays through the pain and has been a big contributor.

The fact remains that until Castillo can show he can play (at least) one full year uninjured, this contract is right up there with Tommy Kelly of the Raiders

30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    i reiterate, he wasn't a starter that year. Since he's been a starter he misses half the year.