1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chambers opens up offense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers.com

The Chargers have attempted numerous methods to find running room for LaDainian Tomlinson in his seven NFL seasons and have enjoyed plenty of success.

Tomlinson is in position this season to repeat as the NFL rushing champion as a follow up his 2006 NFL MVP season.

But no matter what wrinkles are added to the scheme or plays are called by the Bolts’ brain trust, nothing has worked better than the acquisition of Pro Bowl wide receiver Chris Chambers from the Miami Dolphins in a mid-season trade.

So say both Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner and Tomlinson.

“Chris Chambers has come in here and had a major effect on the way people defend us,” Turner said Wednesday at Chargers Park. “It took a little while to have that effect, but the game that got us going in the right direction was the Baltimore game.”

Turner was referring to a 32-14 win on Nov. 25 at Qualcomm Stadium that started the Chargers’ five-game winning streak, wrapping up a second-straight AFC West title with a 10-5 record heading into Sunday’s regular-season finale at the Oakland Raiders.

Against Baltimore, Turner noted that Tomlinson had 10 carries for eight yards against a Ravens defense with eight men in the box.

But that opened up the passing game, and by halftime the Chargers led 22-7 with quarterback Philip Rivers hitting 20-of-28 passes for 182 yards and two touchdowns with no interception.

Rivers finished the game 25-of-35 for 249 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions. Tomlinson ended with 24 carries for 77 yards and six catches for 45 yards.

Rivers spread the ball around as tight end Antonio Gates caught six balls for 105 yards and two touchdowns, wide receiver Vincent Jackson caught five for 65 yards and Chambers five for 22 yards.

“We’re getting a lot better looks against the run and people are more concerned about our wide receivers,” Turner said. “That helps you run the ball.”

In the next four wins, Tomlinson topped 100 yards rushing in each game, even though he saw limited playing time in the second half of routes against the Detroit Lions and Denver Broncos.

He ran 23 times for 177 yards and two touchdowns against Kansas City, 26 for 146 and one touchdown against Tennessee, 15 for 116 and two touchdowns against Detroit and 19 for 107 and one touchdown against Denver.

Tomlinson said defenses are backed off the line scrimmage more now than at anytime in his pro career.

“Teams have had to chooses a little more how to play us, and when they do back off, it really feels good,” he said. “I notice it a little bit more now than I ever have before. That’s good when you’ve got weapons around you and any one of us can make the big play down the field.

“They can back off with seven men in the box or Antonio is going down the middle or you got Chris Chambers on a deep ball. It really adds more explosion to the offense. People have to really pick and choose.”

Chambers’ presence also has eased up the double coverage on third-year wide receiver Vincent Jackson. He was slowed by a shoulder injury early in the season, but in the last five games he has caught 15 balls for 226 yards, averaging 15.7 yards a reception.

“He’s healthy now,” Turner said. “We have Gatesy in the middle and Chris on one side and that has helped Vincent and even Buster (Davis), who made some plays Monday. It adds to our options and now Vincent is getting single coverage.”

Tomlinson said he felt the Chargers got a steal when they made the trade for Chambers on Oct. 16 for a second-round draft pick in 2008, and he thinks Chambers will continue to have an increased impact on the offense.

“He’s had a good career and he’s still in the prime of his career,” Tomlinson said. “His best years are ahead of him. For us to get him for a second-round pick, (General Manager) A.J. (Smith) really does a good job of sneaking guys away from teams. He does a great job of that.”

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Chambers has given us what Parker did last year. Says something about the dude.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    There were 3 milestones in my mind that contributed to the Chargers turn around this year.

1. Teddy the HUT tells Merriman to shut his pie hole and play pass defense and Merriman talks **** back and the fat man threatens to eat Merriman, and his family (winter jackets and all).

2. Shane Olivea finally meets his best friend - the bench

3. Chris freaking Chambers. While some are wondering if the rest of the staff will pan out at WR, Chambers has stones. He is packing a set of iron clad balls. I love this dude. Great signing/trade by A.J. and the missing ingredient to help get us the big enchilada - el pinche Lombardi.

4.... Honorable mentions to Cromartie and my boy Clinton Hart. They both deserve raises.
    :tup:

4. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Godammit! You bastard! I've been saving Teddy the Hut for weeks.
    :icon_tease:

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We (or this forum) had him pegged as the HUT and Fat Albert upon his hiring so that goes back to before the camps even opened up in here. I am not sure who coined the phrases ?

