1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Castillo patient as he improves

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers.com

Chargers defensive end Luis Castillo was asked Wednesday if he’d like to simply take a few snaps Monday night against the Broncos to get his feet a little wet as he progresses back from an ankle injury that has caused him to miss the last six weeks.

That notion was quickly shot down.

“I don’t want to get a handful,” Castillo said. “If you feel like you can go, you want to go. That’s the goal. I’m not telling myself, ‘Okay let me try to get back and let me try to get 10-15 plays.’ The goal is to get back to play to get ready for the playoffs and to play the game that we love to play. That hasn’t changed. Whether I can or not, whether they’ll let me, I don’t know.”

Castillo injured his ankle during the Bolts’ Week 9 contest at Minnesota. He underwent an operation on the ankle the next day, and team officials estimated the surgery would cause Castillo to miss approximately six weeks. He’d targeted Monday’s game against Denver as his return point, but as the date approaches, he’s still taking things day to day.

“This has been the goal,” Castillo said. “Obviously it would be disappointing if I don’t get back from this one. I can’t think about from two days from now or three days from now. I just take it day to day. I’m not going to be 100 percent. Let’s just take it day to day and see how good I can get it to see if I can get in there.”

While he’s been running on the side for a couple of weeks now, Castillo got back on the practice field for the first time last Friday. He was limited in his work but encouraged by the progress.

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner said that he’d most likely wait until later in the week to get Castillo back on the practice field. Castillo said the main issue at this point is dealing with pain, something that NFL players do on a weekly basis.

“The pain is going to be there,” Castillo said. “That’s not going to change. It’s just a matter of how much I can tolerate, especially these first couple of times we give it a go whether it’s this one or the next one.”

While the Chargers are anxious to get their former first-round pick back on the field, they’ve been pleased with the play of those who have played in place of Castillo. Defensive ends Jacques Cesaire and Ryon Bingham drew Castillo’s praise Wednesday.

“You look at the way that those guys have played, you don’t have backups out there,” Castillo said. “You have legitimate guys who can start on NFL teams. They’ve done a great job. You look at the win streak we’ve gone on. You look at the way those guys have played, the intensity they’ve brought and just the little things, the execution, being in their gaps, being where they’re supposed to be, not being a weakness to our defense and making big plays at times.”

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There is no point in rushing Luis. We have depth, we've been winning. We get Luis back and healthy, the odds are far better than if he aggravates the injury in a game that won't decided our fate. If he's ready, then I'm all for wiping the field up with them with his help.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    SAve Luis for the playoffs. Same with Merriman if he's still sore. Then turn them loose.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Gotta agree. I want these guys rested & ready to rumble come playoff time.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Castillo probably wouldn't be much help right now, he's got to be as rusty as Black Beards cannons laying off the Atlantic coast.

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Louise Castillo sure gets injured a lot.

7. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    :yes: ... draft a DE...

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    It happens when your body grows faster and larger than what is natural for it.

9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I'm getting the sense that you're in the same camp that I am, regarding Castillo.

I don't see him as a lock to be extended by AJ.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Are you implying HGH? :lol:

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Now we are talking some football.

Trenches baby.:tup:

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    No DE, draft a NT

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am way good with either or but I would like to see a DE over a NT.

Brandon McKenney is shaping up real nicely at NT but we do not have dick after him. That is a problem if we want to line them up 3 deep to compete.

14. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

It is definitely a problem. We essentially have three bench players on the entire defensive line, Mckinney, Bingham, and Cesaire. If one of the starters goes out with an injury, the entire rotation gets messed up. Mckinney is a NT only, and he can't play DE. Bingham plays NT, but not well at all. If we got a NT and DE in either the draft or FA, I would be much happier with the depth.

15. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    [​IMG]

Damn that Madden curse. Even in Spanish, we're not safe.

Oldie Out

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We can draft either. The choice ought to depend on the best D Lineman who falls to us in the round, at either position. Since we don't have a full compliment of choices, no way should we reach. If there isn't a bonafide first round fat boy on either side of the line, we should pick the best player available. That would not be a receiver at this point.

17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Oh I agree, in fact I would prefer that we pick up one of the outstanding guards with our first round pick, all I was saying was that at some point I would like to see us either draft or sign both a backup DE, and NT to provide proper depth on the line.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Man - Howie's boy sure would fit in well, but he's WAAAAYYY outta reach. :icon_sad:

Okam may be in the mix for us. Also, check out Barry Booker from VT. Don't have a good video link - hey, I'm a dial-up guy :tdown:

but I watch/attend a lot of ACC football, & Booker is a good one. :tup:

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    We need LARD.

20. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    All I know is Cesaire is a great BU. I love the guy!