1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chambers enjoys first day as Charger

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wednesday, Oct 17, 2007

When Chris Chambers got the call Tuesday morning that he’d been dealt to the Chargers, he was hit by a range of emotions. He’d be moving his family and leaving the team he’d spent more than six years with.

When he arrived at Chargers Park Wednesday morning, all of those feelings quickly turned to excitement as he focused on the new opportunity at hand.

“At first I was a little shocked (about the trade), but the excitement started building once I realized what I was coming to, some of the people and the type of team I was coming to and what they’re all about,” Chambers said. “The excitement just kept building. Once I stepped out here today I knew it was for real. I got a chance to run around a little bit and it felt good.”

Chambers was on the practice field Wednesday afternoon wearing his new number 89 jersey. Although the surroundings were different, the football part of it was very similar, thanks to his previous time with Head Coach Norv Turner.

“A lot of the plays, a lot of the routes and a lot of the formations, I pretty much could step right in the huddle and play a game,” Chambers said. “I’ve played six games already. I’m game ready. I know how to prepare myself. I’m just excited to play with these guys.”

The seven-year veteran spent most of the morning with his new position coach James Lofton, who enjoyed a Hall of Fame playing career. Chambers felt like he and Lofton immediately hit it off and is happy to be working with him.

“It’s good to have a receiver coach that played the game at a high, high level,” Chambers said. “He knows what he’s talking about and I’m just going to absorb everything I can from him.”

Chambers also enjoyed meeting his new teammates. He and quarterback Philip Rivers spent time talking about family and getting to know each other on a personal level. In the coming days, they plan on spending time together so they can get on the same page from a football standpoint.

Particularly encouraging to Chambers was the attitude he quickly picked up from his teammates. After starting the season with an 0-6 team, he now finds himself with a group tied for first place in their division and seeking their third AFC West title in four years.

“I’ve got a great opportunity, a great blessing to be a part of a team that is a competitor, that’s been to some playoff games,” Chambers said. “It’s a great fit for me right now. I wouldn’t have imagined it would happen like this. It’s kind of untimely, but I’m glad it happened.”

Big chance

While Chargers starters have pushed themselves through individual periods this week, second and third-teamers have received most of the snaps in practice. Head Coach Norv Turner has balanced their work in hopes of resting a group that has played six physical games.

“There’s a fine line,” Turner said. “I don’t want to wear them out. We’ve got some guys that have been playing beat up and banged up. I want to get them back healthy, but I don’t want to lose the edge we’ve gained.”

When preparing for games, many of the younger players are often relegated to practicing the scheme of the upcoming opponent. That keeps them from getting a many snaps in the Chargers’ systems, but Turner has made sure they’re catching up to speed this week.

Turner is preparing his squad in case a situation similar to Nick Hardwick’s arises. Despite little time with the first team in practice, center Cory Withrow had to play nearly the entire game last week against Oakland after Hardwick went down with a foot injury.

“He hadn’t had a lot of reps at center,” Turner said. “He gets a couple a week, two or three a week. He went in and played great. We’re going to be in that position again with another player. I don’t know who it’s going to be but this week, the reps that they’re getting will help them whoever it is that gets put in that position.”

Football junkie

Turner’s plans for his weekend off probably wouldn’t surprise many people.

“I’m going to probably watch some football,” Turner said.

He’ll be particularly interested in the Houston-Tennessee and Minnesota-Dallas games, considering the Chargers play the Texans and Vikings in the next two weeks.

“You get a little bit out of watching the game on TV,” Turner said. “You can see some things and hear some things from the commentators that help you.”

A little fun

For Thursday’s practice, all Chargers players will be wearing either their college or high school jerseys. The idea was initiated by Rivers, who simply wanted to guys to have some fun and celebrate where they come from.

Chargers.com

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    “I have a lot of experience with quarterbacks coming in and out,” Chambers said. “I’ve had maybe 10 or 11 quarterbacks the last six, seven years, so I know how to talk to the guys. I know how to get comfortable with them at a fast pace because I’ve been having to do that for a long time, so I know what I have to do.”
    Except for getting a feel for the way Rivers throws the ball, Chambers is already pretty well versed with what’s going on. Save for a nuance here or there, the Chargers use many of the plays, routes and formations the Dolphins use.
    “I could pretty much just step right into the huddle and play a game,” said Chambers, who also spent plenty of time with Hall of Famer James Lofton, the Chargers’ wide receivers coach. “I’m game-ready.”
    He won’t have to do that quite yet. The Chargers (3-3) have their bye Sunday, so Chambers will make his San Diego debut the following weekend at home against the Houston Texans.
    Chambers played for four head coaches and six offensive coordinators during his six-plus seasons in Miami, and had 10 quarterbacks start with him.
    Chambers hopes that instability — along with all the losing — is behind him.
    “I felt like I haven’t really been able to maximize my ability,” he said. “I’m in the prime of my career right now, so it’s good to be able to get with a team and hopefully stick around and build some continuity and see how good I really can be.”
    “These guys want to win. It feels good to be out here around a winning tradition right now,” he said.