I coined K M A and S M D and a few other notables and you will have ample opportunity undoubtedly to create your own in due time. :lol:

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Fixed it for you.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I think he gives us a lot more than Parker did.

8. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Chambers is IMMENSELY more talented than Parker will EVER be. The two aren't even in the same conversation as far as what they bring to the table, and I like Parker.

Chambers is a stud. Wait until next year after he has a season of OTA's. With another year for Rivers, this O is going to be freaking SICK. Scary good... :yes:

9. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Fat Albert I saw, but I missed the Hutt. Must be Old Timers Disease.

10. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Chambers is a bigger threat for more yardage, but Parker was a go to guy for Rivers, the guy he could find when things were getting tight. Chambers just does it deeper. Parker was murder on reverses. What do you think is going to happen when they share the field? Gates, VJ, Chambers and Parker. Then there are Floyd and Naanee lurking off stage. Just idle speculation. I wonder if one of the surprises for the playoffs is Cro at Wide Receiver or Naanee in the slot.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Picking up Chambers was a huge gain for us this year. I still remember how he smoked us at home a couple of years ago. :icon_sad:

Now we get to watch him do that in a Chargers uni!!! :tup:

12. efunk_adelic

efunk_adelic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    those 2 are definitely on the same page. This has made a difference in the last 5 games. He looks like a genius catching Rivers ****** throws. whatever works. :icon_toast:

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Rivers threw a laser to Chambers on a go-biitch route in the last game that was a good a pass that has been thrown in the NFL.

Denver dared Brees to beat them with his arm and he could not do it and I will never ever forget that feeling. Rivers has beaten the Broncos 4 times in a row and is something which has not been done in 39 years.

As far as I am concerned, the "chosen ones" passes do not look so ****** anymore.

If he has time and protection, the brother delivers the heat.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    While you and I are happy with Philips play, I know that the best is yet to come. When he has complete control of this passing scheme it will be slice and dice. BELIEVE!!!!!!!

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The dudes next significant milestone, other than his upcoming contract, is when he says the game has slowed down for him. I have not heard him utter those words. That is good (due to upside)and bad (due to his mistakes). This year those tangibles have been running neck and neck but our schedule is not as cream-puffish this year as well.

So yeah, his ceiling has not yet been hit and that is a good thing to watch grow.

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

YOU'RE GONNA REGRET THIS!!!!

MY BOY WILL BE BACK!!!!

:yes::yes::yes:

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Your kid is on par with Dr. Hannibal Lecter. One dude ate his way out of a job as a doctor and Shane ate his way out of the NFL :yes:

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:lol::lol::lol:

does Shane like liver and fava beans???!!!

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chambers is one of the best pickups AJ has made! he has really changed the whole offense, opening things up!

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

with a nice chianti?? :icon_party:

Shane is headed outta here during the offseason. We'll get a 4th & package it to move up a little.

21. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    another big game from Chambers tomorrow and the playoff DC's will be saying Oh Phuq.... :lol:

22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

we have to much invested in him. We are not going to dump him

he'll be back

:tup::tup::tup:

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I would start shutting them down just like we did against the Mules after we have broken them.

Norv needs to be just a hair smarter than Marty and shazam.:bolt:

24. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    so, do you play LT long enough to insure the rushing title... :tup:
    what time is the biqueen/doink game... edit: same time... LT's got a C note on Peterson/Westbrook... a C note in the first half would do it... I've read the O-line, for all the bad mouthing they've gotten, REALLY wants that title for him... and I'll bet Norv does too...

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sitting players down a whole game is stupid. I can see why certain horn blowin icons back it.

I have NEVER seen a team that has sat its players do well in the playoffs. NEVER! It kills momentum. The players have to play, and not just a series. This isnt the fuggin preseason games!

This is making a run for the superbowl! We keep momentum, we play the players! End of stroy, dont let any horn blowin ball watcher tell you any different!

:)

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_huh::icon_huh::icon_huh:

you off your meds again??

who said anything about sitting them the entire game???

:icon_shrug::icon_shrug::icon_shrug:

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Who said anything about time lines... You taking meds again?:icon_huh:

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If LT wanted the title secured and not really worry about it, then he should have blown away his competition instead of asking to run in a basically meaningless game. Fuc him. :icon_eek: He should have lowered the pads a few more times and give it up but he did not and here we are asking silly *** questions.

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

you NEED meds???

30. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    talk about not taking meds... you can't be serious.... :no: