1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chambers hopes to be homecoming king

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers remembers very clearly his reaction last October when he learned that Bolts General Manager A.J. Smith had pulled the trigger on a deal to bring wide receiver Chris Chambers to San Diego.

“It was kind of, ‘Are you serious?,’” Rivers said. “It was a little disbelief.”

When Chambers was relayed that story Wednesday, he joked that he had the same reaction, but at first it was for a different reason.

“I boo-hooed a little bit,” Chambers said, meaning his immediate reaction was one of sadness because of seven memorable seasons in Miami. After the news settled in, Chambers quickly warmed up to the thought of going from a winless club to one that was in the middle of a division title race.

“Once it really hit me that I was coming out here to be a part of this team and this organization, my spirits got picked up pretty quick,” Chambers said.

This Sunday, he’ll return to South Florida to face his old club. He’s spent some time this week walking down memory lane, but come Sunday he expects things to be business as usual.

“It may be a little emotional as we go through the week and prepare and get back on those grounds, but once we start the game it’ll be just like another game,” Chambers said. “That’s going to be my approach. I’m going to take it like another game and be well prepared to go out there and play a great game.”

Rivers had good reason to respond to the Chambers trade the way he did. Chambers left Miami as the Dolphins’ fourth-leading receiver for yards (5,688) and TD catches (43), third in 100-yard games (17) and fifth in receptions (405).

Upon his arrival in San Diego, Chambers made an immediate impact. He caught 35 passes for 555 yards and four scores in 10 regular-season games. In the playoffs, he had 16 more catches for 278 yards and another TD.

The Chargers started the season 3-3 but went 8-2 after Chambers arrived. In addition to the plays Chambers made, his presence helped others get open and greatly improved the offense.

“I think it’s well documented when he got here and once he got in the middle of it he added an instant playmaker and an instant guy that Philip could lean on,” Head Coach Norv Turner said.

Chambers has been his usual playmaking self in his first full year in lightning bolts. Through four games, he’s tied for second in the NFL with four touchdown catches and he’s averaging 24.5 yards per catch. While they’re more than happy with his big-play presence, the Chargers would like to create more opportunities for Chambers, who has made his impact despite just eight total receptions.

“He doesn’t have the numbers right now but the quality of his catches have been outstanding,” Turner said. “He’s making big plays for us and obviously scoring touchdowns. I think his numbers will go up. We certainly want that to happen.”

Chambers said Wednesday that he’d love nothing more than to find the end zone a couple of times Sunday and walk away with a victory for his current team. He thanked the Dolphins organization for treating him and his family “first class in everything,” and went out of his way to praise Owner Wayne Huizenga. He’s excited about another chance to play in front of a fan base that he described as very loyal.

“I think I’m going to get a good reaction,” Chambers said. “I left on real good terms. With me playing there for seven years, I developed a lot of relationships off the field. There may be a few (Dolphins) 84 jerseys come out there and watch me play.”

Chargers.com

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Anybody else remember the analysts that slammed Chambers? Some bullshit about productivity indices or having questionable hands... Where the **** are the naysayers now?

I can't seem to remember Chambers dropping a pass since he put on the bolts uni...

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Not too shabby...

4. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    THIS CLIP IS AWESOME

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Love to see Chambers light 'em up. Means we're chewin' 'em up.

6. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Chris Chambers probably thought he’d died & gone to Heaven…not only did he go from a winless team to a contender, Philip is by far the best quarterback that he’s had throw to him, and they’re both going back to the Pro Bowl this year!

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sure am glad hes on our team!!! :bolt: :yes: :tup: