1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chambers Great Escape

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Oct 17, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Interesting insight from a guy who covered Chambers for years:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2007/10/chambers-great-.html

If you are a fan of Chris Chambers, and want him to make the most of his career, this is a great day. He may not be excited initially, because he has made a home (and has a family) here, but he will recognize his good fortune soon enough.

If you are a fan of the Dolphins, this is a bittersweet one, but a necessary one. These days, you just need picks. Everything must be aimed toward that end.

When I have a little more time later, I'll post some more of my thoughts on the trade.

In this business, you try not to play favorites. You try to remain as objective as possible, so that when you make subjective evaluations, those evaluations carry more weight. Some reporters are so close to certain athletes that you don't know whether you can trust their opinion when that athlete struggles. It is a delicate balance, and it's one of the reasons that I've pulled away in recent years. As a beat writer, you try to build relationships, because it helps you get information. As a columnist, those relationships can cause you to pull too many punches.

So this a good day for me, too. It's no secret in the sportswriter community that I had a good working relationship with Chambers, one that started during his rookie season (when I was a beat writer) and continued in many conversations away from the field in years that followed (when I started writing opinion columns). That's why my phone started blowing up the second that word spread about the trade. We never really know these guys, but I knew enough to consider him one of the most genuine athletes I've encountered, nothing like the stereotype of the NFL receiver. He didn't particularly care for the cameras. Some viewed that as him being aloof, but it wasn't. He simply didn't have much to say in those situations, knowing that if he shared any frustrations, it would come off as whining.

Click on Link to read the rest.

2. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I once read a SI poll asking NFL players of all the 32 cities with an NFL team, which would you like to play in. Miami was ranked 1st while San Diego ranked a very close 2nd.

Then there was a second poll asking of all the 32 cities, which had the best looking female fans. Coincidentally, Miami again ranked 1st while San Diego ranked a close 2nd.

With the bye, I'm sure some of the other Chargers will be taking Chambers downtown to the Gaslamp District. He will quickly forget Miami!!!

By the way, Indianapolis and Green Bay were the two bottom teams with attractive fans!!!!

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Got the link?

4. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Wasn't a link...just a couple polls on an actual SI magazine that featured Drew Brees on the cover. I'm searching SI.com and the web now. If I find it, I'll post it.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    San Diego is as right an environment for Chris Chambers as Green Bay was a wrong one for John Jefferson. I'll be highly surprised if he doesn't thrive here-and he needs to stay the hell out of the Gas Lamp during the season.

6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I lived in Seattle for a year in 1992 and although it was before Microsoft was a big player there and many people moved there to work for them......living there back then i thought that was where ugly came from.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    LMAO!!! Bro....you aren't kidding. I was there in April for 4 days and from the time I got off the plane to getting back on to go home, I didn't see one attractive person. Must be the lack of sun and too much rain!!!

8. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    That must be the real reason Dielman didn't sign with them.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    All that Salmon colors them up like flamingos.