1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cesaire willing to mentor his replacement

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 26, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Cesaire wants to help player Chargers drafted to replace him
    By Kevin Acee
    11:24 a.m., May 26, 2011

Corey Liuget answered his phone shortly after the NFL Draft and was surprised to have Jacques Cesaire introduce himself, tell him he should get out to San Diego and even offer assistance.

"He's the guy I'm battling with for the spot," Liuget saidd. "He said, 'Hey, if you need any help you can stay with me.' "

To say the two are battling for a spot is perhaps the Chargers' first-round pick showing respect to an eight-year veteran. It is a foregone conclusion that it is only a matter of time until Liuget replaces Cesaire at right defensive end.

Cesaire, in fact, might not even be a Charger anymore. After starting 30 of the Chargers' past 33 games and 64 times in all since joining the team as an undrafted free agent in 2003, Cesaire is in limbo during the NFL lockout as an unrestricted free agent.

The team would like him back, and anyone who has gotten to know Cesaire in his time in San Diego knows it would not be a shock for him to agree to a lesser role and less money than he could possibly get elsewhere.

"I do want to come back to the Chargers," Cesaire said Thursday. "I love San Diego, I love the organization, I love all my teammates."

Cesaire will walk in a graduation ceremony at Southern Connecticut State University today, having this spring completed the classes and internship necessary to earn his liberal studies degree.

"I knew I'd be in Connecticut at least in February and March," he said. "I figured I'd get as much done as I can and finish in the summer. It so happens we had a lockout, and I could finish now."

In addition to his proven playing ability and value as veteran depth, his gesture toward Liuget and reasoning for wanting to help the rookie illustrate why the Chargers might try to keep Cesaire from walking away.

"I look at it like if I do come back to the Chargers, if they want me back, I got a new brother," Cesaire said. "The last guy the Chargers drafted in the first round to replace me, I ended up being in his wedding."

Cesaire was referring to Luis Castillo, who in 2005 was taken 28th overall after Cesaire had started 12 games at left end in '04. Cesaire returned to being a reserve and fill-in starter at both end spots over the next four seasons before taking over at right end in 2009.

Whatever his role has been in his 120 games as a Charger, the gregarious and devoutly Christian Cesaire is beloved among the team's tight-knit defensive line.

"This is a young kid coming to the NFL," Cesaire said of Liuget. "I can show him the ropes, mentor him, show him how to be a real pro ... He is a good kid. He is probably one of the most respectful first-rounders I have ever met. I want this kid to be the best. if he is going to take my job, he better be the best."

:icon_toast:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Sign him long term to be our backup and defensive mentor just for that alone, that's something you don't see everyday

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I commend Cesaire's attitude. Great spirit of teamwork.

But .... we have coaches to coach. I certainly wouldn't give up a roster spot to Cesaire unless he earns it, just as he has had to do in the past.

4. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I know this isn't necessarily the place to make a religious comment, but this kinda attitude does reflect well on his faith. In this day and age of me, Jacque gets the team concept.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    You lost me there........ how does understanding the "team concept" have anything to do with religion? :confused:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Jacques Cesaire confirmed for plotting to murder Corey Liuget.

:D

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    What other choice does he have? Unemployment?

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I will say this, of the guys along the DL that we are set to turnover into free agency, Cesaire is the one - provided it was a heavily team-friendly deal - I mind bringing back the least. He's not starting caliber, but we could do worse as far as depth goes - and if that frees up money and time that can be used to address other positions of concern, then by all means. Besides, we were likely to be in the market for at least one depth signing across the DL even with the drafting of Liuget.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    qft
    why would anyone pick him up?

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    He's a nice guy. ;)

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Good point. So that means the Chargers will pick him up...

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    AJ loves "character guys"........ or so I've been told. ;)

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No doubt.

Here's a gem of some *** kissing circular reasoning:

Q:
    Bill Davis
    9:39 AM May 25, 2011

Kevin, Great job by Annie with the Jonas Mouton video along with your recent article on him. It was good to get some insight on why the Chargers selected him when they did since there has been continual criticism regarding his second round selection. He apparently has numerous characteristics that can't be measured, but translate into a high level of success. Now, I am anxious to see him play!

A:
    Kevin Acee
    12:24 PM May 26, 2011

Well, how about that.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Kevin isn't shy about printing the positive responses, is he? ;)

15. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    But he's no homer, he's very critical of AJ, according to Kevin Acee.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Kevin should tell that Acee guy to shut his piehole........ #imjustsaying ;)

17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Or vice versa. So long as they cancel each other out somehow.

I haven't checked in at the KC Star lately, but that has the best football writing in the AFC West.

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Agreed!