1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

CB Brandon Flowers visits San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jun 18, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,626
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ts-san-diego-chargersfac?campaign=Twitter_atl

When Brandon Flowers was released by the Kansas City Chiefs last Friday, he immediately became one of the most intriguing names on the free agent market. His market has been slow to develop, but he finally has a serious suitor.

NFL Media Insider Brandon Flowers visited the San Diego Chargers on Wednesday, according to a source that has seen him. Flowers has strong ties to the Houston Texans and Atlanta Falcons staffs, but the Chargers have a bigger positional need.

He would represent a big big immediate upgrade for the CB corps. Would require some hoops to be jumped through a'la cutting Clary, low money salary, higher bonus upfront, but it could be done.

Flowers & Wright starting with Verrett and Williams and Ghee backing up? Impressive

• Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,682
    May not happen, but I like that Telesco doesn't just stop working once camp starts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    Agreed - Keep working Tom!

If a practical deal can be worked, I don't see how this hurts the Bolts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Don't you say that, we deserve this. No way TT let's him walk out of SD without a contract. He's spending today and tomorrow here. Similar to how Desean Jackson did in Washington, spent 2 days there, was his 1st visit and the revenge factor to go up against the team that cut you twice every year. Make it happen TT!

• Like Like x 1
  5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    If anything, it makes me think that Verrett's opening game status is a question mark and next season will be seen as a "developmental" one. If he can be had at a good price, I am all for this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,906
    Why does it make you think that? Verett, no matter what they expect of him, is still an unknown quantity until he proves it on gameday. When CB is a weakness and you only have an unknown quantity slated as a starter, no matter how much you expect from him long term, and a player like Flowers suddenly becomes available it makes sense to at least consider him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,682
    It sounds like Verrett is already doing individual drills, and we're still 2 1/2 months away from the season, so I don't think his health is a real issue.

I think it's more of an indictment of Wright, who (as mentioned before) was not good last year. Even if Wright does develop and improve as we all hope, I just don't think he has the talent to mirror a WR like Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, or Larry Fitzgerald in week 1 this year. Not to mention he's had injury problems from day 1, if he goes down again we are stranded.

I also want this move to happen, I doubt TT would even consider it if bankrupting us for the next few years was a possibility.

8. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Flowers electing to take this visit suggests to me that maybe the market for him isnt what he thought it would be right now or maybe its not all about the money for him. Maybe an almost guaranteed chance to start on a playoff caliber team with beautiful weather and a chance to play the chiefs twice a year is enough to make up for what we may lack in available cap space.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    The fact San Diego is his 1st visit means something to him or to us. I personally think both sides are desperate in this case. But, I hardly doubt TT brings in a Pro Bowl corner to "kick the tires" on. He's going to make an aggressive move for Flowers and I hope we get a deal in place by tomorrow night.

The problem is with our CBs is we have 1 rookie who is getting mental reps at the moment and we don't know what we will get exactly from him his 1st year in the league the same goes to Stevie Williams even though he's not a rookie. Another issue is we have a handful of guys who've struggled with injury throughout their careers in Shareece Wright and Brandon Ghee, so it's tough to rely upon them as well.

A CB unit consisting of Flowers, Verrett, Williams, Wright and Ghee is all I need to feel comfortable to be honest. It's not the tallest unit, but that's the least of my concerns. You add in Gilchrist, Weddle, Stuckey, Addae and Taylor and I'm really liking what I see. 10 DBs are a lot to carry throughout a season, but the Patriots, Broncos and 49ers did it last year for most of the year and those 3 out of the 4 teams made it to their AFC/NFC Championship games.

10. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +87
    I agree with the bold. However, if the market would require us to guarantee 20+ Mil over the course of 4-5 years to bring in Flowers, it just looks a bit silly given that we spent a R1 on Verrett, even if he is an unknown quantity. Stacking the secondary is nice, but not if it impedes the ability to improve other parts of the team. (DISCLAIMER: I believe the front 7 is far more important than the secondary, so this tints my opinion)

But if Flowers can be had for a relative bargain in terms of length of term, then yes, it is the best of all worlds and we should do it. Unused cap space is deadweight, after all. (even if said space is occupied by Clary :) )

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,906
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,626
    Flowers cancelled his visit to Minnesota and is still in San Diego

• Like Like x 5
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I like this..

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I sure hope the Bolt's don't sign this guy not that he can't help but it could hamper the growth of one of the younger guys who may prove out to be better.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    How?

Once again you can never have too many CBs. Shareece Wright and Marcus Gilchrist are free agents next year. That's two DBs possibly walking. Then you have unknowns in Jason Verrett and Stevie Williams. We have no CB1 on the roster than can consistently line up on the opponents #1 and atleast limit him. If you want Richard Marshall doing the job, I hope your ready for the same results we got last year with this defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    At this point in the season no one can actually say what any of these men will do concerning in game play. The defense took some major steps forward in the second half, there should be no reason for continued improvement. Weddle has plenty of proven veteran experience to help these young kids out.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Weddle is a safety, the way he sees the game is different from the way a corner sees it. In terms of preparation and everything else, yes Weddle can help, but in terms of the way a corner plays their position and the way Weddle does is totally different.

Brandon Flowers helps immensely. He takes the pressure off everyone else by lining up on the opponents WR1. I mean if you want Richard Marshall, Shareece Wright and 2 players who haven't played an NFL snap yet (Williams & Verrett) to lineup on Larry Fitzgerald Week 1 in a hostile environment on MNF even Carson Palmer will tear them to shreds.

