1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chambers is ready!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BossChief, Nov 28, 2009.

1. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1594280.html

Chiefs’ Chambers out to prove Chargers made a mistake in letting him go
    By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star

Now that he’s found a safety net with the Chiefs, Chris Chambers isn’t quite as bewildered about his recent release from San Diego.

Yet Chambers, a standout at wide receiver since joining the Chiefs early this month, said he is still troubled by the way his time with the Chargers ended. He said that will help motivate him Sunday when the Chiefs play the Chargers in San Diego.

“I have a chip on my shoulder just from leaving there, to tell you the truth,” Chambers said. “I’m going to go out and play the best game I possibly can, and hopefully I’ll be able to make some plays. I’m sure it will have some emotion involved in it.”

The Chargers haven’t suffered without Chambers. They won their three games since his Nov. 2 release and scored more than 30 points in each of the past two weeks.

San Diego began rotating Chambers, 31, with a younger player, Malcom Floyd, who has given his team some big plays. Chambers had only nine catches for the Chargers in seven games.

One of his last games for San Diego came against the Chiefs in October at Arrowhead Stadium. It was indicative of his season with the Chargers. He caught no passes but dropped two, including one in the end zone.

Chambers said his problem with the Chargers rested not so much with their decision to play Floyd, but that they waited so long to release him.

“They just wanted to play younger guys,” Chambers said. “It was written on the wall, it seemed like, from training camp on. It was just waiting to happen. I’m sorry it had to happen that way. I wish they had manned up and told me straight out they were going to do this instead of dragging me along like they did.

“I had seen it coming. I’m an experienced player, and I can kind of see how they do it when they want to play other guys. But it never happened to me, so it was shocking. A lot of the players, LaDainian (Tomlinson), (Antonio) Gates and some of the other guys were definitely surprised.

“I wasn’t playing as much as I would like. I was rotating in and out of games. It didn’t help me. I’m the type of player that (needs to play) the whole game. That’s my strength. I can figure defenses out that way and get involved. When you have to wait two, three quarters to do that, it really takes away from your game.”

San Diego coach Norv Turner said the Chargers needed to get a better look at Floyd.

“I never thought it was about (Chambers’) ability,” Turner said. “When you make the decision to split time with Malcom Floyd and Chris, it’s hard on a veteran guy to handle all that.

“We’ve got some consistency there now. I don’t think what we were doing was fair to Chris or fair to Malcom, rotating those guys and trying to make it work.”

The Chiefs are grateful for San Diego’s charity. They grabbed Chambers and wasted no time getting him in their lineup. Four days after his first practice with the Chiefs, Chambers scored two touchdowns in a game at Jacksonville.

The Chiefs had 14 pass plays of 20 yards or longer in their seven games without Chambers and 12 in their three games with him. Chambers has five of them.

His 61-yard catch and run in overtime of last week’s game against Pittsburgh set up Ryan Succop’s game-winning field goal.

The Chargers haven’t been surprised that Chambers energized the Chiefs so quickly. He joined San Diego in an early season trade with Miami in 2007 and caught a touchdown pass in his first game with the Chargers.

“He was here three days and he caught a touchdown in the game,” San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers said. “So we were in the same position that Kansas City’s in now.

“We certainly knew Chris had a lot left in the tank, and he’s given Kansas City a boost.”

While he might understand San Diego’s desire to look at a younger player in Floyd, Chambers doesn’t believe over-30 receivers need to be tossed in the junk pile.

“I came in with Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, T.J. Houshmandzadeh,” Chambers said. “Those guys aren’t slowing down either. It’s all about getting the opportunities. Those guys have been getting tons of opportunities to make plays, and now I’m back to getting the opportunities, too.

“Look at my career. It’s pretty good so far, and I feel like I have a lot of good football left in me. I’m glad I’ve been able to show that with the Chiefs.”

should make for an interesting game.

2. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    We wish Chris the best of luck a week after this Sunday.

He may catch a deep one or a couple across the middle but it won't help much. I think for the first time in as long as I can remember we will take two games by big margins over the Chiefs in one year. 4 to5 sacks on Cassel coming.

3. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I feel this depends on SMs playing status.

I just hope to keep it close and to have a chance at pulling out a win with some late plays.

I think Chambers has a big day. 120 yards 2 tds good. I just hope the other receivers can capitalize on the single coverage and make em pay.