Yahoo Sports

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Picked this up on the Pats board posted by a Dolphin fan,
    Here's the link, if you can put up with the all of the mas-hole's drivel, http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=64162

Further in the thread a Pat's fan posted this,

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's gonna look good scoring TD's in a Charger uni! Welcome to the club, Cris! :tup:

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'm stoked about this guy's attitude! I don't think there is any locker room risk taken here, like there would be with a TO, Moss or Chad Johnson. He was all class in his interview with NFLN, and I can't wait to see him on the field for us!

6. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks for posting this SDbound. I was looking for that list of QB's and coaches for Ant. It's downright ugly! This guy must have kissed the ground when he stepped off the plane.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929

No question this is the best QB situation he's ever been in AND though he had running game and tight end support, he never had it like this

Of course if he dropped over 50% of his balls as the number one option I wonder how many he will drop since he's #3

• Like Like x 1
  8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Check this out!!!!!
    [​IMG]

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Hey genius, he didn't drop over 50% of his passes. That lame Football Outsides article said that only 40% of the passes thrown to him were completed. That doesn't mean the rest were dropped. In the year where Chambers had 82 catches, he had 11 drops. How does that amount to dropping 50% of his passes?

Don't worry, math is not that important for lawyers. Just make sure you have someone else handle your billing. :icon_rofl:

10. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

Third hand so take it for what it's worth...

06 Dropped Passes Rankings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34. Terrell Owens had 17 out of 152 targets in 2006. (11.2%)
    33. Reggie Brown had 9 out of 91 targets in 2006. (9.9%)
    32. Darrell Jackson had 11 out of 112 targets in 2006. (9.8%)
    31. Reggie Williams had 8 out of 92 targets in 2006 (8.7%)
    30. Randy Moss had 8 out of 97 targets in 2006. (8.2%)
    29. Joe Horn had 5 out of 61 targets in 2006. (8.2%)
    28. Steve Smith had 10 out of 139 targets in 2006. (7.2%)
    27. Michael Jenkins had 6 out of 83 targets in 2006. (7.2%)
    26. Andre Johnson had 11 out of 164 targets in 2006. (6.7%)
    25. Braylon Edwards had 8 out of 124 targets in 2006. (6.5%)
    24. Santana Moss had 6 out of 101 targets in 2006. (5.9%)
    23. Deion Branch had 6 out of 101 targets in 2006. (5.9%)
    22. Reggie Wayne had 8 out of 137 targets in 2006. (5.8%)
    21. Joey Galloway had 8 out of 141 targets in 2006. (5.7%)
    20. Chris Chambers had 8 out of 154 targets in 2006. (5.2%)
    19. Drew Bennet had 5 out of 98 targets in 2006. (5.1%)
    18. Javon Walker had 6 out of 126 targets in 2006 (4.8%)
    17. Marvin Harrison had 7 out of 148 targets in 2006. (4.7%)
    16. Donald Driver had 8 out of 172 targets in 2006. (4.7%)
    15. Travis Taylor had 4 out of 87 targets in 2006. (4.6%)
    14. Larry Fitzgerald had 5 out of 111 targets in 2006. (4.5%)
    13. Plaxico Burress had 5 out of 121 targets in 2006. (4.1%)
    12. Eddie Kennison had 4 out of 101 targets in 2006. (4.0%)
    11. Torry Holt had 7 out of 179 targets in 2006. (3.9%)
    10. Derrick Mason had 4 out of 112 targets in 2006. (3.5%)
    9. Mark Clayton had 4 out of 113 targets in 2006. (3.5%)
    8. Anquan Boldin had 5 out of 152 targets in 2006. (3.3%)
    7. Chad Johnson had 5 out of 152 targets in 2006. (3.3%)
    6. Terry Glenn had 3 out of 110 targets in 2006. (2.7%)
    5. Roy Williams had 4 out of 151 targets in 2006. (2.6%)
    4. Muhsin Muhammad had 3 out of 117 targets in 2006. (2.6%)
    3. Hines Ward had 3 out of 126 targets in 2006. (2.4%)
    2. Lee Evans had 3 out of 137 targets in 2006. (2.2%)
    1. Laveranues Coles had 3 out of 151 targets in 2006. (2.0%)

Tight Ends:

24. Bubba Franks had 8 out of 53 targets in 2006. (15.1%)
    23. Courtney Anderson had 4 out of 43 targets in 2006. (9.3%)
    22. Randy McMichael had 8 out of 96 targets in 2006. (8.3%)
    21. Jerramy Stevens had 4 out of 48 targets in 2006. (8.3%)
    20. George Wrighster had 5 out of 63 targets in 2006. (7.9%)
    19. Robert Royal had 3 out of 39 targets in 2006. (7.7%)
    18. Alge Crumpler had 7 out of 103 targets in 2006. (6.8%)
    17. Benjamin Watson had 6 out of 91 targets in 2006. (6.6%)
    16. Chris Cooley had 6 out of 94 targets in 2006. (6.4%)
    15. Jermaine Wiggins had 4 out of 67 targets in 2006. (6.0%)
    14. Alex Smith had 3 out of 53 targets in 2006. (5.7%)
    13. Heath Miller had 3 out of 55 targets in 2006. (5.5%)
    12. Bo Scaife had 3 out of 56 targets in 2006. (5.5%)
    11. Randal Williams had 3 out of 57 targets in 2006. (5.3%)
    10. Dallas Clark had 3 out of 58 targets in 2006. (5.2%)
    9. L.J. Smith had 4 out of 80 targets in 2006. (5.0%)
    8. Jeremy Shocky had 5 out of 115 targets in 2006. (4.3%)
    7. Desmond Clark had 3 out of 80 targets in 2006. (3.8%)
    6. Ben Utecht had 2 out of 53 targets in 2006. (3.7%)
    5. Kellen Winslow had 4 out of 119 targets in 2006. (3.4%)
    4. Jason Witten had 3 out of 92 targets in 2006. (3.3%)
    3. Antonio Gates had 4 out of 120 targets in 2006. (3.3%)
    2. Tony Gonzalez had 2 out of 103 targets in 2006. (1.9%)
    1. Todd Heap had 2 out of 115 targets in 2006. (1.7%)

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    C'mon! Stop lyin! We know it was 50%... That is why they kept him in the offseason! Stop makin excuses!:icon_evil:

:icon_rofl:

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Ant's already distorting the truth like a lawyer. :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  13. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    :tup::tup:

14. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Saw his interview on NFL network, he looks like he is very confident, and the real deal!!! Almost a little bummed that we don't have a game Sunday to see this guy play!!!!

15. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I just want to see this guy on the field catching balls

16. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    He's next up on ESPN...warning, that dick Salisbury is doing the analysis.

17. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

:lol: :bolt:

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php
    Chambers 07 Dropped 53% already
    Chambers 06 Dropped 61% (!!!)
    Chambers 05 dropped 51% (his probowl year!)
    Chambers 04 Dropped 50%
    Chambers 03 dropped 49%
    Chambers 02 dropped 48%

Even if we assume all Dolphins QBs suck this takes out impossible catches (overthrown, underthrown, whatever) and he STILL averages 50% of balls thrown to him as drops. Look at whom else catches more balls percentage wise then Chambers, among them includes Eric Parker.

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    also
    http://www.kffl.com/player.php/1070/nfl/news

KFFL
    Dolphins | Chambers has areas to improve - from www.KFFL.com
    Sun, 2 Jul 2006 06:44:06 -0700

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins WR Chris Chambers says the area that he wants to polish is his route-running, but there's something else that's a bigger concern. ESPN.com stats guru KC Joyner unearthed the fact that Chambers fumbled five times in 2005, losing two. His 17 dropped passes were second-most in the NFL behind only Chicago Bears WR Muhsin Muhammad. And Joyner said Chambers lost 318 potential yards by dropping those passes, easily the worst in the league.

20. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

From the body of the linked article,

This is a reference to incomplete passes, not dropped passes: dropped passes are not specified in publicly available play-by-play, and unfortunately we cannot yet correct for this.

Your Honor, I rest my case.

21. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    There is no question in my mind this is an upgrade to our WRs. The only fear I have is if we overpaid, but that is in the past now. So I'm just looking forward to seeing Chris in a bolt and increasing the number of catches by our WRs.

22. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Good for you Ant, with these type of "distortion" skills as a lawyer, you will be one rich dude. If I ever murder anyone, I'll look you up.

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    NO it doesn't
    that's still way too many passes thrown to him that are incomplete especially compared to other receivers even if their QBs are not that great

24. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    The main thing that the ESPN guys were saying is that this a very good upgrade for the Chargers and that the main benifactor will be Gates. Of course Salisbury had to try to get a shot on Rivers but failed.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So in 06, Terrel Owens lead the league in dropped passes. Are you saying his percentage was higher?

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Didn't say he led I said its incredibly high

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Didn't say he led I said its incredibly high

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You are wrong. RTFM. The number you are refering to is incompleted passes. NOT DROPPED PASSES.

There is a large difference there. If you think that number will be the same on this team that is fine. But why not give him a chance instead of pulling a B4L on him?:yes:

:icon_tease:

29. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    What?
    This is the article that you linked,
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

Here is the important part of the text,

This is a reference to incomplete passes, not dropped passes: dropped passes are not specified in publicly available play-by-play, and unfortunately we cannot yet correct for this.

We cannot yet fully separate the performance of a receiver from the performance of his quarterback. Be aware that one will affect the other.

Now understanding what the stats show look at the coordinator and quarterback turnover during Chambers' 6 1/3 seasons with the Dolphins;

5 coordinators (Gailey, Turner, Linehan, Mularky, Cameron)

10 QBs (Fiedler, Lucas, Griese, Feeley, Rosenfels, Frerotte, Culpepper, Harrington, Lemon, Green)

Is it too late to switch to medical school? :icon_tease:

30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929

:icon_finger: of course the information MEANS NOTHING AT ALL. I keep forgetting people don't want information in any sort different then their opinion though I made an obvious mistake