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Rodney Harrison, also a safety helped a Pats rookie backfield win a Lombardi. Safety is likened to a QB and they better know where and what the corners are supposed to be doing.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Don't forget New England had one of the best front 7's of all time with Richard Seymour, Jarvis Green, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Tedy Bruschi, Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel and Willie McGinest which helped their defensive back unit. But, they also had a shutdown veteran corner in Ty Law and also a very solid corner in Tyrone Poole as well. It surely helped Asante Samuel's progression having those 2 players at CB as well as Rodney Harrison.

Some, not all safeties call out assignments, audibles, etc. Weddle is one of those. But, having a veteran corner like Flowers for Williams and Verrett to look up to serves them better than Weddle.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +464
    In the end, cannot hurt us to put more quality DB's into the mix. And rumors are that Richard Marshall was getting toasted in mini-camp.

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
  22. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Just out of curiosity why was Flowers drafted so high? His combine numbers are pretty mediocre. 4.55 40 and 30in vert. Pales in comparision to Verrett and Williams, who are both the same height as Flowers. I dont like this potential signing from the stand point it will take valuable reps and starting experience away from Verrett and Williams, who both have much higher ceilings IMO. Not denying hes established veteran. Just dont know how he fits in. Seems too similar to the guy we just used a #1 pick on, but slower and can't jump as high.

I doubt hes just coming in to be a potential back up and compete. Verrett and Williams have a ton of potential and need to develop fast as possible.

23. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100
    I don't see how Flowers would take away reps and stop Verrett and Williams potential growth. Tons of teams run 3-4 WR sets and you can never have too many good players to cover those guys. I have faith that our young DB's can develop but its one of the harder positions to play as a young player. Just look at how long it took Jammer to become someone who was consistent and could be counted upon.

It's a passing league and if you don't have the backend talent and depth on defense it puts that much more pressure on the rest of the team. I would feel much better with Wright covering the #2 or #3 guy then the #1 when it comes down to it.

24. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +87
    [​IMG]

I mean, there was a glut of CB talent available in early free agency. You all act as if the world will end if we do not sign Flowers, but where was this chorus when free agency began? I heard more along the lines of, "oh, we will build through the draft at CB" or "Wright has made good progress throughout last season".

25. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,422
    Did Wright make a big impact as a rookie?......... don't expect too much of Verrett right away, especially when he's starting late. Williams is a guy who has potential, but that's all it is at the moment. It's nice to have guys with potential, but if you can get a starter that's a proven commodity, then there's no pressure to force the issue on either guy. Let them develop naturally.

Flowers may be getting older (and slower), but he's a better fit for our scheme, than he was for KC's last year. My main concern is at what price? Does he still see himself as a big money player, or is he willing to take less. You can never have too much depth....... :poop: happens (especially to the Chargers).

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,422
    Brandon Flowers came and went.

The chance to sign him, history shows, did not leave with him.

The former Chiefs cornerback arrived in San Diego on Wednesday for an official free-agency stop. The next day passed quietly, the only word that his Chargers visit appeared to go well. There was no other development to report.

So, Flowers came to town unsigned and left unsigned.

That alone means not much.

Last year, outside linebacker Dwight Freeney visited the Chargers but did not sign immediately. He did days later. Tackle Max Starks did not sign on his visit but joined the team, again, days later. As notable, tackle Bryant McKinnie visited the club, left, and later re-signed with Baltimore for funny money (two years, $6.3 million).

The lesson: You never know.

Flowers, 28, is expected to draw his share of suitors. The Pro Bowler has made at least 13 starts in each of his six NFL seasons. This was his first free agency visit. If Chargers do land him, they won't need to clear a roster spot after waiving safety Brandon Taylor on Thursday. There are now 89 players on the 90-man roster.

27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Wow. The whole Brandon Taylor thing is interesting then. Why did they feel it was the time to cut him now if they didn't think Flowers would sign? Doesn't bode well for us. Eddie Royal has been recruiting him since they we're Virginia Tech teammates for 3 seasons.

I hope he signs. But, doesn't look good at the moment.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,906
    I'm not sure who's acting like the world will end if we don't sign Flowers. A lot of us are just saying the signing can help a weak position.

I think I've read much more over the top proclamations of how our current crop of young CBs will wither away and die if we sign Flowers and he robs their reps than I have those saying the world will end if we don't.

As for our discourse, I was merely questioning your claim that showing interest in Flowers somehow means that we're not confident in Verrett's current development, hence the meme about needing at least TWO starting CBs.

• Like Like x 1
  29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    This is true. Only for the exception that Flowers isn't a Bolt vet that has experience in the system being implemented going into the second year. No doubt, he'd be helpful to the D but at what cost, not dollars and cent's here. McCoy and Telesco have a clear image of the type players they want on the team, does Mr. Flower's fit that bill? other than he's a good DB? is he a team player or a ME player? I don't know.

I know, I read on the NFL site something about his tude last year and not liking having to play inside, not to mention he was benched in the latter part of the season. Again, I wouldn't want that attitude around the young guys I was training for the future or for the good of the team. I may be completely wrong, like I said it was only a blurb I read and this was before he showed up in Dego.

30. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +87
    I did not wish to imply that, nor did I overtly state that. I simply stated that Flowers should not be a "break the bank" signing when we have other positions that will need addressing in the near future and we likely have 2 starting CBs on the roster.

If he is willing to join for 2 years, then please, make it happen, but a player with his skillset at his position usually commands a far greater term of commitment, even at this stage of free agency.