1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CBA Issue Could Lead Jackson to Sign by Week 10

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Oct 8, 2010.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
  2. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    The thing is, if he signs will he start? The CBA will definitely play a part in wether he signs or not there's no doubt about that, but will AJ let him just waltz in and take his starting spot back? Probably not.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Doesn't he need to sign by week 8 because of the 3 game exemption?

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup and to get one years worth of credit (6 games).

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Thought so. Thanks T.

6. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    AJ does not decide who starts and who sits. The coaches do. I think that if VJ comes back in shape, he will be worked back into the lineup and should be starting within a couple weeks of his return. Since he has to report three games before he can play, he might be starting by the first game he is eligible.

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    His agents totally screwed him. They should have known about that provision and counseled him properly. If I were VJ, I might fire these guys and sue them for damages for the faulty advice.

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I just hope that if he does come back, it is to play football. I don't want some big distraction with him not trying, or faking injuries, or some other stupid sh*t. If he comes back and does his best to help the team win, I have no problem with him.

10. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    This sloppy mainstream reporting is the same flawed regurgitation that has been refuted on numerous occasions. For some untold reason La Canfora couldn't name one of his sources.

"Because being on a roster for at least six weeks virtually would assure both players of an accrued season -- and unrestricted free agency or a franchise-type tag. That season gives the players six in the league, and in any new CBA, players would need no more than that to earn unrestricted free agency."

It's interesting, Vincent Jackson having 5 accrued seasons and an expired contract is deemed useless under a new CBA, but 6 accrued seasons and an expired contract means everything. Like others, La Canfora further paints a scenario where some huge shift in the language has to occur for Jackson to attain UFA status, which is complete BS! The argument is that under normal circumstances, Jackson had in fact met the necessary requirements. If the new language is similar, he will again, regain UFA status. Nothing in this article, or the soon to be expired CBA, refutes that point.

"The worst case for either player is that teams retain a franchise tag in the new CBA -- seen by many as likely..."

What in the world is he saying here? Reporting now isn't going to prevent this from occurring and not reporting, according to his own argument, will leave them restricted anyhow. Makes no sense. He alludes to the notion that the Chargers would in fact franchise Jackson.

"Jackson's teammate, left tackle Marcus McNeill, was in the same predicament with the Chargers, but he signed his tender and reported to the team late last month."

McNeill reported because he wised up to the language in the CBA? :icon_rofl: What an absolute distortion of fact. My understanding is that McNeill had attained assurances from the Chargers front office regarding a long-term contract. Is that not so?

Once the Chargers become Jackson's only option, something could get done. If Jackson compromises on his proven market value, I would expect his new contract to include the stipulation that the Charger organization will no longer restrict his access to the market.

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I was giving this some thought and it is hard to say that he would be here for the right reasons. He wasn't happy that he didn't get his LT deal, he wasn't happy his tender was dropped to 300-400K, he wasn't happy the suspension was slapped on & he wasn't happy he wasn't traded. The only reason he would come back is to get his years in so he has the freedom to do what he wants at the end of the year. So with him coming back it is only for his benefit. If he truly cared about the Bolts winning then he would have been here beforew the tender was dropped. I really can't see him putting in a full effort when he does/if he does come back. I know you want to put the trust in yout players but seriously, with all the crap he has endored would you want to throw the ball to him in a critical situation? If he truly believes this is his last year and surely steamed about the way he envisions how he was treated I now I wouldn't trust him to get his own one last FU to AJ. I try and look at that TD that Moss dropped in his last game at the goal line. It was a catch he normally makes and he didn't. It's something like that I don't want being the next SD debacle debate.

12. LT - HOF

LT - HOF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Don't need him - don't want him ....should've traded him just to not deal with this - he'd be eating up a roster spot and messing with the mojo

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I wish I had a job like that. Get one year on my retirement for showing up for only 6 days of work.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Merriman is doing exactly this and is a piece of dawgshiit however, I do not get that sense from VJ he would sandbag regardless of what has transpired.

15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, being an unrestricted free agent who is franchise tagged is not the same as being a restricted free agent. Besides, the Chargers have many expiring contracts and only one Franchise tag. They might end up having to use it on a player they actually want to keep long-term.If he plays six games this season, he knows without a doubt he will be an unrestricted free agent next year. If Jackson sits out the whole years, then it's all up to the legalese in the next CBA as to what his status is..

As for not naming his sources, why would he? The "CBA expert" he spoke to is probably some lawyer no one has ever heard of. And the union CBA guy he spoke to is not going to want to give the appearance of weakening the position of an NFLPA member while he is holding out. I really fail to see how quoting and unnamed source makes the story any less credible. The language is in the CBA. Read it yourself. An RFA that sits out the season, remains an RFA the following year. If players could just sit out the season and then become UFA the next year, the RFA designation would become practically worthless.

As for McNeill, the article does not say he reported because he got wise to the CBA language. It says that it may have factored into his decision. I would hope that anyone involved with player contracts would know this sort of stuff long before their client was holding out two weeks into the season.

