1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chad Johnson to go on the trading block next season:

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Oct 22, 2007.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
  2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Pouting on the sideline and argueing with coaches are "internal problems."

There is no way AJ goes after Chad Johnson.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I'm not too sure about that, AJ seems to be emulating the patriots, first with high character-second tier vets in FA and keeping their own player at cap friendly salaries, now, maybe AJ sees the pats succeding with Moss and he's thinking "WTH?" :icon_shrug:

4. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I wouldn't mind having Chad here...but we alreaddy have our own #85...what number would he wear?:icon_shrug:

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Think long term here.
    We'd have to give up a lot for Chad, probably Chambers + a 1st.

Not only that we'd have to pay him the big bucks he deserves, it could cost us a chance at resigning Rivers, McNeil, or Merriman whose contracts all run out at the same time. It would most likely cost us another core player, and I think thats out of the question as far as AJ is concerned.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The numbers might have to be crunched to be sure but I think the cap hits for Chris Chambers and Chad Johnson this year and the next two years are about the same.

Nevertheless, CC + CJ would be a lethal one-two punch WR combo wouldn't it?

Just something to dream about since it probably won't happen. But then again, how many of us saw the Chambers trade happening?

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    I'll take Chad in a hearbeat, bring him over!!!

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    With AJ's normal MO, I doubt that we'd see a move for ocho cinco after just trading for Chambers. AJ still likes his draft picks & he's not going to give up much more in terms of picks or players.

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Do you really think AJ is going to use 2 #1s and 2 #2s on WRs??

I would love Ocho Cinco, but really this WR cores is set for a LONG time with Chambers/VJ/Davis

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm more worried about what it would cost us in the long run. I'd rather keep guys like Merriman, McNeil, Castillo, and Rivers around than risk spending a mint on a reciever who could end up lamenting not being our #1 or even #2 option.

Our offense would be ungodly amazing if we had LT, Gates, CJ, CC, and VJ all on the same team, but at what cost?

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't know from what I've read and heard his teammates don't really like him and are sick of all of his antics. I don't see him stopping if he came here and if end up struggling wouldn't surprise me if our guys get sick of him.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I dont care if stops so long as he does his job. I dont think anyone else would care either.

The Bungholes are just looking for a scapegoat to their HORRIBLE start this season, when the reality is he's only had one public argument with his QB the entire season and that came in week 1.

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    It's all moot. The Patriots are going to get him.

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    and Jason Taylor. Did you see belliman talking to him after the game. :yes:

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :yes: But only after the Pats somehow orchestrate his trade to Oakland for one season where his value will dive to that of a 4th rounder and a bowl o' chowder.

Then he'll arrive in New England just in time to replace two-time Superbowl Champion Randy Moss. :lol:

16. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If he somehow finds his way here, he will play 6th fiddle to LT, Gates, Rivers, Merriman, and Williams. Those guys would humble him.

Turner for Johnson anyone?

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Donks or Chefs make a run at him.

The Chiefs need a good complement to Bowe, and Javon Walker's injury might make Shanarat want a proven #1 WR.

18. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    now there's an idea...:yes:

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    AJ won't even think about this until he sees how the team and the season shake out with Chambers here. Chambers is going to improve the stats of just about everyone who touches the ball, except maybe the Center. We have other needs to be addressed with the money and whatever we'd have to give up for "Ocho Cinqo". It appears we still need a right tackle and an heir to Jamal.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    the bengals have Rudi Johnson

21. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Extremely true- and Rudi Johnson is a very complete RB. He's not LT, but he's very capable, and they'd have no need for Turner. I'm not going to lie though, I'd love Johnson and Chambers lined up opposite of each other.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Then do a 3-way trade. Transition tag and then trade Turner to the Dolphins for their 1st rounder next year. Trade our 1st rounder (which will be worse than the Dolphins') to the Bengals for Chad Johnson.

Bengals move Chris Henry up to #2, make TJ Housh #1, and use the extra first round pick to draft defense.

It's all just fantasy anyway. Nice to speculate though....

23. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    There's no way in the world the Dolphins will trade their 1st for Turner, and if they do then that pretty much guarantees Cam is still on our payroll.

• Like Like x 1
  24. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    It's happened to us in the past, so why not do it someone else? :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are other teams with much lower number ones who need a guy like Turner. That's not a trade someone in the top ten is likely to make. If I were AJ, and there is probably a ton of really good reasons why I'm not, I would explore the possibility of a trade in advance of franchising him-if it could be kept quiet. The Owner's meetings might be a good time to do that.

26. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Chad Johnson? No thanks. Dude has maturity issues and he's not a team guy. I think his "look at me" shtick would get old here very quickly.

27. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21

No way the Dolphins will trade their # 1 pick which will most likely be the top pick.

Turner is good but not worth the first pick.

28. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    That would be a retarded move on cincinnati part! Housh is going to get a wake up call being the #1 in Cincinnati, because the only reason he excels is cause Mr. Ocho Cinco is double covered 80% of the time! We will be fine with what we have, Chambers is a stud and has had absolutely no QB in Miami to throw to him and now he has PR! The Pats wont get CJ cause all the money they spent this offseason they couldnt afford him, they spent all that money on Adalius Thomas, 43 million on Wes Welker, and a boat load on Moss so IMO they will be capped!!

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think the big question is where we finish this season.

Though if we can get him (with out giving too much away)... DO IT!!!

You can say A LOT about Chad Johnson but one thing you have to include is "Team Player!!!"
    So he likes to show boat but he is also totally dedicated to the Bengals (at this point). I've seen him make big blocks as another receiver got the touchdown and he ran in and celebrated with the team.

If we win the Super Bowl, I still think we should consider.
    Anything less... DO IT (As long as you have Rivers signed long term)!!!

So Chad wants to be a HOFer but he needs rings for it!!!!

30. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I call BS on this. Sure Chad is a team player when they are winning, but now that they are not it's the blame game. Palmer isn't getting him the ball, etc. That and all of his "look at me" antics screams prima donna, not team player.