1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chambers' day ends early

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/10/05/sports/chargers/zcb48e74ad6ad670e882574d90080c6bb.txt

MIAMI ---- Chargers wide receiver Chris Chambers was limping out of Dolphin Stadium on Sunday afternoon, a duffel bag over one shoulder, a boxed mini pizza in one hand and a crush of thoughts weighing on his mind.

Chambers, who played in Miami for 6 1/2 seasons, sprained his left ankle on the final play of the third quarter and did not return in the Dolphins' 17-10 upset win over the Chargers.

"It's not too serious," Chambers said of the injury as he headed for the team bus. "I'm sure I've had this type of thing before."

Chambers, who was traded to the Chargers midway through last season, was greeted with boos early in the game even though numerous Miami fans were wearing Dolphins jerseys with his name written on the back.

He also scored the Chargers' lone touchdown. The scoring reception came with 3 minutes, 21 seconds left in the third quarter as the Chargers cut a 17-3 deficit down to seven points.

The 17-yard pass from Philip Rivers found Chambers in the right corner of the end zone, and he dragged his toes on the turf while making the grab as he stretched to stay inbounds.

Just six plays later, he was leaving the game. He was hurt after making a 5-yard catch that brought the Chargers to the Dolphins' 1-yard line.

"Yeah, it was real hard (leaving the game)," said Chambers, who had three catches for 30 yards and leads the Chargers with five touchdown catches this season. "I really can't even talk about it. I've got too much stuff going on up here (pointing to his head)."

Tomlinson shut down

RB LaDainian Tomlinson rushed for just 35 yards on 12 carries and had only 57 total yards on 17 touches, including five receptions.

Tomlinson said he was limited by his right big toe, which he originally injured against Carolina on Sept. 7.

"Yeah, it bothered me," Tomlinson said. "I got hit at times, getting it stomped into the ground. It's something I expected. There's nothing I can really do about it."

What hurt even more than the toe was the failure to gain 1 yard on the first play of the final quarter. The Chargers had fourth-and-goal from the Dolphins' 1-yard line and were attempting to tie the score, but Tomlinson was stopped for no gain.

"It was one of our favorite plays down there, and we had been doing it and (been) successful in doing it," Tomlinson said. "But they get paid too, and they did a good job of snuffing out the play. They got penetration and they were able to stop us."

Gates closed

TE Antonio Gates had just one catch and struggled to get open against Miami's secondary.

"They had two weeks to prepare for us, and it was obvious they were prepared," Gates said. "There's really nothing else to say. You have to give them credit, man. They came out and played well."

The Dolphins really registered a shutout of Gates. Television replays confirmed that Gates didn't catch the pass he was credited with catching. The Dolphins didn't challenge the play since the Chargers were sending out the punt team.

Wildcat formation

The Dolphins ran 11 plays out of the "Wildcat," the formation in which RB Ronnie Brown lines up in shotgun and fields a direct snap from center.

Brown didn't throw any passes out of the formation, but did score a touchdown on a 5-yard run.

"They stopped it a few times," said Brown, who rushed for 125 yards. "It's about execution. If we do it the right way, it's going to be a positive thing. It's just a change of pace and being able to give the defense a different look and then going back into our regular formation."

Injury report

Chambers sprained his ankle on the final play of the third quarter and didn't return. He'll be re-evaluated Monday.

As expected, OLB Jyles Tucker missed the contest with a hamstring injury.

Key stat: 7

Consecutive times the Chargers have lost to the Dolphins.

Turning point

The first play of the final quarter when Tomlinson was stuffed on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line by Miami's Vonnie Holliday and Channing Crowder.

Quotable

"You can't take a win for granted. You can't take a team for granted. We don't play them every year and we played a team that wanted to win a football game, and it showed."

---- Gates on the team's lackluster performance against Miami.

Next game

Chargers vs. New England, 5:15 p.m. Sunday

Who's hot

Dolphin Stadium grounds crew: The field was in terrific shape for a venue that hosted the Miami-Florida State game on Saturday and withstood a torrential rainstorm that lasted more than five hours.

Who's not

Norv Turner: That distraught look on his face as he went to congratulate Miami coach Tony Sparano was followed by a cross-country flight with a very angry A.J. Smith.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Whoopee ****ing doo. AJ is the one who hired The Norv & Teddy show. Let's see if he's got enough sack to admit that at least Fat Teddy needs to get cut lose & promote Rivera. And tell him to take Derek Smith with him. Also, cut the on-field celebrations RIGHT NOW!! No one deserves to be celebrating about anything at this point.

My bet is that AJ is too ****ing proud to admit he made a bad choice in hiring that Buffalo/Minnesota POS. He'd rather take the ship down than admit he's wrong.

3. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I'm tired of that ****ing toe. Is it that bad? jeeezz. I think we should sign another rb and put LT on the bench until it gets better. He's hurting the team. Maybe a run-over type back so it would be a 1-2 punch. Or how about we put our freaking 2nd round choice on who we spend alot on and put him on the freaking field jesus christ.
    '
    BTW who's calling the "run up the middle" plays when sproles is in, why not a pitch GODDD, our coaching is horrrible.

