1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

CB Brandon Flowers visits San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    That is true but although it is a vertically challenged group it is also a much quicker group of cb's than i could remember us having maybe ever (well maybe not ever but in the past 8 years or so)

2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    Embrace it. The Charger's "short circuit" defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    KC fan reaction is interesting - either they're upset we got him or they think it means two easy wins for them against us. No real middle ground that I've seen. I like our chances with him in a better fitting scheme with a 1 year deal that's basically his audition to make big money in 2015.

Doesn't make us invincible, but it certainly is an improvement to the secondary. Something we desperately needed. Nice work Telescope!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    After a tough 2013 campaign in which he was injured and was not a scheme fit, he signs a 1 year deal show and prove deal. Benefits both parties involved. I'm so excited!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Glad to hear the news and even better it's only one year. This will give Verrett plenty of time to heal and learn. Now, all that remains to be seen is if the Mighty Mites Backfield can defend, we know they can run.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,207
    POTY!

7. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71
    They must've forgot who their quarterback is and what happened last year

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,207
    When was the last time the Chiefs had an easy win against any non-collegiate team? ;-)

I like how it looks like we line up against the rest of the AFCW on paper...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Im sure any other team could have matched whatever SD gave him for a 1 year deal. I wonder if he wants some payback on his old team this year helped him make his dicision to come to SD??!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    The butt hurt is strong with some of the KC fans.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    @RapSheet: CB Brandon Flowers’ 1-year deal with the #Chargers is worth up to $5M, I’m told. Can prove himself in 2014, cash in again at 29

12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I'm happy with the one year deal..... we didn't need a long term commitment, just a little insurance and time for our youngsters to grow into starting roles. A smart signing by TT.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    It's a 1 year deal. I don't think anybody is going to wither away playing nickel and dime packages for one year.

Edit: And this assumes neither beats out Wright, who isn't exactly a world beater.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    CB Brandon Flowers’ 1-year deal with the #Chargers is worth up to $5M, I’m told. Can prove himself in 2014, cash in again at 29

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) June 24, 2014

In others words, it's a performance based contract.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,207
    Actually from the times I spent at camps and practices, this would only ASSIST in the development of Verrett and Williams. They will still get development time, they will still get situational playing time, they will get the experience of another successful veteran on the sidelines and in practice.

In my not so humble opinion, this allows both young CBs to develop with minimal chance that their confidence would be shot.

Time will tell which case it is.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    What hurts a player's development the most, is forcing them to play before they are ready. Many a QB has been ruined this way. CB is probably the next hardest position to learn. With a vet in the fold, the youngsters won't be pressured to play too soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Tom Slick pulled this one off, I wonder what else he may have cooking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    This won't force Verrett or Williams to take on too much too soon; both can be in the nickel and dime position while letting Flowers and Wright start. If Wright can't cut it, he will likely be replaced sooner rather than later by Verrett. It makes the group stronger as a whole with better players 1-4 than last year.

Rotoworld - 6/24/2014: Signed a one-year, $3 million contract. The deal included a $1.5 million signing bonus. Another $2 million is available through incentives. 2014: $1.5 million, 2015: Free Agent.

If Flowers can prove it again he can absolutely cash in and who knows with more cap room chargers might want to keep him

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    My first thought was... with what WR do they feel they're threatening us? The great Tony Moeaki who was bound for the HOF if he could just stay healthy (like he never did in college) until... oh wait... nevermind!

Then surely it must Dwayne "I make great uncontested catches, but give up when fought for them" Bowe, right? Or... who the hell is even their #2 right now (because outside of Charles and McCluster, their next leading receiver last season was Donnie Avery who battled inconsistency all year to the tune of 40 receptions for under 600 yards)?

Their wideout situation makes ours look like Pro Bowlers (because we have guys who have actually produced at starter-levels, albeit not consistently season to season). Donnie Avery? Junior Hemingway? AJ Jenkins? Kyle Williams? Mardy Gilyard? They're going to cruise to easy wins against us through those guys?

• Like Like x 1
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Pure height is largely irrelevant if the player in question (and this is applicable to both Verrett - 39 1/2" and Steve Williams - 40 1/2") has better vertical jumping ability than many of their peers that are taller than them. Mind you, the vertical jump measurement is taken in terms of the highest point the player (with their jump and reach) can hit, so both Verrett and Williams have both shown to be physically capable of out-highpointing the likes of Justin Gilbert, Sean Smith (who is 6'3" and change), Dee Milliner, and Stephon Gilmore... all of whom were beloved for being "big corners." Whether they're able to transfer that physical capability to on-field production is a separate issue, but measured height taken alone without context isn't that much of a detractor.

• Like Like x 2
  21. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Besides, Wright is 5"11

Does 2 inches really make that much of a difference?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I vote no. But I know a lot of people who think otherwise.

If you stand the two next to each other side by side it would be hard to even eyeball the difference of 2 inches.

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Unless he performs at deserved Pro Bowl level and hits certain benchmarks, at which point the contract maxes out at $5 million - but let's be honest, if he performs like that I don't think anyone's going to be complaining about paying him an extra $2 million.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I read that one of the "incentives" was the Chargers reaching the AFC Championship game..... hardly something in his personal control. ;)

26. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71
    I think this changes the game.

I think now we can actually play more press man coverage and keep everything in front of us. Dare I say it, but we actually have legit depth. I think Wright is a decent CB but Flowers is clearly better. Marshall isn't bad on spot duty. We'll see what JV and Williams bring to the table. Our linebackers are versatile and mix experience with youth. Our DEs are good enough that with a good secondary, they can feed on the opposing QB. I'm not saying we'll have a #1 defense or even top 5 but I think it'll be good enough to add a few wins on from last years total.

Good enough to surprise the "experts" again and give Peyton Manning fits.

27. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    I'm sure some females would say yes.
    With that crude joke out of the way, I'd have to say that it would make a difference
    if every player had the exact same vertical leap. Genetics being what it is, this is not the
    case. DB's are some of the most athletic specimens walking the planet and most of the
    professional starters at that position have the ability to elevate just as much as any receiver
    does. A 6'5" receiver doesn't usually have to leap for much..so they don't. DB's are usually a bit
    shorter, so they leap and the difference is often nullified. So...um yes and no.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    ^^^ If a 6'3" receiver is standing in the end zone, and a 5'9" CB is also standing there, who do you think will win if the QB throws them a "jump ball"???

29. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Press man is exactly what Flowers struggled with last year. He's here now because he fits our defensive scheme- off man and zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  30. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    The one who high points the ball. Height just isn't the only factor.

• Agree Agree x 3