I just dont want to lose another blowout for the rest of the year. If we lose out we have a shot at Berry or Suh...it would be worth it to me, those guys are perennial all pro quality prospects.

4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    So what is the KC skinny on Dorsey?

Seems like a major disappintment so far.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Pardon me for jumping in, but Dorsey seems to be picking his game up. I'd have to say picking Tyson Jackson at #3 is a bigger mistake.

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Not worried about CC. Bracket coverage will nullify him. He's the only deep threat you have now that Bowe is out. Heck, CC would still BE here if he would have caught those easy passes that Rivers delivered to him right in his HANDS. That's the reason the Fish traded him. He can be brilliant for a while then go into a funk of dropped balls and missed catches for some reason. Not too worried about him. KC should be worried that this Charger team is on a 5 game winning streak and is playing at home. :yes:

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Quentin Jammer is also ready. :bolt:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    So are Weddle and Oliver

Bring it :icon_toast:

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    That's always been the rap on CC. He'll make the highlight catches and miss the ones that are catchable. That was the huge concern when we brought him from the Fish like LT21 says:yes: I'm glad he's caught on some where, but hope and plan to see his *** largely shut down on sun.:abq1:

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes:

I'm sure Chis will come here with a chip on his shoulder and he should. Though I don't see that as enough for a win over the Chargers.

11. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Watch him play tomorrow, he is doing everything a 5-tec is asked to and more. Hali is having an easy time playing behind him.

Tyson will be an all pro.

write it down.

12. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Did anyone make a bet with you regarding the winner of this game? Like, you have to put a tutu on Cassel or someone and wear the signature.

13. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    gimme the vegas line (13.5) and we have a deal. I get to choose the sig for you to wear if I win. The loser wears the sig till after the probowl.

to make it more interesting...

If The Chiefs win, the sig goes till opening day next year. If the Chiefs lose by 24 or more same result for me.

Do we have an agreement? Let me know if you want to tweak the parameters...

(if Castillo and Merriman both play, the bet is called off. Im a fool, but not a damned fool)

14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I think you should take the bet, straight up. :yes: Defend your team! :tup:

15. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Im sorry I am not much of a bettor, explain the 13.5 thing to me or bet someone else. The last time I bet was several years ago.

LV, you should bet him. I dont get this stuff. If he wants to take advantage of the betting noob, more power to him.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    13.5 means the Chargers would have to win by 14 points or more or you lose the bet.

17. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I just read that Merriman will probably play, but Castillo probably wont.

And I get to pick the sig for YOU to wear as well. Until the day after the ProBowl, which is February right?

The loser should have to do the same thing either way. The loser wears it until after the ProBowl or opening day next year. You shouldnt have the loser do different things IMO.

I will take the bet if it is by the 13.5 line. None of this the Chiefs have to lose by 24 or anything.

18. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Okay, where'd he go? I am going to the game in the morning, I cant wait up all night...

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    If I understood his proposal correctly, it wasn't that the loser does different things (depending on who loses) rather the length can change depending on certain factors.

Laid out plainly, at least how I understood it.

Chargers win by 24+: BossChief wears sig until opening day
    Chargers win by 14-23 pts: BossChief wears sig until ProBowl
    Chargers win by 1-13 points: Chargers fan wears sig until ProBowl
    Chargers lose: Chargers fan wears sig until opening day

Whether or not you like those terms is another question, but it wasn't like he was slanting it towards his favor. (at least not anymore than the vegas odds do)

20. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Thanks for laying it out plainly. It just seemed like he was slanting it. I could probably live with those terms.

21. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I am down with the terms if you are as well.

Bet?

22. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    If it is laid out as Leo posted it, yes. Plus we get to choose each others sig to wear.

13.5 it is.

It is on.:abq1:

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    That's kinda the basic premise of a sig bet. :lol:

24. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    He didnt have it in his post, so I am just making sure.

Smart ***.

25. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I agree.

Should make it interesting...

signed sealed and delivered!

26. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    How long are you stuck with your Bozo Chiefs Suck avatar?

27. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    till after the year is out, Ill probably take it down after the probowl to make sure I have paid in full.

28. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Good on ya for being a good sport and paying your bet in full.
    :tup: :icon_toast:

29. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    If this were a fair bet he would put the sig up on his home board if he loses.

He is wagering nothing as if they lose we won't see him again anyway until a week before we pummel his team again.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I said the very same thing about his last bet, it should be his home board. This is Rexy's hommie board so he should have to change it on his.