1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

CB Brandon Flowers visits San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    It depends. Have you seen the hops Verrett (sp?) has? He might out jump megatron... Before Optimus prime rips him in twain....

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71

Yeah but wasn't part of that due to him being moved inside to nickel?

Either way, I think this still solidifies great depth for us in the secondary which I haven't been able to say since.....

3. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Some of his displeasure was being moved inside but press man, a depleted pass rush, and sketchy safety help over the top all played a part in his performance last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    True, be interesting to see how his level of play impacts the secondary as a whole. For the better part of he last 3 seasons I felt the secondary played like they did not trust one another. If his play helps the team jell and they can start worrying about themselves and not where their team mates are, it could be huge. Interceptions are more than just one player being in a good position after all...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71

Well see, I don'tse that being a problem. We have Weddle at Safety. I think Addae is going to break out this year. We have a young talented pass rush.

6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    He's one of the best in zone. I think this is a huge addition.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    I will take your word for it. You indicated you have seen a few KC games in the past... I only see them when they play the bolts. Thanks for the perspective.

8. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I certainly hope our pass rush appears this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    We will need it. Paid-a-ton's OL is good, and it is getting hands on him that makes us play well against him... Need to sprinkle some miracle grow on our NT....

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    The comparison wasn't between a 6'3" WR and a 5'9" CB, it was the difference between a 5'9" CB and a 5'11" CB

• Like Like x 1
  11. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71
    Maybe I'm escaping reality but it seemed to me like the return of Melvin Ingram helped boost the defense at the end of last season. A healthy Ingram, Freeney, Teo, Butler, and Johnson, should be able to get the job done. Maybe this Rookie can help too. I think Liuget and Reyes will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,698
    so. many. jokes.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Bad Syd... Bad!

:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Watched a couple of his highlights, and while I know its not a whole game, his instincts are absolutely absurd. There were a couple of throws that he broke on before the QB even turned his head to that side. One of which he takes Carson Palmer to the house....

There's absolutely plays that he knows what is happening and exactly where to be. Something that a zone/off man CB has to be able to do. During the NFL 100 best series, a S on the Chiefs was talking about him vs Denver and calling a play saying "they're gonna run this, and i'm gonna pick it off" and picks off a skinny post down the field.

• Like Like x 7
  15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Also, people must not of watched closely enough last year. After Wright came back and we started trusting Jahleel Addae more, Marcus Gilchrist was the nickel CB and caused fits. I expect them to do the same except subtract Richard Marshall out of the equation and add in Brandon Flowers and it will make a big difference and people will notice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I know not everyone was high on the addition a day ago...but I think even the biggest Debbie Downer would be hard pressed to find a reason that this is a bad move.

A) He came cheap, but still expensive enough that we might have to cut or re-structure a certain someone.;)
    B) He was a top 10 CB the 4 years prior to the arrival of DC Bob Sutton, who moved him inside.
    C) It takes a TON of pressure off Verrett to be ready on day 1.
    D) He adds toughness and intelligence to a very young secondary.
    E) He will be hungry to earn that big payday, so it's very unlikely he pulls a Gaither.

Is he a "shutdown corner" probably not, he's not Darrelle Revis, but I do remember a time when he used to give Vincent Jackson fits every damn time we played KC. And if he practices and plays at RCB, in zone or off-man, I really don't see a reason he can't return to being one of the 10 best CBs in the NFL this year.

Really my only big concern with this whole roster now is D-line depth, I like how we stack up pretty much everywhere else.

#PositiveVibeThread.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I'm glad it's only one year, it puts Brandon in a position where he can prove his worth for that next big payday and not at the expense of the Bolts. This could be a boon for the kids knowing that he'll only be a Bolt for this year. The pressure won't be as tough on them since Brandon can help them with the mental part of the game. Now, if Verrett can get his body into NFL shape for the long haul he'll only benefit from this signing, he doesn't have to come out like an all pro.

I'd imagine that Williams, who should be ahead of Verrett both mentally and physically in the Bolts system will find his transition a little easier. I hope both kids take advantage of this opportunity to pick Brandon's brain and stick to him like glue and learn what it takes to be a successful NFL player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Agreed. I fail to see how this will in any way these youngsters' progress as some here have suggested.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    With this being a cheap 1 year deal, unless it A) still puts us over the cap or B) they have intentions of finding some other worthwhile FA to add (not sure if any are available), or C) if cutting him somehow saves money/cap room next year then I'm still all for keeping that certain someone because, expensive as he may be, depth is never a bad thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Why? Verrett and Williams are both (essentially) rookies, throwing them into starting positions seems more counterproductive than giving them time to develop on the sideline.

Which is not to say they both wont play A LOT anyway, but still a little less pressure should be a good thing.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    My primary argument against keeping him was his contract blocking us from making a key signing like we just did, I never imagined Flowers would become a FA, and that he would come so cheap. Now if the Chargers can figure out a way to get back under the cap, and not hamstring themselves as far as flexibility during the season as injuries occur, then I have no problem with him sticking around as depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I think he left out a word in what you quoted and it caused you to think he was saying it will hurt their development.

I think he was saying he fails to see how it will.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php

[​IMG] Chargers sign CB Brandon Flowers (1 year, $5M; $3M guaranteed): A Grade
    You have to wonder what the Chiefs were thinking when they placed one of their best defensive players in a scheme that didn't fit his playing style. Brandon Flowers performed on a Pro Bowl level for several years, but struggled in Bob Sutton's system this past season.

The Chargers aren't complaining. They're stealing a talented corner from one of their rivals at a great price. Flowers actually had issues finding a new home for a while because he priced himself too highly, so he had to take a 1-year "prove it" deal. I love contracts like these. San Diego will greatly benefit from having him in its secondary.

• Like Like x 1
  24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    My major concern was a multi year and millions deal that could actually be harmful to the team and the younger guys. This will work out fine and who knows, he may become a keeper only adding to the depth and strength to this team in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Any news of a corresponding roster move??

26. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Not yet, he hasn't officially signed a contract, he has just agreed to terms, so until he does we likely wont see another roster move.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    @UTgehlken: Chargers clear roster room for Brandon Flowers. CB Brandon Jones has been waived, team announces.

28. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Chargers.com: What was your visit here like?
    Flowers:
    I loved it! I got showed around the city and fell in love with it. San Diego is beautiful. I spent a lot of time with Eddie Royal[​IMG], who was my college teammate. He sold me. He sold me hard on the city, the fans and the team. Once I left I knew it was the place for me.

Thank you Eddie!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Exactly. Thank you. I do NOT feel this will slow their development and in fact can more likely help.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +314
    brandon flowers.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1