And why do you say VJ is deemed "useless' under a new CBA Not being granted UFA status is not the same as being deemed useless.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes Merriman is sandbagging. That's why he took pain injections the last half or 2009 so that he could play on in an injured foot. And that's why he played with two torn ligaments in his knee for the last several games of 2007. Because the guy only cares about himself and his next contract. Right.

Merriman sandbagging it makes no sense. His next contract will not be for the kind of money he wants if he sandbags it this year. He has to perform on the field in order to get paid the kind of money he wants. Jackson, on the other hand, could sit out the last six games with nagging "injuries" and he would still more than likely get a fat contract.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Word is when players were asked if Merriman would play this year they "snickered".

Merriman sandbagged not getting the surgery when Rivers and Gates and Jamal got done and got a one years paid vacation while his boys warred.

Dude holds out this preseason for 2 weeks and then does not play all pre-season. Merriman has not shown up for 4 games this year. The guy is collecting a paycheck just like Igor was doing except Igor got on the field.

And you know what? Someone is going to pay Merriman when he leaves and it is going to be for big bucks. The excuse will be used that Merriman needed the extra time to fully rehab including this year where he fuks off. The guy is not going to bring his "A" game and it is all self serving. The guy is not a team player. He is a ME player. Fuc him.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    This makes no sense. A stipulation in this CBA would no longer be in affect once the CBA officially expires in March. Once a contract expires, and the CBA is a contract, it no longer rules anything.

Once a contract expires, it has expired and is null and void from the expiration date on.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not even sure he would be capable of starting at that point. The guy won't have played in over 10 months. I don't think the 3 weeks of practice he would have before he could play, would be sufficient for him to become any sort of impact. Look how long it took Favre and his WR's to get on the same page because he missed most of training camp. They are still not on the same page and they have been working together for over 2 months now.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Use some common sense. The owners will not go back to whoever spends the most wins so that leaves the owners with trying to keep the status quo which means using the rules of the expired CBA as a template going forward. This has been widely speculated as the most likely approach.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No one knows what will be in the new one. I am just saying that the stipulation in the current one, has no authority over anything that happens after it expires.

The players may come back just to make sure, but there is a very strong possibility that they won't have to

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    What will most likely change is installing a rookie salary cap, RFA rules to stay at 5 years vs 4 or 6 as a middle ground, players share of the pie reduced, owners will have to donate windfalls to local communities (battered kids, education, local healthcare etc etc) because the revenue streams are about to go through the roof.

I do not see big wholesale changes with a new CBA or nothing earthshaking.

23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    The current CBA has this RFA clause to prevent holdouts.

The RFA hold out will not go away. No way the owners will cave on that part of the CBA. That would open the flood gates to the RFAs holding the owners hostage for a bigger contracts with no retribution.

The big issues will be money and number of FA years. The players union will not fight this RFA holdout clause when they have much bigger issues ($$$$$) that are more important. The players union is not going to fight for something that is only affecting 2 players.

The change in the number of years in a new CBA will not change what their status in THIS year. If they want to be FA next year and the RFA holdout clause is in the new CBA, then it is in their best interest to report and get credit for the season and not be affected buy the clause. They would be absolute idiots to gamble on that.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    "Word is" people snickered. Did "they" say that? Because we all know how reliable "they" are. So what about Merriman taking pain injections for the last half of last year to play? What about him playing in 2007 with a shredded knee? Why would he have done those things if he's not interested in playing and does not care at all about the team?

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Plenty of injured players miss half the season and come back and play at or near their usual level, depending of course on the nature and severity of the injury. I don't think VJ will have forgotten how to play in half a season. To rule him out of making any impact seems a bit rash.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    But if the new CBA has the same system regarding restricted free agency, then Jackson would be right back in the same boat. That's the point. The owners and players are arguing mostly over how big a piece of the pie the players are going to get. Changes in the RFA system or Franchise tag system may or may not happen. It's a gamble for VJ and his agent to think that they are going to be granted unrestricted free agency if they just sit out until a new CBA is agreed upon.

I'm really not sure what "doesn't make sense." More than likely, the new CBA is going to look alot like the old CBA, with the biggest change being the level of the salary cap. The players and owners are focused on negotiating the percentage of revenue that will go to players' salaries. I don't think either side is interested in shredding the old CBA and starting from scratch.

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Pain injections ?

How about the clauses in Merriman's contract to get his bonus for games played or starting games? Pain injections are a money grab to get that extra dough. I would take the needle to get that bump in pay you bet and I guess that makes me a warrior - right ?

Yeah right.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    "They" also said the same things about David Boston, Marcellus Wiley - you know - teammates. How reliable "they" are is up to you to decide.

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So how much money did Merriman make for starting a few extra games? Do you actually know he has a clause in his contract for games started or are you just talking out of your azz as usual?

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fit your knee-jerk judgments. But why let reality get in your way, just make up your own reality, as usual.

Puff puff pass.

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Do you know that Meriman does not have a performance clause in his contract which MOST NFL contracts contain ?

OR

were YOU just talking out of your azz as usual trying to make Merriman some sort of hero for taking pain shots ?