1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

CB Brandon Flowers visits San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Lets not forget, this was an article, not a video I was commenting one. Frankly, it's the job of the writer to provide context. If the comment was said "in a joking manner", then the writer should qualify the quote and say so. The straight quote would not immediately lead anyone to think it was said in jest.

Oh, first off, let me just say, I am the best corner in football. Let’s get that clear. Don’t let my injuries from last season remove my name from that list.

Nothing about that quote would lead one to say he wasn't serious: "Lets get that clear"..... sounds pretty emphatic to me.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918
    But if the writer annotates that it was said in a joking manner then he can't create controversy where it doesn't exist.

Making it sound like Flowers is showboating about being the greatest creates conversations like the one we've had in here and more links to his article.

You see, that's how this nonsense works. They bait a player into saying something that they can spin into a lot of nonsense and have something to write about when there's nothing to write about.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    That pretty much describes 90% of the people on this forum. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    On most forums which is why it's so funny when posters get so bent.

Or consider themselves to be in that exclusive 10%. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,205
    Well I am exclusive 2% so I am ok then...

• Like Like x 1
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,762
    The only thing that is "clear", the article you cited and posted indeed has a hyper link directly to the live interview from where the quote was highjacked and misrepresented.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    So, the new cardinal sin is not following a hyperlink...... got it.

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,762
    I highly doubt it to be considered a sin but when you intentionally choose to misrepresent someone other than yourself, you end up being the horses ***.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    The cardinal rule I followed when not making much of the quote is understanding how the media works...especially in the offseason.

If the headline were something like "Brandon Flowers purchases billboard stating he's the best CB in football" I'd be complaining about the nonsense right along side you.

When it's just a quote taken from an interview? Yeah, my "media creating bullshit where it doesn't exist" radar goes off and I move on.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Huh...... who did I "intentionally misrepresent"? Whether Flowers was serious about his remarks or not is still a matter of interpretation. Just because he was in a good mood during the interview doesn't mean he didn't mean what he said.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Fair enough.

12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,762
    The intent of the original post was in a negative light, as if to preach, "oh no, not this again". Back pedal all you want, some day you might be as good as Flowers.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    BS, I've yet to see anything definitive to say that view is wrong. All you have, is a video where he seems in a good mood. Hardly definitive proof that he didn't mean what he said. There are a lot of things he could've said to show he's a confident player that stopped short of saying "I'm the best corner in football." He said what he said.

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,762

It's all good, it's even better we can disagree that's what makes it interesting. I was worried about his benching the last 1/4 of the season, or the old "here we go again" another head case. How nice will it be if both of us turn out wrong? something good is happening in Dego and I want to enjoy this ride.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I hope for the best as well, I just don't care for mouthy players. If you're good, you don't have to tell people about it, they'll know. If Flowers' drop off last year was simply due to injuries and a change in scheme, then his signing may prove to be just the shot in the arm for the defense that has been sorely needed. The Cox signing was a disaster.... I pray that this time, Telesco has made a wise move.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Boys, boys...
    Can't we all just be happy that we now have "the best corner in football" ? :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I thought we cut the "best corner in football?....... was that Cox or Cason, I forget which. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    But is he really being "mouthy"? or is he just answering a question?

And quit talking about Cox. Brandon Flowers is not Cox.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    I mean, I get that for the team what only matters is what's done on the field. But does that mean the players need to be mindless robots who never speak anything but cliched nondescript phrases to the media and never ever talk about themselves in a good lite when asked?

I remember all the manufactured rage on Chargers forums when Tomlinson had the audacity to say he's humble and how that automatically made him anything but. Why do we give 2 shits about random things said in press conferences and interviews?

If all that matters is what's done on the field why do we spend so much time arguing about what was said off of it?

20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    It's LT's "I'm a very classy person" line that I think will probably take people longer to get past...

p.s. I have no problem w/ Flowers' remark

• Old Old x 1
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    That's the one I was thinking of. I was thinking he said "humble" for some reason.

(That's how little I care about that stuff. I forgot exactly what it is he said while there are other fans that'll still bring it up to this day)

22. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    Seriously who gives a damn?! The fact that this is even an ongoing disagreement shows you what little we have to talk about right now.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Why do I have to quit talking about Cox... because you say so? :rolleyes:

It's relevant in terms of Telesco's free agent signings. His first "big" signing was a bust.... we're hoping for better this time. I do think Flowers is a better player, but when anyone comes off a bad season, questions will be asked.

Remember, when Rivers was "broken"? More than a few people on this forum thought his best days were behind him. I fail to see how having questions about players is a sin. That's what these forums are about, discussing the merits of the team.... both the good, and the bad.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    That goes without saying, but there, you said it. ;)

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    Don't misinterpret me. You're free to talk about Cox all you want. But no matter how many times you cram his name into the discussion he'll still remain irrelevant to how good (or bad) Brandon Flowers is because they're two different people.

• Like Like x 1
  26. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +234
    We are still talking about football here right? lol

• Like Like x 2
  27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    It wasn't my intent but I did catch the inadvertent insinuation in the post after I made it. :roflmao:

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
  29. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +575
    So long as BF covers and tattoos the opposing No. 1 WRs, he can claim that he's the baddest MoFo on the face of the Earth. Till then STFU!

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,918
    I don't give a **** what he claims off the field one way or another.

If he covers and tattoos the opposing #1 WR I'll love it because he's doing that.

If he doesn't I'll hate it that he's not doing that. Making some claim before-hand about being the best wouldn't make me hate it any more or less because I'd hate that he's failing just as much even if he had "STFU!" and failed.

Either way, whatever **** he says off the field doesn't factor in good or bad. He can say whatever he likes off the field because frankly I don't give a ****.

• Agree Agree x 1