1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cesaire in familiar position

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers.com

As defensive end Jacques Cesaire sat with reporters following Friday afternoon’s practice, his locker room neighbor couldn’t help but interject.

“The thing you’ve got to realize is that Jacques has started in this league,” defensive tackle Ryon Bingham said.

Part of Bingham’s intention was to rattle his good friend and make him lose his train of thought, but in reality, he brought up a good point. With Luis Castillo sidelined for approximately the next six weeks, Cesaire will once again assume a starting role in the Bolts’ defense when the Indianapolis Colts come to town Sunday night.

“This has happened to me every single year since I’ve been in the league,” Cesaire said. “I started in 2004. When Lou got here, I started the first couple games and then backed him up. I’ve been in this position before. I have to step up.”

Cesaire will make his 28<SUP>th</SUP> regular-season start of his career Sunday night. He started 10 games in 2006, three in place of Igor Olshansky and seven while Castillo was slowed with an ankle injury. He produced his best season of his career last fall, totaling career highs in sacks (four) and tackles (47). Cesaire has always been ready when called upon, and he credits his preparation.

“Our defensive line coach (Wayne Nunnely) teaches all of us that we have to prepare like we’re the starter anyway,” Cesaire said. “You never know when somebody is going to go down. All of these guys - Ryon Bingham, Brandon McKinney - practice like they’re the starter that week. We’re prepared for whatever can happen.”

Even though he hasn’t been on the field for the first play of the game this year, Cesaire has seen plenty of action. He’s been a part of the team’s regular rotation and has been a part of the defense.

“The thing is just because people don’t start doesn’t mean they don’t play a lot,” Cesaire said. “I’m averaging about 35 snaps per game. I’ve been out there.”

Most Charger fans are familiar with Cesaire’s story. He made the Chargers as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2003. In his second season, he started 12 games and has been an extremely valuable reserve the last three years. Cesaire’s path has caused him to take a blue-collar approach to his job, and those around him believe that shows in his game.

“He’s steady,” defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said. “You know what he’s going to do. He’s one of those true pros. He’s going to give you want he’s got.”

Because of Cesaire’s past production, Chargers coaches are fine with having him in an increased role, but because the Bolts regularly rotate their entire defensive line, their main concern at this point is depth.

“I think our coaches and our players and I all have a great comfort level with Jacques,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “When you’ve got a rotation and you’ve got a bunch of guys going, you just get spread thin. Guys have to step up. I expect them to do that.”

Jammer doubtful

Cornerback Quentin Jammer (hamstring) again missed practice Friday and is listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game. If Jammer can’t go, Antonio Cromartie will start at the right cornerback position and Drayton Florence will move to the left side. Linebacker Marques Harris (toe) also missed Friday’s practice and is questionable.

The Colts have ruled wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez (thumb) out as well as safety Matt Giordano (hamstring). Indianapolis had a host of players miss at least a portion of practice again Friday. They list DT Raheem Brock (neck), TE Dallas Clark (concussion), T Daniel Federkeil (concussion), LB Tyjuan Hagler (neck), WR Marvin Harrison (knee), CB Marlin Jackson (foot), LB Freddy Keiaho (ear) and T Tony Ugoh (neck) all as questionable.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll certainly miss seeing Luis in the lineup & wish a speedy, full recovery. Cesaire will turn in his usual steady performance. He's not flashy, but he's tough & consistent.

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Chopped liver he ain't.

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Cesaire is solid. I'm glad he's a Charger.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm REALLY glad to hear that Cesaire will play this weekend!!!
    He did a great job filling in for Castillo last season!!!

6. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    And what was Mr. Cesaire's response to all the accolades heaped upon him by BoltTalk members? With a big ernest grin, the towering, yet humble man says, "ahh shucks, you're turning my head" and then proceeds to kick some pony butt! :yes:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Your boy is on the short end of my fuc - u stick. :icon_eek::yes:

BUT .... I do not place all the blame on his sorry ***. I blame the POS linebackers and Jamal Williams who has not been a force for dick at all this season (ok maybe one play).

Then we have Merri-woman who has deflated after he got off the juice or was it Cottrell? Hey any way you slice it the POS is not whacking MO-Fo's with evil intention. I think his shoulder has a vagina. :yes:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Jamal just had his knees flushed. I have first hand experience with two painful knees(not anymore, they're both plastic), so let's see what he does when he gets back into action. Merriman's strength and weight aren't apprciably different and there is no evidence of chronic juicing. This entire team has underperformed from last year. I'm getting jaded about the coaching staff.