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    There's no way Teddy will get fired before the bye week unless he does something really bad.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Guess you missed this part of the interview you quoted-

What hurt even more than the toe was the failure to gain 1 yard on the first play of the final quarter. The Chargers had fourth-and-goal from the Dolphins' 1-yard line and were attempting to tie the score, but Tomlinson was stopped for no gain.

"It was one of our favorite plays down there, and we had been doing it and (been) successful in doing it," Tomlinson said. "But they get paid too, and they did a good job of snuffing out the play. They got penetration and they were able to stop us."

The important part is favorite play followed closely by and we had been doing it and (been) successful in doing it. It was the correct play to call, it was poorly executed.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Frankly if its that goddamn bad, and it looks, then a coach needs to nut up and BENCH LT until he can heal up. And LT's response in the press conference that if he sits for one he'll sit for three to totally heal. Wait a goddamn minute, you mean this could've been taken care of earlier if he sat down three weeks ago?? What the hell kind of comment is that? And since obviously Norv doesn't have those kinds of balls then he shouldn't, as you noted, run up the gut. We had more success with misdirections, with counters with plays that got the run going one direction and cut another way. You know like Denver ran on us all goddamn day?

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm afraid none of the coaching staff is going.

But, as we ALL feel... anything less than winning the Super Bowl will be a disapointment. If that doesn't happen, we need a winning coach and let him pick his assistant coaches!!!

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Holy Moses, can we move on from the Fish game already??? You can whine and complain all you want but the score is going to stay the same.

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    People *****ed and moaned when LT couldn't play in the AFC Championship game, and now they're *****ing and moaning cause he's playing now. If you want a real culprit, the defense is the worst in the NFL right now. If they don't fix their ****, Matt Cassell will throw for 400 yards, and their tight end will catch ten passes for 130 yards and a pair of touchdowns. For God's sake, Pennington had time to fall down in the endzone, and still get up to throw it out of bounds.......

Also, if people had actually watched the game, they would have seen that our running game had a shot yesterday, but was shutdown by a coaching staff that only gave LT and Sproles 19 combined touches. We ran down their throats on that first drive, and then gave up, just like KC last year.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Spot on. nail on the head. right on the ole nosey!

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Thank god someone else saw the same game I did. rep~

12. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Your wrong from the first sentence. We (or at least I) did not demand for him to play the whole game, i demanded for him to show support. No one loves ladainian more than i do but all i'm saying is that he should sit down and heal for a couple of weeks. It's not like sproles is ****ing up every time he touches the god damn ball. We spent to much on Hester (who forced the fumble on the kickoff) to keep him on the freaking bench. We can be pulling out a freaking taylor/MJD combo out there while resting our MVP rb for games that count down the stretch. I don't understand why you are (norv/aj/who ever the F is in charge) trying to force LT to be good when he's obviously not even at 75%.

Our o-line is embarrissing. Same thing goes for hardwick, keep newberry in and wait for him to heal... i don't understand why everyone is forcing the ****ing issue?????

Our d-line/pass rush also reaks like my grandmothers ****. I don't know why someone would call a cover play when you need a turnover and the ball is at the freaking one. I swear i saw castillo, jamal and igor blitzing, maybe harris but why not call a freaking fireman or pinch and disguise a linebacker into coverage (most likely wilhelm or smith). It's not like our corners freaking suck.....

13. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I wasn't talking about the LT 4th down conversion. I was talking about when we would give it to sproles and run it up the middle for again of like 2-3.

14. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    rep!

LT can't win with some of these people. Like you said when LT put the team first and sat out because he was hurt people bashed him for being a puss, now he's playing through an injury and he's getting bashed for playing.

I'm willing to bet the same people calling for LT to sit because he's hurt would be the first people to call him a puss if he did sit and we lost the games he sat out.

Seriously it's like LT has to have 200 yards and 4 TDs to have anything positive said about him these days.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Rep.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChargerPessimist

ChargerPessimist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    man i wish we had kept Marty....

17. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    i wish we kept Wade Phillips as our DC

• Like Like x 4
  18. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Me too, but it's obvious that he was ready for a HC job. He's done well in Dallas that's for sure.

19. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    AGREED ?L.T w2o+ carries = a win 90 percent of the time

20. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    L.T is the best running back to wear a chargers uniform and probably will always be its fact look at the stats they say it all .period!

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Looks like an ankle sprain; hopefully not too serious.

22. ChargerPessimist

ChargerPessimist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    is it safe to say we all just wish it was 06 again?

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807

HELL NO.

Remember how that season ended? **** that ****.

In AJ I trust and in the Bolts I have faith.

24. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Wow.....not throwing in the towel or anything....but i hope the bots get their *** back in gear.

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    No, I want a much better outcome.

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    fixed :lol:

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I've looked all over and not heard/seen anything; any updates on Chambers??

28. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    :abq1:

29. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    All this means is now every team in the NFL has a perfect blueprint to beat us.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yup. We might as well stop playing. Cancel the trip to London. Everyone knows how to beat us.

Dam, I wish we could make adjustment like those Pop Warner teams do....